Royal Ballet School Senior Associate Auditions

docs and dancing

Hi, I have an audition for the royal ballet school in a couple of weeks for senior associates and I don't have a clue what's going to happen. What will the audition be set out like? I am so nervous that all the girls there will be supper flexible and amazing at ballet. Also what should I wear and what about makeup? I am so nervous! I would be grateful of any information or tips. Thanks

• Like 2

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Docs and Dancing, welcome to the Forum.  I have moved your query to the Doing Dance section where members are more likely to be able to help you.

It's also worth searching in this section as there have been many discussions about Associate Programmes.

• Like 1

Oh of course I forgot there was more than one centre. DD's is in London...

I hope someone answers your questions as it will help us also... From what I know it is a simple ballet class...

Thanks afab! I didn't even know it was just an ordinary class so that has brought down some of the nerves. What grade is your dd in? I heard the level would be about intermediate so I am hoping the exercises won't be too hard as some of the stuff in intermediate is not really hard but fast...

Hi docs and dancing - I hope that I can set your mind at rest a little. The most important thing is to relax and show that you love to dance. You are still being assessed on potential,they are not looking for perfection. You will be given a number and placed in line and then do a regular class. The teachers are always lovely and everyone is encouraging and wants you to do your best. Try to impress with your musicality and perfomability along with your technical prowess :D GOOD LUCK!!

Hi Docs and dancing,

I'm happy I could help... DD does not do syllabus work so I can't answer your question... She's in her 7th year of ballet if that gives you a point of reference... What about you?

My daughter was an SA. The audition is a normal ballet class. The panel are looking for physique, good technique, flexibility but not super duper flexibilit, musicality and a love for dance. Try not to worry about the other auditionees, just go and treat it like a workshop. Enjoy the experience and good luck.

• Like 3

Thanks everyone for all the help and support! I am kind of feeling a bit better about it now I know some of the details. one more question though, what would you suggest wearing for the audition? And do I need pointe shoes?

Say good luck to your daughter from me afab and good luck to anyone else auditioning for SAs.

I have done quite a few royal auditions and did the SA audition two years ago. The class is probably about intermediate standard, but it is not too difficult and the teacher is happy to go over it. The standard is greatly varied and there were some girls who hadn't covered some of the steps like jetes. If you are in grade 5 or Intermediate foundation then you shouldn't have any problems. When you first go in you stand in front of one of the judges and do things such as plies and tendus and standing side on. After that you are given a barre space and just dance through the usual exercises, the teacher says and demonstrates everything and if you are unsure you mustn't worry about asking. After the barre you are sent into the centre and have to go down in right leg split, hold, turn into box, hold and then turn into left leg split. I have never been able to do box and there were many girls unable to do any of the three so don't worry. You then do a port de bras, adage, 1 or 2 pirouette exercises and some allegro. The audition goes very quickly and you dob't do any pointe work (though most people take their shoes anyway).

It is up to you what you would like to wear. I would suggest a leotard that you feel comfortable in, they do prefer you to wear a waist elastic, tights and whatever shoes you prefer. You can wear leather, canvas, satin, whichever you like. Don't go in stage make up but just whatever you would normally wear for everyday.

Good luck to everyone auditioning and I hope this is useful to you :)

• Like 7

Good luck and just enjoy your day !

DD successfully auditioned for SA 2 last year. It was the first audition she'd had at RBS. Lovely day, everyone was very relaxed and friendly - no pointe work, she wore soft blocks and a favourite leotard. Everyone else will be nervous too, don't forget that xx

• Like 3

Hi Primrose. Have you had experience of anyone being asked to wear their pointe shoes as all the audition letters we have seen have clearly stated that there is no pointe included at preliminary auditions, even for 6th form. Pointe is included at final auditions however. Letters also state no make up although some girls wear a minimal amount.

• Like 2

No, you are correct there is only one audition for SA's. However, some auditionees will also be auditioning for full time training at WL and the audition is the same one. Those successful at the preliminary audition will be invited to a final one held at WL. This can occasionally include children who were auditioning solely for SA's but who they see potential in for full time training. If they are not successful at the final audition or chose not to attend they will still be offered an SA place but it is possible to be invited to a final audition even if that is not what you originally applied for. It is this second audition where they look at the girls on pointe. Hope this makes sense. :)

• Like 4

Not with my daughter at the moment so can only tell you our experience. My daughter was an MA applying to be an SA. She ticked the box for WL as she thought she had nothing to lose by doing so. Her friend applied for SA place only. They both had their preliminary audition on the same day. Audition times and days depend on numbers and ages of kids applying. They often roughly group by age and often line them up on the barre according to age. My daughter was offered finals for yr 10 entry and her friend (who had only ticked SA's) finals for yr11. The final audition was at WL and was mixed yr groups. There were about 11 girls across both yr groups including many from abroad and a few boys. Both my daughter and her friend got a no for full time (they took 2 girls) but got SA places. So the audition is the same whatever box you tick. The content varies slightly according to the centre you take it at and what the panel asks to see on the day. Experience of successful SA's is very varied so it is all about potential. Good luck to all. Feel free to ask if you have any more questions and we will try to answer. :)

• Like 4

When my dd did her preliminary audition for Elmhurst they had to do some pointe work. All the girls had pointe shoes with them. so many people had said no you don't do pointe at preliminary auditions. Moral of the story is to be prepared.

Edited by primrose
  • Like 1

No, you don't need to wear soft blocks. I would stick to what you are used to. Some girls are used to wearing them in SA classes or for RAD exams. I was talking about pointe work in RBS auditions only since this is what was specified in the thread title. Good luck to all auditioning in Birmingham this week. :)

• Like 2

I had the SA audition in Birmingham this week, it was a quite simple audition but very tiring so make sure you have plenty of water! (they allowed us to bring water into the audition) It consisted of the 'judges' looking at you from different angles (front, side, back, first position and plié), a barre with plies, tendu, ron de jambe, and developpe and then there were simple stretches (chest to knees, right split into box split into left split), there was then a port de bras, adage, allegro some very simple pirouettes and lots of jumping including split leaps. There is no pointe work either. The class goes very fast but exercises are really quite simple. I hope you enjoy the audition as it is a really good experience, Good Luck! x

• Like 4