Can't log on when using my laptop

MAB

Not that it's any help but I couldn't log in about a week ago.  At John's suggestion (and of course the IT solution to just about everything) I restarted my new laptop and it worked.

I'm still trying to resolve the issues I caused myself when I downloaded Firefox onto my new HP laptop and found I was getting popup adverts to the point of wanting to throw the blummin' thing off the top of the highest building I could find and then stamping on the remains!  For some reason, one of the issues was the highlighting of every other words in postings on the forum and if you hovered over them - guess what, you got an advert.  Also I could not clear "likes" and had to open the messaging system in a new window!

• Like 2

I'm still trying to resolve the issues I caused myself when I downloaded Firefox onto my new HP laptop and found I was getting popup adverts to the point of wanting to throw the blummin' thing off the top of the highest building I could find and then stamping on the remains!  For some reason, one of the issues was the highlighting of every other words in postings on the forum and if you hovered over them - guess what, you got an advert.  Also I could not clear "likes" and had to open the messaging system in a new window!

Don't know what the problem is but I've been using Firefox for years (on Windows and Android) and never seen anything like this associated with a new download. Mozilla, by culture, don't generally release apps configured with lots of 'spamy' extra's - usually just get the browser and its up to you if you want to use add-ons and which ones. But such choices are usually very overt.

To be honest it sounds like some nasty extra has found it was onto your system. Do a full virus scan if you havn't already. I also get Malwarebytes (from http://www.malwarebytes.org/) and run that - its free.

I'd probably also uninstall Firefox and get a fresh copy direct from: http://www.mozilla.org

The AdBlock add-on should do the trick there, surely, unless it is actually some form of malware?

Mozy's latest nasty little trick, BTW (unless they've stopped it since my horrid virus infection of last autumn) is NOT to let you download the program as such.  Instead, you download something which you assume is the program (in my case, in the library because I was unable to get online at the time) and it turns out to be a tiny stub in the range of a few thousand KB.  Once you've executed that, it then goes online and picks up the rest of the program (or tries to, in my case).  Fine if your broadband is working, but not if it's been crippled by the virus.

The AdBlock add-on should do the trick there, surely, unless it is actually some form of malware?

AdBlock is about stopping normal advertising, but what Janet described did not sound like normal advertising at all. Anyway hope you sort it Janet.