Room 202 - on the positive side

Anjuli_Bai

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was running out of Dettol Spray and it’s unobtainable locally and on Amazon whilst the most appalling price gouging is happening on EBay and I refuse to entertain the ludicrous prices that they are charging. Muttering to myself “I’m sure I’ve seen it somewhere else in the house!” I went on an expedition. I found a full bottle in the garden room and two half bottles in the bathroom. Why I had bottles in either place is an unsolved mystery but I was very pleased to find them and rather happy.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Fiz said:

I was running out of Dettol Spray and it’s unobtainable locally and on Amazon whilst the most appalling price gouging is happening on EBay and I refuse to entertain the ludicrous prices that they are charging. Muttering to myself “I’m sure I’ve seen it somewhere else in the house!” I went on an expedition. I found a full bottle in the garden room and two half bottles in the bathroom. Why I had bottles in either place is an unsolved mystery but I was very pleased to find them and rather happy.

I saw part of a programme ages ago that said the only 3 things you need to clean and sterilise your house are white vinegar, Milton's baby sterilising solution (or equivalent) and I can't remember what the third one was.

An author I follow, who started his career as a Vet, said the best thing they found for swabbing their examination tables down was bog standard toilet bleach.

I know some people may not be able to cope with the aromas but it may be of some help if you can't get what you usually use.  

BTW the clear Dettol surface spray looks very similar to a Tesco ownbrand one I was looking at for a friend the other day.  (There were plenty of sprays and other cleaning product available but not a single Dettol one.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

I saw part of a programme ages ago that said the only 3 things you need to clean and sterilise your house are white vinegar, Milton's baby sterilising solution (or equivalent) and I can't remember what the third one was.

An author I follow, who started his career as a Vet, said the best thing they found for swabbing their examination tables down was bog standard toilet bleach.

I know some people may not be able to cope with the aromas but it may be of some help if you can't get what you usually use.  

BTW the clear Dettol surface spray looks very similar to a Tesco ownbrand one I was looking at for a friend the other day.  (There were plenty of sprays and other cleaning product available but not a single Dettol one.)

I think the third one is probably washing up liquid. I watched a programme where they were making differing solutions in spray bottles depending on what they were wanting to clean. 

I use Milton to clean cups etc that are stained and use left over solution to wipe kitchen sides. It too will bleach clothes though if not careful. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, taxi4ballet said:

I reckon you can't beat a bowlful of scalding hot bubbly water and a clean cloth.

😂 It’s normally my work mug. Sometimes the tea stands in it for a few hours and the cloth looks anything but clean. I won’t touch it! 

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday, I walked 2.5 miles to Waitrose - and came away with half-a-dozen eggs (and nothing else).

Today, I went to Sainsbury's - and managed to get a pound of self-raising flour!

If anyone had told me a few months back that I would find such trivial things worthy of celebration, I'm sure I would never have believed them.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, alison said:

If anyone had told me a few months back that I would find such trivial things worthy of celebration, I'm sure I would never have believed them.

I tried Carlisle Sainsbury’s last week, first time out of lockdown, but couldn’t believe how alien the world seemed to have become and didn’t even join the queue for the reserved slot for vulnerable folk. Much better at Penrith this week and able to shop towards the end of the reserved hour without difficulty. Even better to pick up a click and collect order from the fabulous grocers/bakers who are providing wonderful service despite not being able to allow customers in the shop and delighted to pick up bread, scones and coffee beans. I quite agree there’s a real sense of satisfaction in achieving what in the past was routine. And the garden is looking a lot better for a fair amount of tending.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, alison said:

Yesterday, I walked 2.5 miles to Waitrose - and came away with half-a-dozen eggs (and nothing else).

Today, I went to Sainsbury's - and managed to get a pound of self-raising flour!

I know how you feel Alison as I managed to get eggs and flour at Lidl yesterday and it felt like such a big achievement. If nothing else, it is making me more appreciative of the simpler things in life. 

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

I'd like to give a shout-out to flower delivery company Bloom & Wild.  Sensitively recognising that such things may be painful for some people, they've twice emailed me recently to offer me the option of opting out of marketing emails relating, I think, to both Valentine's Day and now Mother's Day - and not only that, but if you choose to opt out they say you can safely browse their site, while logged in, without seeing any references to that particular day at all.  Not only is it a very appropriate thing to do in the current climate, when so many people have lost loved ones, but they were also offering it last year, presumably pre-pandemic, which I am very impressed by.

• Like 7

• 1 year later...

Public spiritedness/unexpected kindness. I managed to drop my phone when quickly getting into a friend’s car and didn’t notice anything awry for some time. Got back to my car after a walk and couldn’t see the phone - I’d hoped rather forlornly that I’d left it in my car. My IT guru searched on line for the phone and I was astonished when he said it was very close by. He activated the alarm which sounded by my car and I eventually found the phone by my windscreen wiper - not quite sure how I missed seeing the phone when driving home other than it was very much black on black. Clearly someone had found my phone and put it in as safe a place as they could. I’ve made some enquiries as to who to thank but so far without success. A massive relief which had put a bit of a dampener on a great walk.

• Like 7

• 4 months later...

A big shout for NHS A&E. Managed to fall and cut my forehead when on the fells yesterday. I’ve walked the innocuous ridge path dozens of times but the cloud was lifting and breaking and the views were ever changing and I must have been wanting to look in all directions simultaneously. Got patched up with many thanks to a couple of walkers who then walked with me for a while. I changed my dressing at lunchtime and had an hour’s rest - not something I normally do but fabulous to enjoy the stunning weather. When I got back to my car I was a bit surprised at what I saw so thought I better get some advice. Cockermouth hospital has minor injuries and as it was pretty much on the way home I called in. I was doubtful if they’d be open at the weekend but the pharmacist was there and he was adamant I should go to A&E at Carlisle - just the advice I needed. Given the A&E waits reported recently, I was a bit worried turning up at 6:00pm on a Bank Holiday weekend but I was very impressed with the service. And despite average waits of more than 2 hours, I was thoroughly tidied up, glued not stitched, felt extremely well looked after, and discharged by 9:00. It really was a cracking walk! 

• Like 12

• 3 months later...

An update to 28 August and much thanks to natural healing as well as NHS A&E. My head wound didn’t real heal and in October my GP prescribed antibiotics in case of infection. Still no great improvement and having seen a photo on the Friday the GP made another appointment for the Monday. That weekend (a couple of weeks ago now) things started improving and what I thought was a scab fell off. Not a scab but a tooth sized stone (a small incisor) which had been embedded in my fall but which over the weeks came to the surface.

The A&E doctor thought he’d got all the grit etc out but had said that some material can get deeply embedded. I hadn’t given it any thought as he’d done such a thorough job and the stone never caused any pain nor stopped me doing anything. Indeed this year I’ve managed two complete rounds of all 214 Wainwright Lake District fells (January to May and May to November) so the stone managed half a round and now sits in a small blue john bowl on the dresser.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, JohnS said:

two complete rounds of all 214 Wainwright Lake District fells (January to May and May to November)

Oh, that is what I want to hear about! I'm a Lancastrian transplanted to the deep West Country, and I'm afraid Dartmoor just does not do it for me in the way that roaming Borrowdale or back of Skiddaw does ...

• Like 3

I’m very fortunate to live back of Skiddaw with Binsey my local fell and Skiddaw 6 miles away. On clear days I can see Scafell Pike and Great Gable. Keswick is 12 miles away so I can be walking in Borrowdale  (Rosthwaite) in 40 minutes. The last few days have been fabulous for walking (if not driving) with frost, frozen ground, and sunshine. A delight to walk the central spine Walla Crag to Armboth Fell which was so wet and boggy in November.

• Like 4

Music to my ears @JohnS I was thinking this cold crisp weather would make even Ullscarf bearable. I had a lovely day up on Ullscarf from Greenup Edge down to Watendlath in a hot dry summer a few years ago - but still occasionally went almost over my ankles in the black mud up there!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

New local government arrangements in Cumbria were supposed to come into place on 1 April with the creation of two unitary authorities (Cumberland, and Westmorland & Furness), sadly splitting Cumbria and the Lake District in half. But the arrangements are not yet operating and the new Westmorland Council is not yet able to take credit payments, including pre payments for car parking which I’ve used for many years when leaving my car in Penrith for London trips. Having not been able to book in advance, I assumed the ticket machines would be operating but they only issue tickets for the day, not for 2 or 3 days. Last weekend I therefore had to use the Station car park where charges are more than double the cost of the local authority car park. A prime candidate for Room 101.

But I’m putting this in Room 102 as in finding credit card facilities have still not been arranged, I phoned Westmorland Council to express my exasperation and ask whether anything could be done for this weekend. I found myself talking to an ex Eden Council team member and she managed to book me a car parking place for the weekend. I asked about payment but she said as they couldn’t take credit card payments it would be free. She’d noted I’d been so inconvenienced last weekend and hoped the free parking would offset last week’s disappointments.
My ‘complaint’ to Westmorland has now morphed into a ‘compliment’ for the team member.

• Like 9

How about this for a piece of good luck news! 
On Tuesday as per usual I was going up to London on my weekly trek from Brighton. 
My partner offered to give me a lift to the station ( it’s four miles into town) so we could stop at a very good bread shop nearby. We pulled up outside the shop and my partner said —-oh where’s my wallet? And my phone? I must have left them in the hallway! 
Then he suddenly said - - wait a minute I didn’t put them on the roof of the car did I? 
I replied well I don’t know but why would you do that… but they won’t still be there by now will they!! ( a couple of choice swear words in above sentence have left out) 

He got out of the car and to our disbelief ….but immense relief …there was both the phone and the wallet still on top of the roof after a four mile journey but quite near the back against roof rack ….so another mile and it would have been curtains I’m pretty sure!! 

Anyway alls well that ends well in this case but never put things on the roof of the car before setting off …I once lost a good pair of fairly new walking boots this way 🙄

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, LinMM said:

How about this for a piece of good luck news! 
On Tuesday as per usual I was going up to London on my weekly trek from Brighton. 
My partner offered to give me a lift to the station ( it’s four miles into town) so we could stop at a very good bread shop nearby. We pulled up outside the shop and my partner said —-oh where’s my wallet? And my phone? I must have left them in the hallway! 
Then he suddenly said - - wait a minute I didn’t put them on the roof of the car did I? 
I replied well I don’t know but why would you do that… but they won’t still be there by now will they!! ( a couple of choice swear words in above sentence have left out) 

He got out of the car and to our disbelief ….but immense relief …there was both the phone and the wallet still on top of the roof after a four mile journey but quite near the back against roof rack ….so another mile and it would have been curtains I’m pretty sure!! 

Anyway alls well that ends well in this case but never put things on the roof of the car before setting off …I once lost a good pair of fairly new walking boots this way 🙄

Wow!

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

bit of a 'marmite' moment - but Quality Street have brought back their coffee cremes (sadly at the moment, just for this Christmas). I love 'em!! (probably too much). So in a few weeks will be heading to John Lewis to fill my personalised tin with them and orange cremes. Chriffa bliss!

• Like 5

Just now, zxDaveM said:

bit of a 'marmite' moment - but Quality Street have brought back their coffee cremes (sadly at the moment, just for this Christmas). I love 'em!! (probably too much). So in a few weeks will be heading to John Lewis to fill my personalised tin with them and orange cremes. Chriffa bliss!

Oooo yum....coffee and orange creams are my faves too.  Can you do a pick'n'mix of QS at John Lewis??  If so you'll have to fight me for those creams!  Or we can just deplete their stock together!!  😁

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sim said:

Oooo yum....coffee and orange creams are my faves too.  Can you do a pick'n'mix of QS at John Lewis??  If so you'll have to fight me for those creams!  Or we can just deplete their stock together!!  😁

yes, you can buy a tin with just your faves in it at the special QS pic'n'mix in John Lewis in Oxford St (plus stores around the country). I that if you have a JS card, you can pick just type if you like - otherwise it's 3. If you have a tin from last year - you can take that along and get a refill. Genius idea!

Last year they also had one in Kingston, but not sure it's there this year. Usually available from mid-October - though the Oxford St one open now (it was on the 3rd floor in the Christmas Dept last year). Worth visiting just to look at it!! lol

• Thanks 1