Lower school audition results 2014

JulieW

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to kick this thread off with a no from rbs finals from RBS for my DD. We don't hear about the associates until later but I know DD will be fine as she is through to the elmhurst Finals and Tring so it's not all doom and gloom here :-) good luck to everyone else x

• Like 1

Dtadmin our audition was on 15th jan in bath, maybe they send all letters at the same time. Your exactly right legseleven. It'll be a wake up call for DD and show her she needs to up her game now to get through the finals :-)

• Like 1

Ah well...it's a "no" from us too :(

Although disappointed, we have to remember that there are so few places that to make a decision based on a 90 minute class is always going to be tough and I think that for our DD the longer audition experience that The Hammond and Tring offer, provided a better opportunity for her to overcome her natural reservations and show them what she's got.

So for us, we now celebrate her achievements in gaining offers from The Hammond and Tring and look forward to the funding auditions for both.  DH will also be happy because his first choice for DD has always been Tring :)

There is a romance to the notion of White Lodge that resonates with me, but in my head it has always seemed "just out of reach"...so it's not meant to be and I'm content with that :)

Good luck to everyone else opening their letters today - Fusster, I hope you survive the next couple of hours :)

For those with a no, just remember that you're in good and very talented company x

• Like 5

A huge regret for me is that we haven't done tring. My ds was terrified of the solo and when he finally got his head around it and said yes it was too late! I have spoken with them and sent off his application as suggested in case of cancellation but have heard nothing. Oh dear!

MVOBE, I think Tring's final lower school audition is next week so there could still be a chance.... why don't you ring them again?

Also, there's a February and a March date still for The Hammond as pictures suggests.... We took DD to open Days at both, she spent a Taster Day at the Hammond and we really came away from both schools feeling that our DD could be happy at them and she enjoyed both audition days - tell your DS they're not that scary :) 

Although both these schools offer courses for different performance disciplines as well, they do both offer dedicated Dance Courses based around Classical Ballet so they are worth considering :)

And you've still got the Elmhurst result to come so stay positive x

No pictures, we haven't tried Hammond. The problem is now that if there is a tring cancellation we have no practised solo. We are new to the whole audition process and to be honest I think I have managed to make a complete hash of it. By doing the hardest audition first we were more likely to get a no which makes going forward to other auditions, for a ds who is not a confident child, even harder!

So sorry to all the no's or as we like to say here all the not yet's ! MVOBE - we didn't think about Tring or Hammond till too late either as we thought there would be no funding and then it was too late !

I also felt sick for a while and we had sobbing and "I want to die " etc but all was Ok in the end and there is always next year ......Keep the chin up .....sympathies comming your way ????

• Like 1

I think unless your going for year 7 the chances are so slim as they're comparing against students which are already at white lodge. I know this is the case with any vocational school but with so few spaces at WL it must be so hard to get in. I knew it was always a long shot and elmhurst and Tring have always been her favoured schools where she feels more comfortable so everything happens for a reason :-)

Email for Elmhurst, really? I was expecting a letter.

Thank you dtadmin, I might try Hammond but I have a concern. As. Stated above my ds is just not a confident child. We are still reeling from the fact that he wants to do this at all. I am worried that more auditions and possibly more no's would just be such a hard pill to swallow for him. I question should he be doing this at all? However he just wants to dance.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has a child with little confidence going through this process, he is rbs JA by the way so must have done something right.

• Like 1

Hi pictures, no he has never done any exams. Had only been doing ballet a few months before being accepted as JA so only been dancing 2yrs 4 months. His regular teacher is ex rbs principal (male) but does not put them through exams. Gosh I didn't realise they had to sing as well. Is that for Hammond and Tring? I meant perform solo dance piece. Now I am confused

He does ballet and jazz. Has recently started MT on advice of teacher for confidence but really does not enjoy singing

Edited by Myveryownbillyelliot

You have to sing for Hammond, don't know about Tring as we didn't audition. Dd would have wanted theatre arts there & we couldn't afford boarding.

They arnt looking for brilliant polished singing at hammond just a willingness to have a go. However it was very important for dd as we'd decided that if she didn't get in on dance she would try for drama or music.

• Like 1

No singing at Tring, there's an optional "short drama piece" or "musical instrument piece" but they are optional and I know lots at DD's audition didn't do them.  

The singing at The Hammond is just as Pictures says, only a very small snippet to see that the children are willing to give it a go :)

So the only thing you'd have to have for both would be the dance solo - 1 minute long for Tring and 1.5 minutes for The Hammond - I've read on the forum of people being successful using excerpts from syllabus work or show / festival pieces...  

Appreciate the short time frame though if your DS hasn't got something he's already comfortable with x 

You don't have to sing at tring, you do have to do a 1 minute solo dance but the extra drama or singing piece is optional. My Dd didn't do the drama piece and she was offered a place a recommended for funding audition.

The weirdest thing has just happened to me. I went into my emails to email Tring re any news on cancellation , and there was an email from Tring saying please bring your ds along on the 6th February.

Fab news :-) I'm sure he'll really enjoy the audition at Tring

• Like 1