Anjuli_Bai

Room 202 - on the positive side

Just discovered Marks & Spencer's fig and hazelnut bread (remaindered, of course :) ).  Yum!  Wonder how much of it I need to eat to get my 1 a day ... :P

• Like 2

The kindness of strangers - namely the young man who patiently helped me get my parking ticket validated at the supermarket when the machine wouldn't read the bar code and I couldn't find my glasses to key in the relevant numbers.

• Like 6

Another vote for the kindness of strangers. I was the recipient of a ‘random act of kindness’ today. The thing that really touched me was less about the monetary value but so much more about the heartfelt words that came with it. A complete stranger told me that she was really pleased to have met me and that I’m an inspiration. Not in a cheesey, insincere, corporate way but in a genuine and warm way. It totally made my day and she couldn’t possibly have known that, as it turned out, it would be the absolute highlight of an otherwise difficult day 

• Like 7

Acts of kindness-random or not and no matter how small or seemingly  insignificant make the world a better place.I'll never forget a good few years ago I was on my way to pick my son up from the railway station. As I was crossing the road a lady approached me. I thought she was looking for directions, but she just smiled at me and said. You have a lovely face. (Believe me I'm no supermodel) but later, when I'd cooked the dinner, cleaned up, was picking up sopping towels from the bathroom floor and felt generally fed up, I remembered her words and they made me smile :) Patience, kindness and voicing general concern and appreciation for those around us are very important. You never know when you'll help make someone's day be a bit better... 

• Like 4

Having enough water to be able to wash your hair - even if you do need to boil a kettle to do so.

Amazing what one takes for granted, isn't it?

• Like 2

(NB: Thames Water are asking ALL customers to use water carefully so that they can get the supplies back out to everyone ASAP.  I believe some people have been without water for 4 days)

Heated front windscreen on car - no more scraping ice in the morning! 

Just Eat for ordering takeaway 

Paying for parking via an app - no more needing to find change. 

Just got an ROH advent calendar through the post from a good friend :) 

Edit: just in case anyone was confused, NOT an ROH one, it's Oxfam - it just looks fairly similar to the ROH on the outside.

Edited by alison
Clarification
  • Like 1

Went to the ROH Month of Sundays event this morning - what an excellent couple of hours entertainment, in the Hall Formerly Known As Floral, for a mere fiver!  We had a great 'Reimagined Traviata' which had me glancing nervously at the glass roof, a couple of corps members' self-choreographed works, and an abbreviated class with two PDD excerpts from four School members (I think they said from this year's graduating class).  One of those girls, who looked to me perhaps Korean and I think was called Angel, particularly stood out. There wasn't quite enough to time to get from event to event in different places, so I missed out on a dance duets session in the Clore, but overall it was a very uplifting morning.

Edited by Quintus
  • Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 23:32, alison said:

Just discovered Marks & Spencer's fig and hazelnut bread (remaindered, of course :) ).  Yum! 

Should also have added their orange and crimson raisin boule :P - just as long as you haven't got a sore mouth, as the crust can be a bit challenging.

Yesterday evening we went to an Italian restaurant in Old Windsor that we hadn't tried before.  Small, unpretentious and busy, with four attentive waiters on duty.  There was a large party of young women celebrating a birthday - helium balloon and bunting etc - and out came a parade of waiters, one leading with a birthday cake with candles and one carrying a trumpet.  "Oh dear", I thought.  But he played Happy Birthday (admittedly not a demanding piece of music) so well that the entire restaurant burst into applause.  A silly moment, perhaps, but rather life-enhancing.

• Like 4