Tring 6th form auditions (2014 entry)

Guest Autumn days

Thanks Afab though Tring does seem a little disorganised this year from what I have read on here, some people were waiting for weeks then very short notice before the audition, crazy! I am sure you have experience of the huge increase in flight costs close to the day of travel since you are also abroad. DD did not have Tring at the top of her list this year (so funny how they can change their minds so quickly, it was the end of her life because she couldnt go because of funding this time last year!) so we did not feel it was worth paying out the extortionate price if she would prefer to go somewhere else. If it had been her first choice we would have gone. Did your DD go to Tring this year?

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No Dramascientist, DD1 didn't as she wants to finish her French A levels first. She'll try next year. And DD2 the year after... Since they can't have mds, we have to aim for DaDas... So what does your DD have next? Was it finals at Elmhurst? I'm glad she's not too disappointed by the situation. You're right I know how travel prices can change drastically...

Well she also has offers from The Legat School of Dance, Ballet West and The Hammond so we will go for one of these if the funding works out. She realises how lucky she has to have a choice. She didn't want to do Elmhurst because she wanted singing and music opportunities too, for some reason she felt Elmhurst wasn't for her? Who knows what goes through their minds!!!,! :)

• Like 1

Guest Autumn days

I think Tring may be doing things differently for 6th form this year as lots of people have been invited to the final apparently even if they have said that they can pay! (lucky people!!). Who knows if we will be offered a place if we don't get funding - there cant be room for everyone!!

Does anyone have any sort of idea how many may be there on Tuesday - there seem to be quite a few groups throughout the day?

Good luck all - its nearly over!!

I was just wondering, If a child has been invited to attend a funding audition but they don't receive funding, are they still offered a normal place? I'm trying to work out if we could afford Tring regardless of the scholarship outcome.

We rang Tring as DD invited to DaDa Funding Audition on Tuesday - the lady we need to speak to was off last week but the lady answering the phone said having received the letter the audition would allocate boarding/day places to students who had received the letters ??? Reading the fees and funding page on the school website, setting aside DaDa, I understood the scholarship was 10% of fees - is that how others read it?

Lifeafterballet? I'm not sure I'm understanding you, because we've received the letters it means after the funding audition day/boarding places are given out with or without scholarship? If not what I'm not understanding is how those not invited to a funding audition can go (if they can afford it) but those invited to a funding audition, not receiving funding nor a normal place can't, as surely the funding auditonees are of higher standard? We didn't get ballet but drama, so maybe it's different for each course. I'm just highly confused, but lucky as DDs audition isn't until the 2nd week in march so I can figure this out. I just don't want DD, after recovering from not being accepted onto the ballet course, to not be offered a place at all if she doesn't receive funding.

Lifeafterballet? I'm not sure I'm understanding you, because we've received the letters it means after the funding audition day/boarding places are given out with or without scholarship? If not what I'm not understanding is how those not invited to a funding audition can go (if they can afford it) but those invited to a funding audition, not receiving funding nor a normal place can't, as surely the funding auditonees are of higher standard? We didn't get ballet but drama, so maybe it's different for each course. I'm just highly confused, but lucky as DDs audition isn't until the 2nd week in march so I can figure this out. I just don't want DD, after recovering from not being accepted onto the ballet course, to not be offered a place at all if she doesn't receive funding.

I can't say what happens for Drama course as "we" are on the ballet one. Our understanding from the call last week is our daughter has a place on the course no matter what .... What happens on Tuesday is boarder/day student places are allocated and then funding falls as appropriate (be it self funded, DaDa or scholarship for those who are eligible). I am ringing to confirm this tomorrow with the lady who was off last week!

Does anyone know how many boarding beds there are available to sixth form students - I understand a few stay with host families either because of too few beds or not being able to afford the boarding costs.

Also, does anyone know how long it is until we get a decision from Tring ? Thing is DD's last final audition is right at the end of March. If Tring did happen to make her an offer, does anyone know how long they would wait for an answer, I would hate her to make a decision before hearing all her results, but then wouldn't want her to turn down a place and then regret it. Or do people just say yes to all and then decide at the end, this must have happened many times before.

I'm afraid I can't help you with the audition question jazzpaws as it's our first year auditioning, however at the first auditions we were shown the girls boarding rooms. The were a couple 5 people rooms, some 4 people rooms, mostly 3 people rooms and a few 2 person rooms. However this is what I remember so when you add all the rooms together it doesn't seem to be a lot. Also, when we went for drama we were shown a 5 person room which had 4 upper sixth girls and the head girl in. I thought upper sixth lived off site? If lower sixth boarding is limited because upper sixth use it I shall not be happy.

I looked around too, but like you, can't really remember how many beds there are. It does say on the website that there are houses owned by Tring in the town for pupils in their final year, would this be the 3rd year, if so , I am thinking that both upper and lower sixth live on site. Oh well, i guess it's not long to Tuesday !

Third years have to find their own accomodation. There are boarding houses in town for those in the 2nd year of sixth form. However some are sometimes accomodated in the main building especially if they are prefects or head boy/girl.

Lower sixth are housed by and large on site unless of course they are with host families.

• Like 1

Yes, all lower sixth girls board onsite in New Block (boys in Clockhouse) unless of course they are day pupils or staying with a host family. The upper sixth stay in either a house owned by the school at the bottom of Mansion Drive, one of two other houses located approx 20 mins walk from the school, or a small number remain residing in New Block. In New Block, I believe there are 5 quad rooms, a couple of triple rooms and quite a lot of twin rooms (not sure exactly how many though). The third years of the sixth form are regarded as day pupils & have to find their own accommodation.

• Like 1

Guest Autumn days

Has anyone heard anything yet? Dd enjoyed the day but didn't see the physio so is guessing that there won't be any funding coming our way.

Hope some balletco-ers are amongst the lucky ones!!

Edited by mum in a spin

is it for sure that if you don't get to see the Physio, you don't get offered the DADA, as in my daughters audition 3 were picked but she didn't seem to think 2 were the best of the group, so makes you wonder. is there anyone watching these threads from last year, that can comment???

• Like 1

And occasionally they spot something they want the physio to check out. They need to be sure a physique will withstand full time training and the physio will advise the panel if there is a problem.

I was at a talk years ago in which they said that if in a rare case there was cause for serious concern they would inform the candidate but I have to say I have never heard or known of this actually happening to anyone!

Guest Autumn days

Could they have perhaps got in off the waiting list, escarte? My experience from the yr 7 auditions (five years ago now!!) was that only those that saw the physio got funding initially but people who didn't see he physio were on the waiting list and some got offers later on. I do realise that it could be different in6th form and may have changed anyway!

Must say, I thought that was all done and dusted when there was no physio for DD (it probably is anyway). In a way it was a relief to come away and think that she had a good day as she was happy with her audition but 'knowing' she wasn't successful meant no stalking the postie and wondering. I think that's still the case so I will leave the poor man alone, especially as it took forever to hear about the finals - best to move on and think about her other 2 finals. I think we all hate this waiting, so hard especially with exams !

I really wish the schools could do all their auditions over about 3/4 weeks in July. They could then get on with their exams. It would be worth overseas students travelling to do it all in one hit and also the vocational students wouldn't be disrupted by auditions.

• Like 6