The Royal Ballet - Sleeping Beauty, Spring 2014

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm relatively new to ballet so don't really know what happened before her partnership with McRae, but to me she's always been making their performances just as enjoyable as he has, I'll add her Odette/Odile and Manon to the list of roles I have found her great in (although I must say I've only seen her as Juliet in the past run and didn't like her that much then).

It does seem that McRae is being put forward for a bigger profile within the company, and as he keeps increasing the theatrics, they may no longer always be ideally suited to dancing together, but I don't think it means anything about her, they are just developing as artists in occasionally different directions (I for instance fully support not having them together in Don Q).

ETA: and I just see that a book of pictures of McRae is about to be published.

Edited by A frog
  • Like 1

The question of partnerships at the RB interests me as the dancers don't seem to have regular partners in the way that they do at some of the other companies. I shall be very interested to see how Golding and Muntagirov fit into the mix. Regarding Marquez, although she has danced with McRae a lot in the past recently he has been partnering Lamb more, particularly in high profile performances eg the opening night and cinema broadcasts of Beauty, and has also danced with Osipova, leaving her to dance with a number of different partners eg Kish (not an obvious choice as he is so much taller than her), Campbell and Hirano,

Cattalabutte was played by Thomas Whitehead on the 5th April and very good and entertaining he was too!!

I also forgot to say earlier too how good Kristen McNally was that night as Carabosse loved her performance.

hello A Frog, thanks for your comments about Roberta Marquez's performance. I totally agree.

I was lucky in march 2004, when I went  to London, and I saw 4 auroras in just 3 days. so lucky¡¡¡

thursday night, Nuñez, I think it was her debut as Aurora, maybe I'm wrong, but I think it was her debut that night. anyway, she was superb, as always.

Friday, day off... :)

Saturday, matinée ( Darcey Bussell...injured or ill,I dont know,  so Cojocaru came to that matinée, very nice she was of course, but I wanted sooo much to see Darcey.

Saturday evening, Rojo, ok, but no smiles...maybe she was not very good that evening. who knows.

And then sunday 3pm. Roberta Marquez, the star¡¡¡

Really, she was the BEST of the serie. and as I had seen the other 3 stars, so recently, just a few hours before, I could compare them, and definitely, Marquez was first class¡¡¡ what an ideal aurora, IDEAL :)

Edited by Swan66
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nice to see a youngster given an outing - maybe the whole Xander Parish business has led to a rethink of how they treat the male corps members.

I also appreciated the way Anthony Dowell was explaining how Margot Fonteyn did things; hopefully that sort of coaching will mean that the Royal Ballet Sleeping Beauty still has some of its own flavor and doesn't start looking like everyone else's.

Here's a link to the video.

Edited by Melody

Up late, it's 5am. Just about to go to bed.

If you want to embed a YouTube video, just click Share and a box will show up containing a URL. Just copy the URL (the one that starts with http://youtu.be...) and it should embed. If you copy the URL from the bar above the page, it won't embed, you'll just see the link.

Edited by Melody
  • Like 1