Tring Classical Ballet Academy audition

Danceroo

• 1 month later...

Can anyone tell me if the straps on the tring CBA lilac leotard need to be attached in a criss cross at the back or straight over the shoulder. I'm thinking straight over the shoulder but just wanted to check. Also do they prefer 2 cross cross elastic or 1 elastic straight across on ballet shoes. I know some teachers differ on this as elmhurst seem to like 2 elastics crossed and I know some certain RBS teachers only like 1 single elastic.

On the label (or on the paperwork, I forget) for the senior leotard, it actually specified how to sew the straps. Are there similar instructions on either the label of the Junior leotard or the invoice from Dancing Boutique?

Mine came with instructions from the dancing boutique and am also doing straps today! However I can't get over how small the leotards come up! My dd is 10 but I have bought the small ladies as I think she would have squeezed one term out of the C3! They are too expensive to only use for one term.

You're right, the leotards come up really small! The leotard straps go straight over the shoulder and don't cross at the back.

Split sole shoes generally come with either one elastic or two to cross over. I've seen people wearing both types, so it is probably fine to have either style. (The ones with a single elastic tend to be cheaper though).

• Like 1

Elmhurst socks for Boys and I'm fairly sure girls too !

DS was not impressed after wearing tights for RAD Classes to have to go back to shorts and socks again ! It's just one of those things they have to get used to .....I've had no further complaints from him as they are all in the same boat !

• 4 years later...

Just found this thread after searching for info on how difficult it is to gain a place on CBAs and wondered if any of you could shed some light on whether CBA are looking for? Is potential to develop more important than current level?

CBA have asked me to submit a video audition as complete one off as they "are interested to see her level of ability" and I am thinking,

- are they looking for  high level ability in terms of accurate technique?

- ability in terms of higher grade work (My 9.5 yr old is taking grade 2 this summer i.e. not advanced- they move slowly in her school)

- ability as in natural talent/ability to perform and dance?

- ability as in the RBS vein of making them do very bizarre bends and assessing whether they will make prima ballerina one day (!)

DD has quite a classical ballet physique but isn't particularly strong or flexible (yet), and she has more skill on the performance/interpretation side of dance. She has the interest and drive to cope with a more intense program of training. I'm just wondering if there's much chance of getting into CBA or what to aim for on this video. She has a place with NYB Juniors this summer (first time she has done anything like this) and has done festivals for 2 yrs and done very well with them (qualifies for All England, has placed first etc). Any kind of comparisons to help me get a feel would be appreciated. xx

At your dd's age (9) they will be less concerned with current grade and more at future potential and a trainable physique. They won't worry whether candidates are strong or flexible yet, and will look at whether there is facility for that to be developed. 

• Like 1