Lower school audition results 2014

JulieW

The weirdest thing has just happened to me. I went into my emails to email Tring re any news on cancellation , and there was an email from Tring saying please bring your ds along on the 6th February.

Oooh...that's the hand of fate stepping in - I'd get speaking to your DS's teacher to set a little 1 min piece - you've got a week - go for it!  :) 

Good luck! x

• Like 1

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry to hear about all the "no" letters. But well done to all the DC and their parents for trying their best and giving it a go. Next year it will be me waiting for my DD results. Good luck to everybody with other auditions/letters.

Don't let us wait too long Fusster! Good luck!

• Like 1

Oh dear - what a shame Fusster....I'm now wondering if the yes letter have been sent a day later than the nos - we've not heard of any yes's yet?

Is your DD OK? x

She said she was fine, had a big cuddle and then went off with her friends. I then got a text saying she was sad. I replied that i would have missed her and she agreed, so not not sure where her head is at the moment. :unsure:

Ahhh...she's probably a little conflicted - I think LinMM had some good advice on one of the threads today about making sure all our DCs know just how tough it is and how few places there are - especially when there are so many talented children out there.  

I think more than ever, children from every background have access to and aspirations for the best teaching in whichever their favoured discipline is...certainly far more than was available when I was a child so the the competition for these coveted places is so much bigger than ever before.

Has your DD done or got any other auditions for this year? Thankfully all my DDs first round auditions are over and she's just got funding finals to go now :) 

x

Hi all,

I'm so sorry for all the no WL letters today. We are expecting one but not yet as only went last week. There is life after nos but it is very hard for a while. .

We went to Tring on 13 th for y8. No letter yet. Has anyone heard from that day yet?

Chins up xx

Hi all,

I'm so sorry for all the no WL letters today. We are expecting one but not yet as only went last week. There is life after nos but it is very hard for a while. .

We went to Tring on 13 th for y8. No letter yet. Has anyone heard from that day yet?

Chins up xx

We were there too but no news.  I think they said three weeks but it was so long ago I've forgotten!

MVOBE - I, too, was concerned about the singing part for Hammond.  They seem happy for the singing to be done in a group if your child does not want to sing on their own and I understand that the singing part has no bearing on whether they are accepted for a dance place there.  They also sound very friendly and lovely when you ring them, so I would urge you to give it a go if your son is keen.  I am sorry to hear he got a no for WL.  I expect that you will be commiserating with me on the same subject shortly!  However, there are many people here who have got no to WL and yes from other schools.  It's just about finding the right school and the right time for your child.  Hard as it is, I think we have to trust the WL admission process.  There is no point them taking children who are lovely dancers but who, for whatever reason, are just not suited to train in classical ballet, perhaps because they will be too tall or too short or too anything - who knows!

Sorry about your news fusster, seems today has been a bad day but some friends from the Birmingham audition got a yes.

I told my ds after school, bless him he was quite brave about it all but did say that he knew he wouldn't get in because he just isn't good enough. He got more down towards bedtime and was feeling very disheartened by the end of the night. I am so worried that elmhurst, expected on Friday, will be no too!

A big question please ladies/gents.......

My husband thinks that if we get a no from elmhurst for the prelims and a no to mids and tring then he really should give up on his dream of being a dancer as it would be obvious that he hasn't got what is needed. Do you agree? However he was accepted into Ja's first try with approx six months (once weekly) ballet class experience.

Has anyone on this forum got a dc who has received four no's at the prelims etc and then eventually got a yes?

Oh please MVOBE don't let your DS stop dancing even if all the letters say "no"! He is very young, started dancing not that long ago and he has so many chances to join a vocational school in the future! Remember that there is a lot more schools for 16+. And In few years time his body will change so much and you never know, even the RB upper school may offer him a place!

And stay positive - you didn't receive all the letters yet. And as you are saying - if he was accepted for JA's he must have potential. Good luck!

• Like 7

MVOBE, I wouldn't get too disheartened on the strength of one rejection...we were told at our Elmhurst audition of a girl who auditioned for yr 7 and yr 8 and got nos both times, but went back in yr 9 and got her yes.  

I would be guided by your DS and if he doesn't want to try again then OK but if he's still got the fire, then try again...

Of course, this could all be academic if he gets a yes from Elmhurst or Tring :)  Keep the faith! :)  Wishing him and you loads of luck for next week and for Elmhurst result :) xx

• Like 3

Thank you happymum! I really hadn't expected to be this upset. I knew the odds were bad but honestly I could cry (have actually cried)

for him. He has been totally dedicated, practices every day and does his JA exercises and practices his splits without fail. He rushes in

from school and just gets on with them. I think that is why I am so upset. We have always taught dd and ds that if you work hard at

things it will pay off. He is now asking me how come one of his friends (who openly admits to never doing the exercises) has got to two

finals. I feel like a bad parent right now!

Surely the odds just get worse as they get older as there are fewer places available?

• Like 1

MVOBE it can take a while for some dancers to 'click' when it comes to dancing. I was a dancer myself, more musical theatre than ballet, and I also taught. I never went to a vocational school, I was very lucky to have a fantastic local school, but I worked for 10 years professionally with others that had been away since the age of 11 so it can happen.

I watched many dancers, who were good dancers, all of a sudden blossom overnight into beautiful dancers so hang on in there. He wouldn't be an associate if they didn't see something in him and he sounds like he is very keen doing his exercises, I have to remind my dd!

Dancing is a wonderful thing and I still love it to this day, although now I'm more of a taxi for my girls. I realise that if you want to go into a ballet company then the earlier you can start the better, but there are many more options available, who knows where it will take him.

Best of luck to him at Tring and you don't know what those other letters may say x

• Like 4

Definitely be guided by your DS. If he still wants to dance it is still early days yet...he hasn't been doing it that long!!

If he is keen and works hard in the next few years who knows what may happen. If he didn't want to continue himself then that would be a different matter but try to encourage him through this bit of "rejection" if he doesn't get any offers just yet. Just because he doesn't get into Vocational school doesn't mean he should give up his dream of being a dancer! While he still has this dream I would let him continue locally.

• Like 2

Sorry to all who had a no this time.

MVOBE I really do know how you are all feeling at the moment .Anyone who is familiar with posts about my girls ( I can hear you all groaning "she's not going to tell that story again is she" ) will know how upset I was for my younger dd when she didn't make finals, gosh can it really be 3 years ago, it feels like yesterday when I'm reading all your posts.

To cut a long story short dd was a JA for 3 years and after a very encouraging phone call from her teacher ,which made me think she was in with a chance ,my husband phoned me with the results whilst I was in the middle of doing a bride's nails, I felt like I could have thrown up and broke out into this cold sweat. I too had a cry to my Mum I just couldn't understand it as most of the class had also got through. It makes me feel emotional now just thinking about it.

No matter how many times I explained to my dd about how Royal like very arched feet etc she thought it was because she was rubbish.

As your ds is a JA you can ask for feedback via your local teacher as to why this time he didn't make the final . We did and it all became a lot clearer.

My dd followed her sister and is now in her 3rd year at The Hammond (that was another saga  ;) ).......Although every year she tries for Summer School  at White Lodge she only ends up on the wait list.

Keep going MVOBE and everyone else fingers crossed for the rest of the results..........now where did I put those Summer School forms  ;)

• Like 6

Aah, i really feel for you MVOBE. I can imagine how unhappy things are in your house right now. But as everyone has said, this is just the first audition. Who knows what the others will bring. And even if he doesn't get a place in year 7, it is way to soon to think about giving up his dream. If he has good local tuition, which i image he must have to have got this far so quickly,he should carry on with that and look out for other opportunities like associates,youth ballets, workshops and summer schools. And just see what happens. If he loves dancing,just let him dance and see what that takes him.

I think all the children go through the "I'm rubbish/too short/too tall etc feelings when they get a "no" for anything, especially first time. One thing i have said to my DD in the past is that she is exactly the same person she was after opening the letter as she was before - the contents of any letter don't define her in anyway, they just mean she can't take this opportunity this time.

Try to keep positive. I look forward to reading happier news from you in the future. There is a lot more to dancing than the RBS and he is very young - don't give up.

• Like 8

I just wanted to say never underestimate the healing power of a child being in their home environment with local friends and local ballet teacher. If your child's private dance school is a good one with good teacher/s it is amazing what can happen for the future. Full time at 11 is undoubtedly very convenient and right for some but for others can send them backwards. The nurturing environment of home and private training can be just as successful. My own teacher whom I work with was fantatic and at 15 I secured a full scholarship place at RBS US, lower school financially was out of the quedtion. Always keep trying, you never know, but when and if it is right for your child it will happen. In the meantime get them to good summer schools and courses and they will be a lot more confident in themselves, may even begin to shine brighter than their vocationally trained peers, I have seen this happen over and over again. The dream is for a career, it doesn't matter hoe you get there. Good luck :)

• Like 11