National Youth Ballet auditions 2014

Danceroo

Hi dtadmin and dancing2003, I also watched last night both of your daughters danced beautifully. It's my dds first season so she was really nervous also dancing in the junior solos. Nerves got the better of her and she made a swift exit bless her but at least she remembered most if it! Was lovely to see so many of the little ones wanting to perform and choreograph their own pieces though xx

Edited by Lollyppop
  • Like 2

My dd was also in the junior section last night but as I haven't spoken to her yet have no idea how it went! She didn't have a costume and I did get a last minute call yesterday expressing her concern! I tried to reassure her that it didn't matter and they were focussing on the dancing ! Hope there were others in the same boat? She is having a blast though and at the last minute decided to board from yesterday. I am really looking forward to watching the production.

• Like 2

Ahhh...Danceroo - she may have even won and you don't know yet!  What did she dance to?  A young girl in black leotard and black skirt won the junior section!

My DD said there were a couple of new boarders so there were a couple of room changes :)

They all looked really happy last night with the exception of a couple of tearful girls - tears brought on by seeing their parents I think - from what DD has messaged us about, it sounds as though they are all having a great time.  We haven't spoken to DD on the phone at all yet - we just get messages between 7.00 and 8.00pm each night, so that tells us she's not homesick at all and loving it!

My dd also started boarding on Wednesday she was so desperate to stay and has made lots of friends. I only got her phone to her yesterday via a chaperone so don't even know if she knows it's there to get in touch tonight, I hope so, really want to see how shes doing.

• Like 2

I was there to for the choreography and I must state that I know nothing about dance but, can not understand the feed back on one of the senior comments. I'm not sure of the dancers names but it was the piece called "angel in the stars" (the female dancer was wearing a light green dress) about the loss of a loved one, she said that the music did not go with the dance, and the dance was stronger than the music, but the song is about someone who has a terminal illness. This one piece was so good that I had a tear, I was very surprised that this particular piece wasn't placed.

As I said before I know nothing about dance so can anyone that was there and knows more than me please explain how this didn't get placed, as I would really like to know. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Dancing for joy. I wasn't there but I have been in the past many years running. I think if something is cliched ie. the music is a song and the dance inspired by that it doesn't tend to go down very well, this is quite hard to achieve too as the words can evoke a different level of emotion in everyone and to the dancer in question she obviously felt very strong emotions which inspired her dance whereas the adjudicator/s may not have read the song in the same way and the dance formed a mismatch in their mind. I think it is wise to avoid words in music when choreographing until you are really confident in bringing out the right level of meaning. I also know there have been a few 'festival' dances entered in the past and it doesn't take much detective work for this to become known during the evening so that is another little factor if the competition I am NOT saying this was the case here but it does happen. Finally I expect there were just pieces they preferred. Tough bun as my hubby would say! Hope that helps. :)

• Like 1