Are there any other Cricket Fans here?

Terpsichore

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Normally this time of the year the cricket season would be in  full swing.

We may be excluded from our studios and the theatres may be dark but at least dancers can still attend classes like the ones I mentioned in  "Doing Dance" or meet out favourite artists through "Stage Door" which I mentioned in another forum.

But you can't bowl over Zoom or dive for a catch online.   There are bowling machines but they are not cheap  and require at least 22 yards of garden and probably two to operate safely.

Oh for the sound of leather on willow.   Long summer days by  the green.    Eheu fugaces labuntur anni.

The same with so many sports :( 

Talking about large amounts of garden, did you see the three-way pole-vaulting competition between three of the top pole-vaulters in the world (Lavillenie, DuPlantis and Kendricks) on the news the other day?  I was amazed they had the space, although I remember reading a few years ago that Greg Rutherford had a full long-jump track in his back garden!

• Like 2

When I was a child I used to bounce a tennis ball against our garage door.   That was to improve my tennis but I suppose it would also improve our fielding.

We shall be very lucky to see any first class cricket in the British Isles this season. With any luck there may be a winter tour and cricket in the southern hemisphere, Indian subcontinent and Caribbean to which we may look forward.

Nevertheless,  I am missing cricket even more than I am missing ballet and am quite désolée.    I wonder how Xander Parrish and Alexander Campbell feel.   

• 2 months later...

O dies mirabilis. A test match against the West Indies, the return of recreational cricket and a challenging but enjoyable class with Shannon Lilly of San Francisco Ballet.

What more could anyone desire today?

If it rains for the rest of the summer or Holmfirth returns to lock down we have at least one day's glorious respite. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have had cricket forced upon me over the last 5 decades, but it's slowly turned me into a fan. I still don't get test matches, although I think I voice my complaints in proper fashion i.e Me, when the England score is approaching 600 - "Why doesn't Root declare so we get a proper 5 day match"; BD, patiently "Because it's all about winning": Me "But that's so boring..." It will come as no surprise to you that I live for the IPL I love the bravado and the mad Indian grannies in the crowd! And Kohli, though I'm off him a bit at the moment, on account of India pulling out of the last test.

This love of a bravura hit dates back to the time BD and I went to a Hampshire one-dayer at Basingstoke. Viv Richards was playing, and he hit a six out of the ground. The ball smashed into the roof of the house opposite, and the resulting glorious cascade of tiles was one of the seminal moments of my life (Although probably not the house owner's) 

PS Any fans of Le Tour on the forum? BD & I have to reach a compromise during those three weeks June-July. He takes his radio into the garden and the dog and I watch the cycling. Fortunately, none of us are tennis fans.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AnneMarriott said:

Mystified, not offended.  Still mystified, by the way!

So am I. Why would someone on this forum worry about my partner's name? It's nothing to do with ballet or cricket. I gave random initials because he has a right to be anonymous with anything I post. 

1 hour ago, RosiesDream said:

So am I. Why would someone on this forum worry about my partner's name? It's nothing to do with ballet or cricket. I gave random initials because he has a right to be anonymous with anything I post. 

I think people tend to use recognisable acronyms rather than mysterious initials associated with a random name.  I've got to admit I was very puzzled and even went as far as googling the name.

Quite often people just say husband or wife or partner without mentioning a name or use the initials DH for dancing (or darling) husband.  

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I think people tend to use recognisable acronyms rather than mysterious initials associated with a random name.  I've got to admit I was very puzzled and even went as far as googling the name.

Quite often people just say husband or wife or partner without mentioning a name or use the initials DH for dancing (or darling) husband.  

Thank you for the help.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

As many of you may have guessed, I am a big fan of the Dutch National Ballet.  Over the years I have developed an interest in and affection for the Netherlands.   I find we in Britain have a lot in common with the Dutch.

One of the interests we share is obviously dance but another seems to be cricket.   Today, England is playing the Netherlands at the Cricket World Cup (see the BBC Sports website).

While I am obviously rooting for England I celebrate the Netherlands's emergence as a major cricketing nation and look forward to its joining Ireland as another European test-playing competitor.