Do you go to the Stage Door?

I haven’t ever been to a stage door. I just feel so sorry for the dancers having to be polite to a whole load of people they don’t know when they’re exhausted and want to get home. I automatically assumed they wouldn’t appreciate it. Having said that did see a crowd around Matthew Ball at the Stage Door after a performance I’d attended and he was being so polite and clearly taking time to sign all his fans programmes and talk to everyone. He was so generous with his time. A true gent. I watched from afar. He genuinely seemed to appreciate the acknowledgment. 

• Like 2

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Angela Essex said:

I haven’t ever been to a stage door. I just feel so sorry for the dancers having to be polite to a whole load of people they don’t know when they’re exhausted and want to get home. I automatically assumed they wouldn’t appreciate it. Having said that did see a crowd around Matthew Ball at the Stage Door after a performance I’d attended and he was being so polite and clearly taking time to sign all his fans programmes and talk to everyone. He was so generous with his time. A true gent. I watched from afar. He genuinely seemed to appreciate the acknowledgment. 

Just to reassure you, Angela, the ROH has a number of exits the dancers can use, they can choose not to come out of the stage door if  tired/grumpy/in a hurry/have guests/have a train to catch/just not in the mood. One person told me he only ever comes out stage door if he knows in advance someone specific is waiting! 😂

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Sophoife said:

Just to reassure you, Angela, the ROH has a number of exits the dancers can use, they can choose not to come out of the stage door if  tired/grumpy/in a hurry/have guests/have a train to catch/just not in the mood. One person told me he only ever comes out stage door if he knows in advance someone specific is waiting! 😂

Ooh maybe I will go to the SD one day then. I nearly did for Caesar Corrales in rhapsody and Nunez in Swan Lake and Romeo & Juliet and Olivia Cowley for doing the Arabian dance in Nutcracker but talked myself out of it. I just wonder if the dancers find it a bit creepy, like they’re doing it out of obligation rather than because they like it. Also at 46 I’d feel a bit silly.

• Like 1

I've waited at the stage door on a number of occasions. It's always great to chat to fellow enthusiasts and the dancers themselves are always polite and appreciative, signing and posing for photos. It's not like there is an overwhelming crush of people there, just usually 20 or 30 ballet enthusiasts who want to briefly express their appreciation.  Several leading dancers have said how much they appreciate people taking the time to wait and tell them how much they've enjoyed the performance. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Angela Essex said:

Also at 46 I’d feel a bit silly.

I'm ten years older than you are and, as I said on this thread way back in 2017, I was brought up to say "thank you" for a treat. And so much ballet is a treat, whether it's production, performance, performer...

• Like 4

7 hours ago, jmhopton said:

I've waited at the stage door on a number of occasions. It's always great to chat to fellow enthusiasts and the dancers themselves are always polite and appreciative, signing and posing for photos. It's not like there is an overwhelming crush of people there, just usually 20 or 30 ballet enthusiasts who want to briefly express their appreciation.  Several leading dancers have said how much they appreciate people taking the time to wait and tell them how much they've enjoyed the performance. 

I would have thought that receiving fans at the stage door and signing autographs is all part of being a ballet star and is therefore exciting and rewarding, even if it delays getting home by a few minutes. 

Edited by bridiem
Sentence removed
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Sophoife said:

I'm ten years older than you are and, as I said on this thread way back in 2017, I was brought up to say "thank you" for a treat. And so much ballet is a treat, whether it's production, performance, performer...

Good point - next time I feel the urge to go to the SD I’ll be brave x

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Angela Essex said:

Ooh maybe I will go to the SD one day then. I nearly did for Caesar Corrales in rhapsody and Nunez in Swan Lake and Romeo & Juliet and Olivia Cowley for doing the Arabian dance in Nutcracker but talked myself out of it. I just wonder if the dancers find it a bit creepy, like they’re doing it out of obligation rather than because they like it. Also at 46 I’d feel a bit silly.

46??!!  There are all ages at the stage door, and all the dancers I have ever seen are delighted to stop and have a quick chat and pose for photos.  As someone said, the ones who don't want to do this exit through other doors (I know of one male principal back in the day who always left by the Piazza door). However, all performers, whether they be actors, singers or dancers, want and/or need approbation from the people they work so hard to entertain.  It would be very dispiriting for them to walk out of the stage door after a show with no-one there to say thank you, or 'hey, I loved your performance.'  I know of one Principal who calls up to the stage door from their dressing room and if there are people waiting, makes sure they come up to say hello before they are ready to leave the building so that people aren't waiting for too long.  

So do go along, Angela.  You will get a smile and much appreciation.  I find that the dancers at the lower levels just love it if they are recognised or deemed important enough for the fans to say hello to them, so don't only concentrate on the higher-ups!!  :)

• Like 14

20 hours ago, Angela Essex said:

Also at 46 I’d feel a bit silly.

I'm 66 and there's plenty older than me there! Will be great to see you, Angela. I'll definitely be there for both of Vadim's Mayerlings and one each of Sambe (30/11) and Ball's (29/10). If you fancy trying the stage door and would prefer to be with someone send me a pm and we can meet up. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jmhopton said:

I'm 66 and there's plenty older than me there! Will be great to see you, Angela. I'll definitely be there for both of Vadim's Mayerlings and one each of Sambe (30/11) and Ball's (29/10). If you fancy trying the stage door and would prefer to be with someone send me a pm and we can meet up. 

That’s very kind of you and yes it would be nice to go with someone, but I’m not at either of those ones.

• Like 1

On 28/07/2022 at 20:17, jmhopton said:

Hi, I am not the youngest either (66), I will fly to London from Prague (Czech Republic) for the first time in my life on Mayerling (wth Vadim) on 11. l11.  I would very much like to go to the stage door as well, maybe I will find support and help from equally enthusiastic fans there.

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, Sim said:

Welcome to the forum, Silver!  I will be at that performance so would be happy to go with you to the stage door.  If you get in touch closer to the time we can organise it. 😀

Yes I will be there too. Will be great to see you at the performance, Silver, and the stage door. Like Sim says, get in touch nearer the time and we can meet up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh me too! Diane, Shirley, Viiu, Vanessa and Kim! Dear friends with whom I spent many cold hours in Floral Street and still in touch. It’s about the only group of friends where I am still the youngest having started waiting there in the Autumn of 1981 when I started university. Happy days ...several regulars sadly missed especially dear Edward Dean, whose ballet poems were so lovely. And his little punning poems to fragments of music ... poor Giselle (she is dead) gone to hell (so it’s said) - to the tune at the start of the he loves me ... scene in act one! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And what about the stage door at gala concerts, such as Nureyev - Legend and Legacy at the Royal Drury Lane Theatre? There are also very expensive tickets on sale, which include refreshments and meeting and taking photos with the artists. Is it possible to wait for the artists at the stage door after the performance or is it unrealistic?

• 1 year later...

Re starting this thread on the off chance that there is somebody going to Nunez/Muntagirov Don Quixote this evening that is planning to go to the stage door. I really would love to thank the performers as I’ve waited for ages to see them dance this and am sure it will be an amazing evening, but I’ve never been to the stage door before and I’m a bit nervous about it since I’m literally a stranger to those dancers I’d like to thank. I’m worried I’ll be too star struck to know what to say or do so I’m hoping someone from here is going. Also hoping to get some intel on how long after the performance they tend to come out as I’ve got an early start in the morning.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Angela Essex said:

Also hoping to get some intel on how long after the performance they tend to come out as I’ve got an early start in the morning.

While it'll vary between dancers, I'd say be prepared for a minimum of half an hour & quite likely longer. On Saturday Kaneko took over an hour to emerge after the matinee & Naghdi just over half an hour in the evening.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Angela Essex said:

Re starting this thread on the off chance that there is somebody going to Nunez/Muntagirov Don Quixote this evening that is planning to go to the stage door. I really would love to thank the performers as I’ve waited for ages to see them dance this and am sure it will be an amazing evening, but I’ve never been to the stage door before and I’m a bit nervous about it since I’m literally a stranger to those dancers I’d like to thank. I’m worried I’ll be too star struck to know what to say or do so I’m hoping someone from here is going. Also hoping to get some intel on how long after the performance they tend to come out as I’ve got an early start in the morning.

I've not waited at the stage door for many years but I do generally have to walk past on my way down Floral Street to go home.  Last performance for DQ with Nunez and Muntagirov the street was literally packed - it was the first night - so you definitely would not feel awkward with so many other people.  As I battled through the crowd there was a big cheer and Carlos Acosta walked out (this was quite soon after curtain down, maybe 10 - 15 mins, and he was very gracious with the fans.  I hope you have a wonderful show and meet them both.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

While it'll vary between dancers, I'd say be prepared for a minimum of half an hour & quite likely longer. On Saturday Kaneko took over an hour to emerge after the matinee & Naghdi just over half an hour in the evening.

Thanks for the info @Dawnstar not sure I’d cope with waiting an hour on a school night. I’ll have to see how tired I’m feeling. 

• Like 1

The last performance with Nunez and Muntagirov I’d say they emerged (virtually simultaneously but that’s not always the case) after about half an hour. I’m sure there will be lots of people there again so you won’t feel conspicuous and they are both very natural and friendly and gracious as well.

Perhaps you could wait a while and see? If they are taking too long you can always decide to leave.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Angela Essex said:

Please don’t feel concerned. All the leading dancers are very happy to interact with fans.

• Like 4

Sorry I didn't see this before Angela as I went tonight. For once I waited inside and Vadim emerged after about 30 minutes, as always very smiley and thanking people for their support and happy to sign, and pose for selfies. Eventually he emerged into the street to a loud cheer which indicated there were a lot of people there. Marianela was just emerging at this point and after chatting, signing and posing eventually she managed to try and emerge into the street to even louder cheers. Everyone inside had to wait quite a while until there was space to eventually emerge, only to find Vadim still smiling and posing for selfies. I don't know how long Marianela was there as I still couldn't see her for people when I left! So don't hesitate Angela.  They are all incredibly good at giving their time to people who just want to thank them for their amazing performance. They really appreciate your support. 

• Like 6

From various reports about last night, some supporters now think that the ‘Stage Door’ extends beyond the ends of Floral Street.

Their enthusiasm is great but there are boundaries and ‘following’ is disrespectful to the artists concerned who have a right to walk away and proceed quietly on their journeys home.

• Like 13

7 minutes ago, capybara said:

From various reports about last night, some supporters now think that the ‘Stage Door’ extends beyond the ends of Floral Street.

Their enthusiasm is great but there are boundaries and ‘following’ is disrespectful to the artists concerned who have a right to walk away and proceed quietly on their journeys home.

😳😳😳😳😳

3 hours ago, capybara said:

Agree. completely. But...

If the artist doesn't set those boundaries, how are people, esp younger people who may have a different set of expectations,  to know?  

Edited by oncnp

Hard to know how they can set those boundaries without being rude, when they have to walk back to the Tube Station along with everyone else.

It seems to be the same as the decline in standards of audience behaviour, where people don’t seem to know (or care) where a line needs to be drawn - or even that a line exists….

Edited by Balletfanp
Typo
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Agree. completely. But...

If the artist doesn't set those boundaries, how are people, esp younger people who may have a different set of expectations,  to know?  

Ouch @oncnp !!!

In my view it is practically  impossible for an artist on his/her own, laden with flowers and gifts and, nonetheless, being expected to sign programmes (and, in Vadim's case, his autobiography) and pose for selfies to "set boundaries". It could be that the only way forward in instances of this kind  might for ROH staff to take control and that would lead to an altogether different atmosphere, which would be a great pity.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, capybara said:

Ouch @oncnp !!!

In my view it is practically  impossible for an artist on his/her own, laden with flowers and gifts and, nonetheless, being expected to sign programmes (and, in Vadim's case, his autobiography) and pose for selfies to "set boundaries". It could be that the only way forward in instances of this kind  might for ROH staff to take control and that would lead to an altogether different atmosphere, which would be a great pity.

Why not? He's an adult and if it bothers him he should say so. 

I've seen him followed from the stage door  by two older women, on to the train who talked nonstop until they got off. He didn't seem too bothered