Do you go to the Stage Door?

Such a joy to have gone and met all the dancers (Yanowsky! Golding! Acosta! Avis!), and it was truly gratifying to finally let Zenaida know in person what an amazing dancer she is (I somehow feel the need to make up for her years as an under appreciated principal). Gosh she is such a warm and earnest lady. I've seen so many dancers who are in tears after a show over the slightest mishap, so It's great she took all of it in stride and could laugh about it after. Of course, the night's dancing was so magical in the end that nothing else really mattered anyway!

They are all indeed so nice, obligingly taking photos, though perhaps I was overly imposing ;) and I also met nice people! :)

• Like 1

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember that Johan Kobborg almost always used to go out the other way, and leave Alina to face the waiting throng!

Noooo, I think you remember wrong, Sim. :-) In the rare occasions when they were choosing the other door (always letting people know about that) they usually did it together. Of course there are exceptions...

• 5 months later...

A nice touch last night with fans singing "Happy Birthday" to Vadim Muntagirov as he came out laden with presents and receiving more.

However, when quite a lot of people are waiting, the question arises (as it did last night) as to how much of a dancer's time any one fan should take with comments, questions and photo requests. Experience suggests that  one short 'go' is appropriate and anything more is both an imposition on the dancer and a discourtesy to fellow fans.

My 16 year old DC has started collecting ballet autographs from times past and present. Cheeky request: if any of you lovely ballet.co-ers have duplicate autographs they are willing to pass on that would be so fabulous as we can't often get to ROH etc. We met an old lady the other day who gave us Adeline Genee's autograph (pencil, written for this old lady I think when said lady must have been tiny). But I don't think there are any more where this came from!

• 2 weeks later...

I waited an age to see Svetlana Zhakarova exit the ROH when the Bolshoi were last in town. There was quite a crowd, and we thought she would never come, but when she appeared it was well worth it. I have never seen someone look so like a superstar ballerina offstage as she did! She was wearing the most amazing couture coat, very tight on the waist with a big flowing skirt cut into points at the bottom. Gorgeous!

Although I don't care if they are wearing grungy old tracksuits!

And last summer I finally managed to miss the last coach home, which I have nearly done by a whisker so many times! Cost me a fortune!

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

I've been twice to see the Bolshoi -- both last visits to London -- and also the Mariinsky -- but was too shy to go the stage door!

I will melt into a puddle if i see Svetlana as I am in hopeless love with her!! Serious note, what is the etiquette of such meetings? Am i allowed to bring flowers or a gift plus ask for a selfie?

I have never seen her perform as last time, both times, the show she was booked for, she was injured and there was a last minute replacement :(

Where is the stage door? By door 1 or 2 as i've read two different answers on here! 

I usually  get stall seats which are the most costly -- which other seats are the best for viewing other than stalls?

Thanks and hi to everyone as this is my first post :)

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum sybarite2015@ !!

I often go to the Stage Door - it is on Floral Street.  If it is a big Bolshoi star then there is usually a healthy sized crowd but everyone gets an autograph that wants one in my experience.  Yes it is Ok for selfies - most people just ask the dancer and they usually oblige and it is fine to bring a gift/flowers as well.  I have to admit I do get a bit annoyed if a fan occupies a dancer for a long time because everyone has been waiting a long time as well and wants to go home - some people go on and on and on!!  In my experience Zakharova waited until the latest moment to appear - the security guard had called the House closing at midnight over the tannoy and she tipped up at 11.55pm nearly 2 hours after the show so quite exhausting waiting for her!!!  Most of the other Bolshoi dancers are much quicker maybe max an hour.  I would say the Bolshoi dancers are more friendly than Mariinsky as well. My favourites are Alexandrova, Lantratov, Merkuriev, Shipulina.  If you are too shy you can happily come along with me if I am there at the same performance just send me PM, it's usually a friendly bunch:-)  I haven't got any tickets yet, still waiting for booking to open and hopefully some casting as I can't go to so many perfs this year. 

Seats well anything facing the stage straight on is ok for me I don't like side seats do much as I get a cricked neck looking at the stage.  Grand Tier is nice if you can afford it, Balcony and Lower rows of the Amphi are fine too, but bear in mind none of the tiers are close to the stage if you sit facing straight on to the stage.

• Like 1

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Seating preferences vary according to the individual, of course. Grand Tier is *very* nice, but rather far away. Balcony is like GT, but higher. Stalls circle can be good as long as you don't go too far to the sides, when you start getting a restricted view.

I think we have a ROH seating thread somewhere, but don't have time to look for it at present, I'm afraid.

Hello Don Q and Allison! Thanks for your replies.

Well, I might take you up on that offer about the stalls....to see Zakharova! Her, Osipova, Lopatkina are my faves but Somova, Obraztsova and Polina Semionova I also adore....  tbh all the Bolshoi and Mariinsky dancers are amazing! (I know Semionova isn't from either...) And last time I saw Ivan Vasiliev on stage in ROH I was blown away....my immediate thought was he would be ideal to play the lead role in any movie biopic of Nureyev!

--

I try to get stall seats and don't mind paying extra as I thought being closest to the stage is always better...i think last time i was in row 2 and 3 respectively for most shows i went to. But I've always wanted to try the more areal view of a Grand Tier too as i read you get to see more of a birds-eye image of the entire corps whereas sitting so close i could only see the the front ...

Waiting 2 hours plus after a show to see a dancer? Well for Svetlana I would! Thanks to everyone for answering. (BTW how does one get to sit in those boxes?)

I've considered becoming a Friend+ of the ROH but since I live in Europe and not in the UK i;m not sure if it is worth it as i don't get to come to the ROH as much as i'd like...

• Like 1

I have a picture of myself and Alina Somova, but I try not to look at it! Never get photographed with one of the world's most lovely ballerinas!

The nicest stage door for me was at the ENB, when Alina Cojocaru came out still dressed as Odile, pointe shoes and all. Can you imagine the excitement of the children who were able to get photos with her?! She was so lovely.

• Like 5

Well sometimes you can get an individual seat in a box .......so not always sold as a whole box.

However beware!!

I did this once ....I was the 4th seat in a box...but the other three were altogether and obviously celebrating a birthday or something and definitely resented my presence even though they would have been told that there was a chance someone else might be in the box.

The view wasn't brill either as I felt I had to sort of sit not only behind them but back a bit as I felt awkward .....so I'd never do that again in a hurry!! I did try smiling and looking friendly etc but it didn't work on them.

It would have been okay if the box had been sold as 4 separate individual seats which I'm sure happens sometimes but if you are just the odd seat I'd avoid. You could always ask when buying the ticket how the box has been sold.

Some are too close to the stage anyway so a bit of a side view but others would be okay. Central ish stalls Circle are nice seats.....too expensive for me these days but I used to like sitting there ......especially if you can get an A row. Otherwise it's Balcony or first seven rows of the Amphi .....I won't sit further back than row G .....for me.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

So since tomorrow is the performance of Zakharova for Swan Lake...anyone else want to join me in meeting her at the stage door? :)

I hope I can get the courage to do it!! 

Where is the stage door again and is it ok to ask one of the ROH staff to show you where it is if you can't find it?

So since tomorrow is the performance of Zakharova for Swan Lake...anyone else want to join me in meeting her at the stage door? :)

I hope I can get the courage to do it!!

Where is the stage door again and is it ok to ask one of the ROH staff to show you where it is if you can't find it?

Might be worth taking a warm jumper and comfy shoes, as the wait can be quite long (I was waiting for 2 hours last night..... Sooooo worth it!! :D ) hope you enjoy the show x

• Like 1

I don’t think people realise how important contact at the Stage Door can be for dancers, especially those at the start of their careers. I remember how excited my friend Karen Paisey was (one of the youngest dancers to be promoted to Principal by the Royal Ballet in the 1980s) the first time she was allowed to sit in the Stage Doorman’s Lodge at Covent Garden’s old stage door to sign autographs.  (I believe it may have been after one of her first Auroras.) I think the audience would be amazed at how difficult it is to gauge the volume or intensity of applause from the audience when you are onstage and dancers have often been surprised when I have told them they received lots of applause for a solo etc. A dancer’s life is one of constant correction, from themselves and from the artistic staff, and compliments are a rare commodity so it can be very confidence-boosting and greatly appreciated when members of the audience make the effort to wait at the stage door to congratulate them or ask for autographs or photographs and I have never known a dancer decline these requests.  Of course, you don’t want to engage them in too long a conversation as they usually have to take public transport home like the rest of us or if it is a matinee they may want to get to the shops while they can! As Capybara has already mentioned, some dancers such as Klimentova and Glurdjize will come in costume to the Stage Door at the Coliseum when they have guests or have been told that fans are there to see them (and I do remember one occasion when Karen Paisey and Mark Silver came to the Stage Door at Covent Garden in costume after a ‘Nutcracker’ performance to sign autographs) but usually one can expect to wait at least half an hour for Principals to appear (the first out are the orchestra members, usually followed by the male dancers who have less to change out of and less make-up to remove!) as, after notes from the Artistic Staff they usually like to shower and often wash their hair, depending on the amount of hairspray that has had to be used! If, while waiting for the Principals, you recognise some of the other dancers whose performances you have enjoyed, please don’t hesitate to tell them as you can really make their day, especially if they have had no feedback from anyone else. It also helps if you tell the orchestra members how much you have enjoyed their playing!

And it may surprise you who you might meet at the Stage Door!  When I first arrived in London as a student in 1977, I had to collect some photos from the Stage Door area at Covent Garden mid afternoon.  This was the old one which hardly had room for two people to pass each other in front of the Stage Doorman’s Lodge. To my amazement, I could see Margot Fonteyn on the other side of the door, chatting happily to the Stage Doorman!  As the door opened inwards, I didn’t want to touch it for fear of hitting her so I just stood there on the outside.  She then noticed me and, with her dazzling smile, held the door open for me and said “Would you like to come in?”.   So there I was, having the door held open for me by Dame Margot!!! I was so starstruck that all I could say was “thank you very much” and I didn’t have the presence of mind to ask for her autograph at that time (luckily I did get it some time later).

So, if you have the time following a performance, don’t be shy about waiting at the Stage Door and you too may meet a living legend!

As this thread has made an appearance again, I don't think it is out of order to quote this very eloquent contribution from a dance professional (post 51), when I read it initially I really reassessed my attitude to the stage door.  In view of some of the sarcastic comments elsewhere, I'd like others to read it too.  I very much hope Irmgard doesn't mind me doing so.

• Like 11

As this thread has made an appearance again, I don't think it is out of order to quote this very eloquent contribution from a dance professional (post 51), when I read it initially I really reassessed my attitude to the stage door.  In view of some of the sarcastic comments elsewhere, I'd like others to read it too.  I very much hope Irmgard doesn't mind me doing so.

Great post. Although I don't generally "do stage doors," I have a similar story though musical rather than ballet that I will recount for what it's worth.

I had just seen Solti conducting his Chicago Symphony in Mahler 9 at the Kennedy Center in Washington. DC some years ago. Solti was then, and remains, one of my musical heroes.  Anyway, the Stage Door person was actually an acquaintance of mine at the time so the girlfriend and I thought we'd stop by and say hello to him after leaving the concert hall.

As we stood there chatting to him (and we really had no intention other than that) one of Sir Georg's entourage came out into the foyer and, assuming we were there in the hope of seeing Solti (which hadn't even occurred to us) asked us if we'd like to meet the maestro? Do pigs fly? Obviously, we replied "yes."

We were promptly taken into his (large) dressing where he was seated on a couch, next to a grand piano. He invited us to sit down beside him, tea was served, and he proceeded to interrogate us with regard to our thoughts on the performance, taking interest in our replies. To make various points, he'd go to the piano to underline his explanations of how or why something was interpreted this way or that. We must have been with him for half an hour and we left with his baton as well as autographs. Sadly, those were the days before selfies.

It was a once in a lifetime experience I never have and never will forget.

• Like 11

Personally, I'm not sure there's anything "sad" about the days before selfies :)

Thanks for that post, godots_arrived - and to MAB for bumping a very worthwhile post which I don't remember spotting first time around.

The last time we waited at a stage door - Theatre Royal Drury Lane - it was to meet a friend-of-a-friend who had been performing. A stage hand came out to find us, ferried us all the way through the backstage area, across the stage (and what an impressive rake that stage has) past all the sets & props, and up into the star dressing room to meet our friend's friend who, although clearly tired out by the performance, was absolutely lovely, really welcoming, and was happy to chat to us for ages :)

• Like 6

Difficult one, but to some extent doesn't meeting fans at stage door "come with the territory"?  If any dancer really vehemently did not want to meet any fans there would surely be another exit they could use.  E.g. it is very rare indeed to see Sarah Lamb at the stage door after a show so there must be other exits at ROH.  

A couple of years ago there was a security man at ROH who could be most unpleasant to fans - he's gone now, I wonder why....

I think it's useful to remember that meeting a performer at the stage door is not something that is included in the price of your ticket. Whilst many performers will be happy or even keen to do it, it's not something that fans are entitled to and sometimes people just want to go straight home after work.

Ballet fandom is probably less out there than some actor / musical fandoms though - there have been a few examples of fans getting irate with actors on twitter after the actor posted that they won't be at the stage door after performance.

A slightly different perspective on stage dooring from a musical actress (Carry Hope Fletcher)

Edited by Coated

Who is the woman in the video?  I don't recognize her as a dancer?

Sorry, forgot to add who it was - she's a musical actress. I don't actually know anything about her, but that video came up a few times in discussions about stage dooring and fandom and the Theatreboard forum

NYCB ballerina Megan Fairchild answered a question about stage door fans in her Ask Megan! show podcast a while back.

Can be listened to here at the top of the page: http://www.premierdancenetwork.com/ask-megan/page/3/

Nice. I think when all is said and done it boils down to "use your common sense." As a rule to would seem that 95% of performers will be happy to sign/pose for polite audience members 95% of the time. Just have your pen/camera ready, know what you're doing, and do it quickly and politely. I'm rather tempted to stage door hang for the first time after Friday's Corsaire!

I think when all is said and done it boils down to "use your common sense."

I fear that common sense seems to be a rapidly-vanishing thing in today's celebrity culture - perhaps sacrificed on the altar of "me, me, me", if what that actress says is anything to go by :(

• Like 1

On the whole I'm too embarrassed to go to the stage door that often but have over years got the autographs of some of the greats ....Fonteyn... Nureyev etc and many many others!

But one of my favourites was an unplanned one (dragged along by a friend) when Makarova (who had just performed one of the best Swan Lakes I've ever seen ....to date) came to sign autographs. I hadn't got a programme even and only had Gavin Maxwells book "the Rocks Remain" with me which had lots of pictures of otters in it and she was really bemused and started looking through the book and then signed the cover giving me a lovely smile.

I just remember thinking how can her slight little form have put out such a powerful performance ......amazing and had a soft spot for her ever since!

• Like 7

Not a stage door story but I once persuaded a new girlfriend to go to her first opera (mid-90s, from memory), at the Colosseum, promising I would help guide her through it. Such was my desire (to impress her), it was one of those very rare occasions that I bought expensive stalls tickets. We took our seats, I predictably became engrossed in conversation with her and as the lights dimmed and noise diminished immediately prior to the curtain I took the opportunity to look at my other-side neighbour. It was Mark Morris. Didn't pay much attention to girlfriend for the rest of the evening. Relationship didn't work out either (you won't be surprised to know that I'm much better at offending people than dating them!). But I did have a loverly conversation with Mark.

• Like 5