Winter Olympics

balletla

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So who did you agree with the medal placings in the pairs ice dance today?

I have to say I couldn't decide between the Canadians and the Americans. I really didn't like the 3rd place Russians even though everybody kept raving about their Black Swan routine. I actually really liked the Russians who came 5th. They did a very emotional performance but didn't get a very good mark for it.

Also, while we're on it, since when did Sue Barker qualify as an ice skating commentator? Lovely as she is, she knows nothing about it and makes embarrassing mistakes which Robin Cousins has to correct. Surely Robin could have done it on his own or with someone else who actually knows about ice skating?

• Like 3

I'm not a fan of Robin Cousins myself - I find his commentary kind of dull, lacking enthusiasm and not useful. When I had the channel I loved the Eurosport guys Simon and Chris, who were/are terrific. It helped that Simon was a tennis guy not a skater, but he was such an enthusiast, and Chris would explain everything to him, not just list jumps but explain edges and all kinds of obscure stuff that no one else did, so I learned loads watching with them.

I'm a Virtue and Moir fan but I didn't love their free program this year. I was happy with the result. Davis and White were fabulous, so exciting to watch and you can't beat Scherazade music for great drama

So who won? I must watch the catch-up then!

For me, it's Meryl and Charlie any time!  Techinically so clean (gosh those lifts!) and accurate, yet so musical and just great performers - mind you, I have no knowledge ice skating so I am puring seeing it from dance point of view.

In my opinion they should have won the gold medal in Vancouver...

Now I have watched the free programme!  Meryl and Charilie so deserved the gold medal.

Agree with you Ribbon about the Black Swan... I was not impressed at all either.  I think it would have been better if they didn't pretend it was ballet.  I do, however wonder if I am a bit harsh as I am comparing this couple to Kirov dancers... 

Agree with you Ribbon about the Black Swan... I was not impressed at all either.  I think it would have been better if they didn't pretend it was ballet.  I do, however wonder if I am a bit harsh as I am comparing this couple to Kirov dancers... 

I'm not.  I'm just listening to the music, looking at their programme and wondering how the two fit together.  As I said somewhere above, it's not music that's suited to ice skating.

And what a shame that two couples both chose Michael Jackson.

When I was living in Portugal, I met someone who worked for the individual who purchased the site on behalf of Tesco.  I know that they said some hard bargaining was being done, as Tesco were not keen at all at having to fund a new ice rink.  I am relieved that somebody somewhere managed to use some influence. 

Good job somebody did.  There's a large Tesco in Beckenham (London/Kent borders) which Tesco's wanted to expand.  They sweetened the pill by offering to build a bus turnaround/interchange with the railway and tram.  The upshot is a vastly expanded Tesco's (in which, incidentally, you can't even get a mobile signal, so forget ringing home to discuss what you want for supper) with an ugly white 2-storey car park built over what used to be a ground-level one - oh, and the promised bus interchange.  Only trouble is: there are, what, half-a-dozen bus routes within a couple of minutes of the store, but the only two to use it are the two which actually terminate there (and therefore clog up the stands for ages before they leave again, rather than just calling in).  *And* they go in completely opposite directions.  For the other 4 routes, those haven't been diverted into the interchange (not enough space for all of them, I'd guess, because it's only small), so there is still effectively no interchange with the trains and trams, and you still have to walk getting on for 5 minutes to some of their stops.  Even if you don't, you have to commit to either getting bus A going in one direction from the interchange, or bus B in the same direction from a different stop (or catch both from yet another, farther-away, stop).  The result is that it's barely used.

There has been a "discussion" raging for years about the expansion of Sainsburys in Crosby.  There is a sort of roundabout of buildings near the existing shop, half of which was demolished some years ago but is still just a giant hole in the ground.  It is a total eyesore!

In respect of Tescos, where else could you buy a television at 1700 on Christmas Eve when yours has just died???  They do have their uses!

• Like 1

Yes, it is shocking that ice skating rinks have been shut all over the place.  I used to go with my school to Streatham ice rink, as did all the other schools in the area.  Then, the site was bought by.Tesco.  Yep, just what we all need, another massive supermarket.  There was a huge amount of uproar over this, and the original planning permission insisted that the skating rink to be included in the design.  Tesco successfully negotiated to have this removed once they had acquired the site.

Codswallop.  The new ice rink and leisure centure in Streatham was jointly funded by Lambeth Council & Tesco in accordance with the original planning obligation.  I've lived in Streatham for 15 years (2 of those on the street opposite the old rink) and the old rink was delapidated and unpleasant.  The new centre is much better.

And don't get me started on councils closing swimming pools right, left and centre.  They always say they are doing it because the old facilities are "need too much work doing to the building", and that "new, improved facilities" will be built elsewhere.

And then finally they open a new pool that is usually round and the size of a washing up bowl.  And when you point out that it is almost impossible to swim in a round pool, as you just get in each other's way, they say it is not a swimming pool, it is  a "leisure pool". 

Streatham's new pool (a few yards from the old one) has a 25m pool (with 6 lanes) and a 13m teaching pool.

Not everything is as bad as you think it is.

Codswallop.  The new ice rink and leisure centure in Streatham was jointly funded by Lambeth Council & Tesco in accordance with the original planning obligation.  I've lived in Streatham for 15 years (2 of those on the street opposite the old rink) and the old rink was delapidated and unpleasant.  The new centre is much better.

Streatham's new pool (a few yards from the old one) has a 25m pool (with 6 lanes) and a 13m teaching pool.

Not everything is as bad as you think it is.

Bangor Balletboy, I was only repeating what I was told by the person involved in the site purchase, that Tesco were driving a very hard bargain regarding the ice rink.  As I mentioned at the time, I haven't been to Streatham for many years, since I used to skate when I was at school, so have no idea what state it was in. 

I have already said that I was very pleased that someone somewhere managed to see the project through. Consider yourself very, very fortunate to live in a borough where that has happened.  Because I can assure you that my experience has been that existing facilities are often allowed to disintegrate to a stage where they are too expensive to repair.  And the shiny new buildings that go up regularly fail to deliver their promise.  

I didn't watch the ice dance final yesterday as I felt rough. My eldest ex dd said that L'Equipe, a French sports magazine had predicted that Moir and Virtue would not win because Russian had proposed that they would vote for the US in the ice dance if the US would vote for their pair skaters. The Russian pair duly won and now the US pair has...

I didn't watch the ice dance final yesterday as I felt rough. My eldest ex dd said that L'Equipe, a French sports magazine had predicted that Moir and Virtue would not win because Russian had proposed that they would vote for the US in the ice dance if the US would vote for their pair skaters. The Russian pair duly won and now the US pair has...

I can't believe there would be collusion between the Russain and US judges. Davis and White have consistently beaten Moir and Virtue for a couple seasons now, so they were the favourites coming to Sochi. Any conspiracy would have to stretch back a couple years to justify all the results since. And there is no controversy in the pairs event - the favourites Savchenko and Szolkowy fell whilst Volosozhar and Trankov didn't.

I checked to see if the magazine had actually reported that and it had. Countries used to make deals like this in the past and no votes have to attached to the country that have them now. I find it quite believable. The magazine went to press before the Olympics and the deal did not specify which Russian pair was to be voted first.

I still loved the Canadians yesterday.....they are just so together and do dance together.......but the Americans Meryl Davis and Charlie White are pretty good too so was happy for them to win and the Canadians already have an Olympic Gold so perhaps the Americans turn this year!! Four years is a long time in skating and injuries could intervene.....they are really fast I must say and must be thrilling to watch live.

I did not like the Russian no.1 pair much either......did they actually look at each other once!! But the pair that came 5th I think were much better ice dancers in my view anyway.

The new Canadians look like they may be very good in the future and the Italians weren't bad either so some things to look forward to but just wish they'd stop this slinging round the shoulder business.....unless its done really well it looks clumsy and a sort of adjunct that doesn't always suit the music choice.

Still it was a bit of a feast yesterday and really enjoyed it.

• Like 1

The ice dance is always popular and last night was the best skating so far for me, wished I had recorded it now, glad the Americans won, but it was so close, I liked the Russian couple who came 5th too (if that was the girl with long blonde hair) they put so much emotion into it, no idea what it was supposed to be about though, also liked the Black Swan couple, and the Canadians, but although I know nothing technically about skating the Americans (Scherezade) were so fast, exciting and flawless they deserved it!

Is that one of the compulsory moves, the "slinging around the shoulder"?  I noticed they were all doing it, I wondered why. 

I also don't like the twizzle turns, or whatever they are called.  I think that is too much like the pairs skating.  If I remember correctly, the rules for ice dancing used to be that their bodies had to stay in contact with each other for the whole routine?  Or at least, were not allowed to stay apart for more than a few seconds?

I think that made for much more imaginative, graceful routines.

• Like 2

Is that one of the compulsory moves, the "slinging around the shoulder"?  I noticed they were all doing it, I wondered why. 

I also don't like the twizzle turns, or whatever they are called.  I think that is too much like the pairs skating.  If I remember correctly, the rules for ice dancing used to be that their bodies had to stay in contact with each other for the whole routine?  Or at least, were not allowed to stay apart for more than a few seconds?

I think that made for much more imaginative, graceful routines.

Is it a kind of combination lift? The more difficult they are and the faster they transition between different lift positions, the more points that add up I guess. I think they look quite spectacular, but I take your point. I really hate those grab-foot lifts the women do in pairs skating to rack up points - I'm sure it adds to the difficulty, but all the lifts have looked the same for years!

I think the separations are something like within 5 seconds now, and less than two arm-lengths from each other to do complex foot work. I don't mind it, as it was quite nice for dances like the Charleston in the short dance. I find the compulsory/short dances interminably dull sometimes, but the mix of Charleston, quickstep and foxtrot this year was so lively and great.

Edited by Sunrise

Last night's ladies free programme was so exciting and emotional, as Robin Cousins said, the best for many years, and given over 2 hours on BBC2, the coverage has been superb, look forward to the Gala tomorrow on channel 301 at 5.35pm or highlights on BBC2 on Sunday 2.30pm.

So many talented newcomers, Polina Edmunds from the US had beautiful arm movements, Russia got the first gold ladies medal ever, and not the girl they expected but another teenager, glad she won as although the Korean favourite was flawless I didn't think there was enough technical content to her programme, for once I agreed with the judges!

• Like 1

Last night's ladies free programme was so exciting and emotional, as Robin Cousins said, the best for many years, and given over 2 hours on BBC2, the coverage has been superb, look forward to the Gala tomorrow on channel 301 at 5.35pm or highlights on BBC2 on Sunday 2.30pm.

So many talented newcomers, Polina Edmunds from the US had beautiful arm movements, Russia got the first gold ladies medal ever, and not the girl they expected but another teenager, glad she won as although the Korean favourite was flawless I didn't think there was enough technical content to her programme, for once I agreed with the judges!

Thank you Beryl H, I was wondering when the Gala was going to be.  For me, the Gala is more fun to watch than the competition itself.

The Korean favourite's choice for the free programme just puzzled me... Piazzola (the composer of the music) just doesn't suit her, and then the tune "Adios Nonino" again doesn't suit her style.  And then there was, again for me, puzzling choreography...it didn't suit the music at all.  For me, that's the artistic points out of the window even before she skated.

I really loved the Russian medalist - her upper body line and port de bras was very beautiful... 

Edited by mimi66
  • Like 1

I loved the ladies skating this year....another feast. Just finished watching it......along with Big Ballet...so a very pleasant couple of hours just spent!!

I was so glad the Italian girl managed to stay in the medals in the end as love he skating but the Russian girl was superb as well and the Korean girl...also lovely... has an Olympic Gold already. The top three were all gold to me!! I think the Americans will be in a strong position next time and I too liked Polina.

I really love the galas when the skaters can relax a little and just enjoy themselves so looking forward to this too.

All in all the skating has been great at this Olympics a pity will be ages before any on the tv again!

• Like 1

I was very impressed with Polina Edmunds (interesting mixture of names!) too, along with someone else I can't remember - maybe the "other" Italian girl?  Plus the Japanese, Suzuki, who despite making quite a few errors really drew me into her performance somehow.  And actually I liked Asada's programme more than anyone else's: I thought it was really stunning, and she did incredibly well to pull back from 16th to 6th.  Just a shame she'd dropped so low in the first place.

• Like 1

That poor Christie.  She has now been disqualified for the 3rd time.

This time nobody seems to think this is the right decision. 

I feel very sorry for her, almost as if she is the subject of some kind of vendetta. 

That thought struck me too, although I've only just seen her race.  It seems strange to me that in a type of racing where things are so close, there is no right to appeal.  Maybe that should be changed.

Oh well, let's hope for better things for her next time.

Alison, I was listening to a discussion, and they were saying that in some sports, such as velodrome cycling, they took the right of appeal away because it was taking too long.  

However, it seems to me that something like speed skating, decisions are being made on supposition. In this instance, Christie was penalised because she overtook the Chinese girl who was in a qualifying position, causing the latter to lose her balance slightly.  Therefore, the supposition was that the Chinese girl was going to qualify. 

Well, yes, she certainly would have done if Christie hadn't overtaken, so the supposition seems to me to be a bit like saying that a football team leading 1-0 was definitely going to win until the other side scored!

• Like 3