Royal ballet summer school

Dancing taxi

Hello I am not aware that they favour the associates over non associates, from what I have read on the forums many foreign students attend the summer school who are not associates and travel to the UK, as do students from a diverse cross section of ballet backgrounds.

Maybe some of the parents whose DD's and DS's who have had the experience may be able to confirm this. I would say no matter what background if the child is really passionate about attending then there is nothing lost in applying. . . .

Regards

Amber2167

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when they're deciding who to offer SS places to - as is apparent from all the comments on this thread and the other on the go at the moment, some associates get in, some don't, some get in one year and don't the next or vice versa, some getting waiting list one year and not another. And all from just the photos and a letter from the teacher (I think that's right isn't it?) - and knowing them of course if they're associates.

Intriguing......

I think you're right Angela - I had always thought it was just photos - which makes it more intriguing really.... but when Glowlight mentioned sending a covering letter it got me confused ;) It was Elmhurst (full-time) who actually ask for a letter.

Glowlight- I find it hard to believe that a letter from ballet teacher would make a difference unless your teacher is widely known and respected.

I know for a fact that there is some direct communication between some JA teachers and Miss Stock, but I suspect they don't have an influence over the final outcome.

I just imagine she sits there with a huge pile of photos and has 3 piles a yes, no and maybe! It is fun, but probably pointless, to speculate. And it does seem that children who apply on more than one occasion can get a different response each time.

Sometimes the children that come in from the waiting list are the ones who go on to get invited to audition for the school or win prizes, so it is obviously far from infallible.

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies and advise. Personally I do find it very strange to select children purely from a photo I must admit i do think being part of an associate programme would help as they have seen the child on a regular basis.

But whom knows - (I would however like to be a fly on the wall; that would be interesting)

It would seem to me that a photo would show how a child looks - but not how he/she moves. I've had students who could strike a marvelous pose (arabesque/attitude, etc.) - but moving through a dance sequence was quite another thing entirely.

• Like 2