ROH 2014/15 Period 1 casting

Vadim Muntagirov guested once in National Ballet of Japan's Giselle with Daria and though unfortunately I could not see, their partnership was reported sensational. This time he is dancing with the company's ballerina, and he is a "Guest Principal for the season". I am much looking forward to see him.

Daria Klimentova will be guest teacher for NBJ next season.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chrischris, Muntagirov will have the power and technical ability for the role and I don't suppose that he'll have trouble with the partnering as he's very experienced in negotiating spectacular and tricky lifts. The only question will be be whether he can convince as a cheeky chappy.

Those of us who were lucky enough to see Vadim dance an extract from Le Train Bleu with great humour will have no doubts about his ability to portray Basilio in Don Q. Moreover, he has danced the pdd many times with huge aplomb.

I'm not a fan of Laura Morera in the traditional romantic and classical ballets, but I simply can't understand why she hasn't been cast as Kitri in Don Q. Having seen her Mercedes, which was so much better than everyone else's, I think that she'd be perfect as Kitri.

Can't understand this either. Agree about her Mercedes. And, of course, Laura did dance Kitri thirteen years ago or so!

• Like 1

Just had an email from ROH advising that the casts for two performances of Month in the Country are switched, so it's now:

5 November: Bonelli/Osipova

12 November: Pennefather/Yanowsky

I am not at all pleased.  I had managed to get a front row seat and a hotel for the night which, for some reason was not easy on 12 November, so it will be difficult to change my ticket now so will have to go along with the change.  I too wanted to see Osipova in Month in the Country.  Quite disappointing really

This is because Osipova was already contracted to dance Giselle at that time with Sarafanov for the Mikhailovsky Ballet at the Koch Theatre in Lincoln Center. Many people in NYC assumed she would cancel and were, in fact, equally as upset as the (understandably annoyed) previous poster. Now at least Osipova will be able to honour both of her contractual obligations.  (Not, of course, that such helps with the situation laid out above.)  .

Edited by Bruce Wall

I am not at all pleased.  I had managed to get a front row seat and a hotel for the night which, for some reason was not easy on 12 November, so it will be difficult to change my ticket now so will have to go along with the change.  I too wanted to see Osipova in Month in the Country.  Quite disappointing really

Just managed to exchange my tickets despite being in middle of Staffordshire Union Canal thanks to wifi phone signal at the pub. Or rather. I had to buy new tickets and the others will be refunded when I can return them. Graciously, the ROH isn't going to charge an exchange fee for needing to do this! Now to change my hotel booking,,..

Whoops sorry just checked my ticket and it's for the 4th November. Now I am worried .......will she be doing the role two days running then.....even though I know it's not a full length one?

Yes indeed....some of us were looking forward to seeing Yanowsky! and indeed Pennefather, whom I haven't seen for about 3 years due to injury, changes etc. 

But I shall go with the flow...

yeah in my opinion he is better than Bonelli in this role, but I will be interested to see Osipova.

yeah in my opinion he is better than Bonelli in this role, but I will be interested to see Osipova.

Perhaps, where forum members have booked for specific dancers, there is a case for exchanging tickets for others of a similar price/location. I, for one, have two tickets for the 12th (now with Yanowsky and Pennefather) that I would be happy to exchange for Osipova and Bonelli on the 5th (or any other Osipova/Bonelli date apart from 22nd October) as I already have tickets for Yanowsky and Pennefather on another date - and I agree with LinnMM that this role really suits Yanowsky. My tickets are the £6 row B side amphitheatre if anyone is interested but I only wish to exchange them - I do not wish to offer them for sale generally - which is why I haven't used the ticket exchange forum. The box office, of course, does not have any decent seats at this price so I may otherwise have to trade up to £27 or more.

• 1 month later...

Full casting for Manon is now on the ROH website:

http://www.roh.org.uk/productions/manon-by-kenneth-macmillan

Edited to paste in casting.  Apologies for the strange format.  It wasn't like that in my original document!

Friday 26 September 2014, 7.30pm 

Nuñez Bonelli Cervera Saunders Morera Avis

Saturday 27 September 2014, 12.30pm 

Lamb Pennefather Campbell Tuckett Crawford Underwood

Tuesday 30 September 2014, 1pm 

Hayward Watson Campbell Whitehead Crawford Gartside

Wednesday 1 October 2014, 7.30pm 

Morera Kish Cervera Saunders Choe Gartside

Saturday 4 October 2014, 2pm 

Marquez McRae Zucchetti Whitehead Choe Gartside

Saturday 4 October 2014, 7pm 

Sunday 5 October 2014, 12 noon 

Cuthbertson Muntagirov Zucchetti Avis Choe Whitehead

Tuesday 7 October 2014, 7.30pm 

Osipova Acosta TBA Saunders Calvert Avis

Wednesday 8 October 2014, 7.30pm

Marquez McRae Zucchetti Whitehead Choe Gartside

Thursday 9 October 2014, 7.30pm 

Cuthbertson Muntagirov  Zucchetti Avis Choe Whitehead

Friday 10 October 2014, 7.30pm 

Lamb Pennefather Campbell Tuckett Crawford Underwood

Saturday 11 October 2014, 12.30pm 

Morera Kish Cervera Saunders Choe Gartside

Monday 13 October 2014, 7.30pm 

Hamilton Golding Gartside Avis Calvert

Wednesday 15 October 2014, 7.30pm 

Hayward Watson Campbell Whitehead Crawford Gartside

Thursday 16 October 2014, 7.30pm 

Saturday 25 October 2014, 7.30pm 

Osipova Acosta TBA Saunders Calvert Avis

Wednesday 29 October 2014, 7.30pm 

Yanowsky Bolle Acosta Tuckett Morera Avis

Saturday 1 November 2014, 7pm 

Yanowsky Bolle Acosta Tuckett Morera Avis

Edited by Bluebird

It's *always* Acosta who sells the shows :)  And there really *are* too many Manons.

Hang on, I've just realised that Soares' name is nowhere to be seen.  Is he injured?

I don't think he's injured.

He was at Festival Ballet in Tivoli in the past days and he danced with Marianela "In the Night" of Jerome Robbins.

My friend and I seem to have accidentally

booked for the front row of the stalls!  (In the side block).  Please come and say hello if you see us!

We have tickets in the amphitheatre which were originally bought for my son and his girlfriend. Unfortunately, due to work/performance commitments they cannot get the time off to make the journey from Warsaw (Polish National). If I spot you from our dizzy heights I will come and say hello - it will be great to meet someone from the Forum.

I don't have 'the inside track' but, going on past experience, the dancers who are only listed for one performance are the ones who usually dance in the schools matinee.  This would mean that Melissa Hamilton and Matthew Golding would be the likely cast for Friday afternoon.  

Actually on that note.. does anyone know when they rehearse in the studio? I got a backstage tour thinking it might be nice just to get a glimpse of the backstage preparation. If they dance that night, are they rehearsing that afternoon?

Re unsold Manon tickets my husband got an email from the ROH offering discounts for certain performances. matinees 27th and 30th September, stalls £45 and amphi £26  and evening performances 1st and 8th October, stalls £52, amphi £34. You can book online with the code manonreturns in the code box or phone the box office and quote the code. Presumably I wasn't sent the email as I had already booked though given that many ballet enthusiasts book for several casts it would have been nice to have the opportunity.

Also though I am personally pleased to see so many performances of full length ballets such as Manon, Don Q and Onegin as it gives me greater choice of dates and casting I am slightly concerned that the sheer number of performances may lead to overwork and injuries so early in the season.