Room 202 - on the positive side

Anjuli_Bai

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

'Tis a lovely morning so got my garden furniture organised and was sitting outside with the paper and a coffee. It was all very pleasant apart from a muffled but insistant knocking sound. I tried to ignore it but there it was, getting inside my head and spoiling my karma. I went indoors and the sound was louder. It was coming from upstairs and turned out to be my beloved, who is doing a bit of painting in prep for putting the house on the market. He had, I would have thought unwisely but I wouldn't dream of saying so, removed the handle from the bathroom door, gone in and closed the door rather too firmly, only to find he could not open it. Hence the annoying - for me -  and increasingly vexed knocking.  

I was momentarily tempted to pretend I had not heard him and leave him in there. But in the end I relented and helped him out. I thought it was funny, like the time he fell through the kitchen roof while trying to replace the felt. He wasn't  hurt. That wouldn't  be funny. He wasn't  amused either and that made me laugh even more. Happy days!

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Jacqueline said:

'Tis a lovely morning so got my garden furniture organised and was sitting outside with the paper and a coffee. It was all very pleasant apart from a muffled but insistant knocking sound. I tried to ignore it but there it was, getting inside my head and spoiling my karma. I went indoors and the sound was louder. It was coming from upstairs and turned out to be my beloved, who is doing a bit of painting in prep for putting the house on the market. He had, I would have thought unwisely but I wouldn't dream of saying so, removed the handle from the bathroom door, gone in and closed the door rather too firmly, only to find he could not open it. Hence the annoying - for me -  and increasingly vexed knocking.  

I was momentarily tempted to pretend I had not heard him and leave him in there. But in the end I relented and helped him out. I thought it was funny, like the time he fell through the kitchen roof while trying to replace the felt. He wasn't  hurt. That wouldn't  be funny. He wasn't  amused either and that made me laugh even more. Happy days!

I'm sure 'im indoors has just added that to room 101...  :-)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What a fabulous 4 day Easter weekend,  of which the highlight for me was seeing 42nd Street on Saturday.  Such an amazing show with old style Hollywood glamour, superb tapping and wonderful singing.  Just a joy to watch and a fabulous day out.  The sun was shining in London and  Covent Garden was thronged with happy people enjoying the sights.  This was followed by a wonderful Sunday with a great friend and luckily for me a great meal (I cooked real food for a change, with a receipe and everything!!).  Summed up by a relaxing Monday with a good book.  All was right with the world this weekend!

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

There is a trend around here for houses that had been rethatched to have amazing straw animals on the apex of the roof. Mostly see hares and foxes but one has a cat,  tail in air looking ready to pounce on his prey. Last night as a drove past there was a queue of wood pigeons lined up in front of cat,  they looked like they were taunting him. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm with Huddsballetmum on 42nd Street. Just caught a midweek matinee and can't stop smiling. Terrific tap dancing - I have no idea how they are going to do it all again, fabulous costumes and sets, daft story, an all round happy experience.  The friend I went with and I have put it in our 'feeling fed up, need an immediate lift' category and I suspect that it will be a multi visit show. To top it all, I got day seats £15, row G - stalls. Couldn't believe our seats. Highly recommended!

• Like 5

I've been thoroughly entertained for the last day or so by a truly epic thread on Mumsnet (anyone else who's a regular on there will know the one I mean!!).

It involves damage to a listed building and includes dodgy builders, furious council planning department inspectors, patio doors, disappearing neighbours, drunken Glaswegians, garden gnomes, a Victoria-Wood-Style tribute song, a Spanish paella-pan wielding grandmother, and a Spiderman bouncy castle. Should you want to read the thread, then settle in as it will take you a long time to read - 1000 posts per thread, and it is now on thread 6... on AIBU, you can't miss it :o:D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If we've got an actual "funnies" thread I can't remember where it is, so thought I'd cheer up your day a little by adding this amusing anecdote from the World Athletics Championships yesterday.  Some athlete or former athlete, in an interview, was talking about how great, and knowledgeable, British athletics fans are.  She (I think it was a she) said "They really get the clap".  What she meant was that they understand how to do/the importance of the loud, accelerating rhythmic clapping which the spectators do to encourage the triple-jumpers and long-jumpers as they start their run-up to the takeoff point.  She could just have phrased it a little less unfortunately :wacko::D

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

On Tuesday I flew to England JUST after a big storm, spent a few lovely and partly even sunny and warm days in Liverpool and London and came back yesterday at night JUST before the next big storm here. Saw some awesome dance and met up with dear balletco'ers - am I not lucky?

Sitting in my warm flat, watching dancing trees and hearing howling winds :).

• Like 6

Hi Petunia I see you are based in Berlin. Well last year our lovely Saturday Ballet teacher Ruth in Brighton moved to Berlin.

she came back a few weeks ago for a visit and is loving it there and has really fallen in love with the city! She has now also found a couple of ballet classes to go to.

i may send you a PM with her details as it would be lovely for you to meet up and maybe have an additional ballet going and watching person to liase with.

Linda M 

Edited by LinMM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another vote for the kindness of strangers. I was the recipient of a ‘random act of kindness’ today. The thing that really touched me was less about the monetary value but so much more about the heartfelt words that came with it. A complete stranger told me that she was really pleased to have met me and that I’m an inspiration. Not in a cheesey, insincere, corporate way but in a genuine and warm way. It totally made my day and she couldn’t possibly have known that, as it turned out, it would be the absolute highlight of an otherwise difficult day 

• Like 7

Acts of kindness-random or not and no matter how small or seemingly  insignificant make the world a better place.I'll never forget a good few years ago I was on my way to pick my son up from the railway station. As I was crossing the road a lady approached me. I thought she was looking for directions, but she just smiled at me and said. You have a lovely face. (Believe me I'm no supermodel) but later, when I'd cooked the dinner, cleaned up, was picking up sopping towels from the bathroom floor and felt generally fed up, I remembered her words and they made me smile :) Patience, kindness and voicing general concern and appreciation for those around us are very important. You never know when you'll help make someone's day be a bit better... 

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got an ROH advent calendar through the post from a good friend :) 

Edit: just in case anyone was confused, NOT an ROH one, it's Oxfam - it just looks fairly similar to the ROH on the outside.

Edited by alison
Clarification
  • Like 1

Went to the ROH Month of Sundays event this morning - what an excellent couple of hours entertainment, in the Hall Formerly Known As Floral, for a mere fiver!  We had a great 'Reimagined Traviata' which had me glancing nervously at the glass roof, a couple of corps members' self-choreographed works, and an abbreviated class with two PDD excerpts from four School members (I think they said from this year's graduating class).  One of those girls, who looked to me perhaps Korean and I think was called Angel, particularly stood out. There wasn't quite enough to time to get from event to event in different places, so I missed out on a dance duets session in the Clore, but overall it was a very uplifting morning.

Edited by Quintus
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 23:32, alison said:

Just discovered Marks & Spencer's fig and hazelnut bread (remaindered, of course :) ).  Yum! 

Should also have added their orange and crimson raisin boule :P - just as long as you haven't got a sore mouth, as the crust can be a bit challenging.

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday evening we went to an Italian restaurant in Old Windsor that we hadn't tried before.  Small, unpretentious and busy, with four attentive waiters on duty.  There was a large party of young women celebrating a birthday - helium balloon and bunting etc - and out came a parade of waiters, one leading with a birthday cake with candles and one carrying a trumpet.  "Oh dear", I thought.  But he played Happy Birthday (admittedly not a demanding piece of music) so well that the entire restaurant burst into applause.  A silly moment, perhaps, but rather life-enhancing.

• Like 4

• 8 months later...

Well the positive news is that I'm now the owner of an Apple iPhone XS Max .....after talking about getting one since the iPhone 5!!

I'm also lucky enough to have the latest iOS 13 installed on it....this IPad is 9.3 something! 

A bit of a gruelling first day getting it up and running ....especially down to Vodaphone having a problem activating the new SIM card took them nearly two days to sort it out.....but as ever Apple support is pretty nigh on perfect ......amazing that they get into the phone and I then had a very helpful red arrow pointing to what I had to do next etc. Nice and easy for people like me!!

Anyway a slight blip......when I went into the Forum from the iPhone I can't do anything .....like or comment on posts etc ....which I can still do with no probs on the iPad. I can still read everything though. 

Something comes up asking me to sign in at the bottom .....do you have to do this the first time you access from an iPhone? 

I thought it would just recognise me from accessing from iPad 

I haven't had to sign in for years .....password ...have no idea!! 

One good thing though is the phone has already seen that I go on the Forum site a few times a day so now a box comes up ( among other sites often visited)  when I go to safari with the ballet forums label...so fast to access 😊

26 minutes ago, LinMM said:

the phone has already seen that I go on the Forum site a few times a day so now a box comes up ( among other sites often visited)  when I go to safari with the ballet forums label...so fast to access

I have to say I get slightly alarmed when I open my iPad mid morning and I find I’m encouraged to set my timer for brewing my coffee.  I think it’s only been doing this for a couple of months, I assume when I ran an update on something.

Someone said that they had been talking about buying something .....not searching the web ....just talking and when they went on their phone there were adverts for the item they had been talking about....spooky. Perhaps that Siri who is in modern Apple phones is also listening to you ....eg recognises your voice...when you are not using the phone!! 

I know if my partner has been looking at items on his Apple computer ....like wood work tools ...if I go on my iPad I'm wondering why all these adverts for woodwork tools are appearing on my Facebook page ....especially as he is not on Facebook ....possibly because we are connected by same wifi hub. 

I will see if my phone starts listening to me!! 😟

4 hours ago, LinMM said:

I know if my partner has been looking at items on his Apple computer ....like wood work tools ...if I go on my iPad I'm wondering why all these adverts for woodwork tools are appearing on my Facebook page ....especially as he is not on Facebook ....possibly because we are connected by same wifi hub. 

I will see if my phone starts listening to me!! 😟

that will be tracking cookies, as your devices 'linked' through the same wi-fi connection will share these dratted things

• Like 1

Tomorrow will have a go at signing in to the Forum on my phone .....will be interesting to see if it affects my access on the iPad in any way!! 

And will see in the next week or so if my phone seems to be spying on me....though that would have to go in room 101!