Nunez Acosta

Marquez Campbell

Osipova Golding

Takada Muntagirov

Kaneko Soares

Lamb Bonelli

TBC McRae

• Like 1

Oh my.....some of these pairings are going to be amazing.  I am already dribbling like a baby.  Oh well, looks like my whole year's ballet budget is going to be blown on this run because I'm going to every one of them!!  Especially whetting my appetite is the prospect of Lauren/Vadim and, even more interestingly, Frankie Hayward with Ed Watson.  Wow....what a chance for this lovely young dancer.   Am thrilled that Laura Morera, my favourite Manon, is getting another go as well.

http://www.roh.org.uk/productions/manon-by-kenneth-macmillan

• Like 2

And not only for Manon, but that got me most excited of all of them!  Here is some more:

http://www.roh.org.uk/productions/don-quixote-by-carlos-acosta

Featuring Osipova/Acosta and Takada/Muntagirov

http://www.roh.org.uk/productions/alices-adventures-in-wonderland-by-christopher-wheeldon

Featuring Frankie Hayward as Alice.  I had a feeling she might be dancing Alice!!

• Like 1

Oh my.....some of these pairings are going to be amazing.  I am already dribbling like a baby.  Oh well, looks like my whole year's ballet budget is going to be blown on this run because I'm going to every one of them!!  Especially whetting my appetite is the prospect of Lauren/Vadim and, even more interestingly, Frankie Hayward with Ed Watson.  Wow....what a chance for this lovely young dancer.   Am thrilled that Laura Morera, my favourite Manon, is getting another go as well.

Less thrilled about the Morera/Bonelli partnership being split up, though :(

I'd wondered if Hayward might be cast as Lise this season, but I must admit that Manon hadn't occurred to me. What a chance for her!

• Like 1

Less thrilled about the Morera/Bonelli partnership being split up, though :(

I'd wondered if Hayward might be cast as Lise this season, but I must admit that Manon hadn't occurred to me. What a chance for her!

Rather surprised too. Isn't she a bit too young for such a role? Dancing "Manon" needs a mature dancer IMO. She was really lovely as a young Clara, the best I have ever seen in years, and I liked her in Rhapsody too. Well, let's see what such a young dancer can bring to the role.

Edited by Nina G.
  • Like 1

Yanowsky as Manon, with Bolle? Wow, didn't see that one coming!

Surprised Soares isn't doing Des Grieux

Yes, that surprised me as well.

Has Yanowsky done Manon before?  I can't remember the last time I saw her in anything substantial. 

She's doing Winter's Tale, and did Rubies. I'm happy to see her cast in Manon, though a bit disappointed they have got Bolle in to dance with her. Not a criticism of him, as i'm sure he's excellent, but surely there are some tall younger male dancers in the company who could have been given the opportunity, or, if not, some of the taller principals could have had extra performances.

Happy about Nunez and Bonelli, as think they will do well together, and it will be nice to see Nunez with someone other than Soares. Lamb and Pennefather are the best Manon duo i've seen so far, so happy to see them. Cuthbertson and Vadim should be interesting. Not too interested in Osipova and Acosta to be honest, but I am intrigued by Hamlton and Golding. I like Hamilton in Macmillan works, so will be good to see her Manon, but Goldng doesn't strike me as the strongest actor.

• Like 2

Gosh, Francesca Hayward is being fast tracked. One should never speculate, but does anybody else think Zenaida Yanowsky is being allowed to return to Manon (and with Roberto Bolle) as a valedictory treat in a final season....

That's what I was wondering, looking at the timing. I hope we're not seeing the date of her retirement performance there, but I wouldn't be surprised.

One should never speculate, but does anybody else think Zenaida Yanowsky is being allowed to return to Manon (and with Roberto Bolle) as a valedictory treat in a final season....

The thought never occurred to me, I must admit.  She's already down on record as saying that O'Hare doesn't have an issue with height, so I'm not sure I'd read any more into it than that.

but surely there are some tall younger male dancers in the company who could have been given the opportunity, or, if not, some of the taller principals could have had extra performances.

Such as?  The partnering in Manon isn't easy, by any means, and I don't see anyone doubling-up at this stage.  Yes, I know Kish had to replace Bonelli last year, but this far in advance I don't think it would make sense to give any Des Grieux two Manons to deal with.  It would probably be a bit of a nightmare administratively, apart from anything else.

Guest chinafish

Am for one hoping to see Zen as Queen of Hearts in Alice again, so hoping Manon won't be her last performances!

• Like 1

If you're thinking that the start of this thread looks a bit odd, it's because I've moved a few casting comments into it which were posted on the new season thread before Sim started this one (I hope that makes sense!)

• Like 1

I agree with everyone. Lots of wonderful casting - yeah for Francesa's opportunities, big smiles at a chance to see Morera and  hoorah for a chance to see Yanowsky. I whipped myself into a state of excitement reading everyone's comments and salivating over which performances I would attend and then reality set in.

I'll be home at Christmas time so Alice and Don Quixote are sure bets but I sure picked the wrong season to be working abroad :(  :angry:  Drats... I'll be depending on you all to write entertaining reviews filled with vivid recanting of the performances, mention of the nuances and bits of detail and please don't forget to throw in a bit of humour.

• Like 2

I'd also intimate that despite Yuhui Choe's replacing Osipova again, Francesca Hayward's casting in two principal roles against Choe's know suggests that management is still ambivalent to promotion for Choe.

It looks like it :(

No Principal role for Miss Choe in Manon or Don Q. (Mr. O'Hare has cast Miss Takada and Kaneko as "Kitri" over Miss Choe, and Miss Hayward as "Manon" over her); she only gets Principal performances as "Alice". The fast tracking of Miss Hayward may be a sign of things to come and I wouldn't be surprised she'll also gets cast as "Lise" later on in the year (potentially three Principal roles for a First Artist in one Season. When has that ever happened before?). 

I have always had the feeling Management does not share the audience's enthusiasm for Miss Choe (it must be so disheartening for her). 

In the end it all comes down to who "they" like, no matter how hard a dancer is working. I wish the very best for Miss Choe!

• Like 2

I am sure this has been said before, but I find some of the soloist choices for Principal roles slightly odd, when some of the Principal dancers seem a bit underused.

I am not picking out any individual soloist here.  I am sure they will be excellent, and I am delighted that up and coming dancers are being given the opportunity.  But if there are already existing Principals who either get only one performance, or have never danced a particular role, then I begin to wonder what they have done wrong. 

Likewise, if someone like Choe is being given more and more Principal roles, but still retains her soloist status, this doesn't seem quite fair either.  Bit like doing the boss's job at work for a couple of years, but only getting middle management salary!