Bullet point thoughts after seeing the premiere last night

+ve

• Bob Crowley designs generally. That tree! The sea and sailing scenes
  • Dancers looking good in dramatic piece
  • Wheeldon channelling Kenneth MacMillan to unveil inner psyche
  • good and clear telling of story

-ve

• v disappointing score - it bumbled along
  • choreographically light - like the score, it could bumble for long stretches
  • On first viewing no blockbuster pdd - the lack of musical punch probably didn't help.
  • somehow missed the Basil Twist 'animatronic' baby

Sum-up
Not a knock out for me and I wanted more distinctive movement. There were lot of creatives on stage at the end for a bow. I sometimes wish that choreographers would just concentrate on steps rather than marshaling all these relationships and all that diverse creativity.

Just my 2p!

• Like 4

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

had a great night got 2 be honest that the 2nd act was my high light, loved the tree & the way thay did the sea. would def go & see it again!!

the only down side was that the running time made it a little close to get from roh to train station on time with covent garden tube station being closed.

Like some others I have lots of reservations about the piece as a whole, but none at all about Lauren Cuthberson - a really lovely performance from her and I thought that if the evening belonged to any of the dancers it was her rather than Watson.

But unlike most, I liked Act 2 the least.

• Like 1

We came away from this with big smiles in place  : a super evening for all the reasons in the two posts above - and more! 

No problems following the plot - it's all there in the dancing. And what a lot of dancing there is .... 

It seemed that a good time was had by all - especially by a woman in row A of the SC who insisted on standing for the curtain calls, blocking our view completely (trying to stand in Row B just lets you see a lot of lowering ceiling). I'm very equivocal about standing ovations that serve only to draw attention to the  exaggerated enthusiasm of the stander, to the detriment of those behind. Harrumph.

My reading of the tealeaves is that this will be a splendid keeper. Very much looking forward to seeing the second cast now.

I agree with you about standing ovations. Not so bad if everyone or nearly everyone is doing it, but the one person version can be unfortunate. Last time this happened to me was at Sadler's Wells after a performance by Sylvie Guillem. The only person to stand did so in front of me, completely blocking my view. I got her attention and asked her to sit down which she did. All part of my zero tolerance approach! :angry:  

To be honest, if I were you I would pay the supplement for a later coach, you are actually worse off in the afternoon than late at night with regard to buses due to the traffic, but the 11 does seem to be more frequent now and is the new type bus, and it does stop right at the coach station, definitely the most stress free journey.I find the quickest way is to exit the Opera House by the shop, nip down to the Strand, cross the road at the bottom of Southampton Street at the lights, walk towards Trafalgar Square to the bus stop opposite the Adelphi Theatre, if  the 11 isn't due you can walk to the Embankment tube.

Yes, I think I will just pay the supplement and have done with it.  It is already an expensive day, so a few more quid won't make much difference and it will mean I can relax. Your route is the way I usually go and as you say, the bus is the most stress free journey. Thank you for offering the info!

I am looking forward to the performance even more now, even though the reviews are somewhat mixed. Sorry Thiago Soares is injured, but I do like Bennet Gartside. Love that tree as well. Want one!

Love the piccies zxDaveM!

I feel very encouraged by these looks great but will have to wait till 29th to see it!!

Thanks LinMM - it was a pleasure to photograph, that's for sure! :-)

Can't wait to it it again tomorrow...

• Like 1

Telegraph, Times and Guardian reviews all very positive.

And Telegraph and Guardian (and others) will be included in tomorrow's links!

But if you can't wait:

Alastair Macaulay, NY Times

Judith Mackrell, Guardian

Sarah Crompton, Telegraph

Zoe Anderson, Independent

Graham Watts, London Dance

Lyndsay Winship, Evening Standard

• Like 1

Thanks Janet. As always, most interesting to read the differing perceptions of the critics, although they are all positive, with a few reservations, here. I look forward to Mr Crisp's review!

The NY Times issued a correction at the bottom of its review saying that 'Mamillius' had been spelled incorrectly; they should also issue one for the incorrect captioning of the accompanying photo!

• Like 1

The NY Times issued a correction at the bottom of its review saying that 'Mamillius' had been spelled incorrectly; they should also issue one for the incorrect captioning of the accompanying photo!

gosh - that's a bit of a howler!

• Like 1

Since they won't be showing it in cinemas in the USA, at least this year, I hope it isn't too long before a DVD is released. I really want to see this ballet (and by the RB, not the Canadian version), but there don't seem to be many options at the moment.

Since they won't be showing it in cinemas in the USA, at least this year, I hope it isn't too long before a DVD is released. I really want to see this ballet (and by the RB, not the Canadian version), but there don't seem to be many options at the moment.

with all due respect, not having seen either company perform it yet, why are you dismissive of "the Canadian version" (which isn't a "version", it's the same ballet).

with all due respect, not having seen either company perform it yet, why are you dismissive of "the Canadian version" (which isn't a "version", it's the same ballet).

The same, unless Mr Wheeldon takes the opportunity to make a few changes, which some would welcome…

Some may have noted that the performances in London are being conducted by David Briskin who is the National Ballet of Canada's Music Director.

• Like 1

Because I'm British, the Royal Ballet is my home company (along with ENB), I've been following it since the 1970s, and the National Ballet of Canada doesn't mean any more to me than any other foreign company. If I'm going to pay to see The Winter's Tale, I'd rather pay to see the Royal Ballet do it, in whatever medium that is. I'm not going to claim that this is a rational attitude or anything, but spending decades being an unwilling expat has its effects. :mellow:

Edited by Melody
  • Like 5

Interesting that a lot of reviewers/ comments specifically mention Watson being a bit OTT.

I'm beginning to feel a bit sorry for Ed Watson.  He's a lovely dancer but in serious danger of being typecast. 

Even in the lighthearted Aiice in Wonderland he was a twitchy, clock-watching White Rabbit - not at all a happy bunny!

I remember an eminent actor (name on application) saying that after a particularly stunning and award-winning performance as a seriously anguished character, he was only offered similar roles and would love a nice light 'kissy-kissy' role (his words, not mine). 

I think choreographers are now seeing Ed only as only capable of playing damaged and suffering men.  I'd like to see him in a joyous and happy role, just for once, please!

Linda

Edited to expand topic.

Edited by loveclassics
  • Like 5

I doubt that Watson is upset about being given one of the leads in a brand new, full length ballet which has received almost universal critical acclaim. As has been discussed on here before, few dancers at the RB dance (successfully) the full range of works from classical to neo-classical to Ashton to MacMillan to modern works by McGregor etc. I won't be seeing him in The Winter's Tale but what may come across as over-acting to people sitting towards the front of the stalls may be very effective for people sitting high up in the amphitheatre. I think that it must be hard to get the balance right.

• Like 3

I doubt that Watson is upset about being given one of the leads in a brand new, full length ballet which has received almost universal critical acclaim. As has been discussed on here before, few dancers at the RB dance (successfully) the full range of works from classical to neo-classical to Ashton to MacMillan to modern works by McGregor etc. I won't be seeing him in The Winter's Tale but what may come across as over-acting to people sitting towards the front of the stalls may be very effective for people sitting high up in the amphitheatre. I think that it must be hard to get the balance right.

Your are absolutely right Aileen, you should always act/dance/perform  to the back row in the balcony not the front row of the stalls. They are equally entitled you your regard.

It took me a long time to get into this ballet. That may have been because I was shattered after a beast of a journey down to London. Act I more or less washed over me. I could not follow it at all. However, things got better by the second Act and I loved the exuberance of the festival. Act III was lovely. I will do a proper review when I can get wifi access.

It took me a long time to get into this ballet. That may have been because I was shattered after a beast of a journey down to London. Act I more or less washed over me. I could not follow it at all. However, things got better by the second Act and I loved the exuberance of the festival. Act III was lovely. I will do a proper review when I can get wifi access.

Just curious - how can you do a 'proper review' if the whole of the first act washed over you, and you could not follow it at all. It was pretty straight forward to my mind - the provided synopsis almost seemed too long and detailed if anything.

• Like 3

Just curious - how can you do a 'proper review' if the whole of the first act washed over you, and you could not follow it at all. It was pretty straight forward to my mind - the provided synopsis almost seemed too long and detailed if anything.

I had read the synopsis, reviews anf much else besides before coming to London. I also knew the play

Yes I could follow the story but I could not get any pleasure from it. That may have been because I was tired and hungry but the only thing that kept me in my seat was the thought that I had paid a lot of money and come a long way. I started to get into the show in Act II and I really enjoyed Act III. I need to see this work again to aee whether the slow burn was down to me or down to the show. I can certainly report on what I saw and heard and how I reacted. The question is whether I can do justice to the show.

• Like 3

I need to see this ballet a few more times before making too many comments as there is so much to take in, but after last night's performance from mid amphi I though the design, lighting, and special effects were superb and went off without a hitch, the bit with the bear was okay from above, very menacing sounds from the orchestra and huge billowing silk drapes created danger, but could only just see a bear's head painted on them for a second (looked more like a wolf). I have a DVD of the RSC and something very similar was done there so not entirely new to me, but having a dancer in a bearsuit would just encourage laughter.

I had a few problems with the music and was slightly disappointed with the second act after reading all the fabulous reviews, there was some beautiful dancing in there but not easy to follow a solo or pdd through to the end, dancers seemed to vanish into the wings, but I think that's the intention. The final scene with the statue is very sombre and moving, and so well danced by Lauren Cuthbertson and Edward Watson. I didn't think he overacted but I was sitting high up.

Because I'm British, the Royal Ballet is my home company (along with ENB), I've been following it since the 1970s, and the National Ballet of Canada doesn't mean any more to me than any other foreign company. If I'm going to pay to see The Winter's Tale, I'd rather pay to see the Royal Ballet do it, in whatever medium that is. I'm not going to claim that this is a rational attitude or anything, but spending decades being an unwilling expat has its effects. :mellow:

Ok, just wondering how y'all would react if I were to say, "Because I'm Canadian, the NBOC is my home company, and the Royal Ballet and ENB don't mean anything to me so I don't want to pay for a DVD of them performing a ballet".

I'm not going to claim that this is a rational attitude 

Erm ..... It isn't.

Am I alone in feeling Items No. 50 and (especially) No. 53 border on being offensive?   (Don't worry I won't feel offended if you say I am.)  I myself wonder what those Canadian-born alumni who have served in the Royal Ballet - amongst whose number off the top of my head include Lynn Seymour, Wayne Eagling, Jennifer Penney, Tamara Rojo, etc., might well think should they ever care to read - or be passed - such commentaries as those as herein referenced on this Forum.   I pray Canada has - as the current British coalition government might well put it- "broader shoulders" than good ol' 'Little England' in this instance.  Sadly - as my mother used to say - 'such words can but speak for themselves'.  

Merely adding - and my own writing must have crossed with your own post - WELL SAID, KATHERINE.  

Edited by Meunier
  • Like 1

Ok, just wondering how y'all would react if I were to say, "Because I'm Canadian, the NBOC is my home company, and the Royal Ballet and ENB don't mean anything to me so I don't want to pay for a DVD of them performing a ballet".

I'll be fine with that, it's your money and your choice. I'd have more of a problem with people laying into you for having an opinion that differs from theirs.

• Like 3