I see that today sky arts broadcasting the Bolshoi’s Spartacus, with Carlos Acosta. Have to say that it must be a spectacular show, as the photo shows Spartacus riding a live horse, and have to say that Carlos looking remarkably like Kirk Douglas!! Lol

• Like 8

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Nureyev doc is on Tuesday evening from 10.15-12.25am so quite a long one. 

• This striking and moving documentary from BAFTA nominated directors Jacqui and David Morris traces the extraordinary life of Rudolf Nureyev. From his birth in the 5th class carriage of a trans-Siberian train, to his dramatic leap to freedom in the West at the height of the Cold War, and unprecedented adulation as the most famous dancer in the world. The film highlights Nureyev's unlikely yet legendary partnership with Margot Fonteyn and charts his meteoric rise to the status of global cultural phenomenon. Nureyev's life plays out like the sweeping plot of a classic Russian novel. His story is Russia's story. Blending never-before-seen footage, with an original score by award-winning composer Alex Baranowski and spellbinding newly choreographed dance tableaux directed by Royal Ballet alumnus, Russell Maliphant, Nureyev is a theatrical and cinematic experience like no other. This is a portrayal as unique as the man himself. There will never be another Nureyev.

It follows another in the Akram Khan series at 9pm Why do we Dance, focusing on the tango.

The Bolshoi Spartacus starring Carlos is repeated Thursday 30th May at the more usual SkyArts ballet time of 6.35am.

Odyssey is definately right. SkyArts are showing a lot more ballet and opera than they used to. They've shown more in the last few weeks than they've shown in about the last 6 months.Long may it continue though it's a pity the BBC can't make more of a effort. I suppose it's too much to hope for that one of the reasons the Fonteyn programme is being kept secret is because it's being filmed?  That's probably just wishful thinking but hers is the only ballerinas name (apart from Darcey Bussell) that most people not interested in ballet will know. It would at least partly compensate for the very lukewarm ROH 'celebrations' of our only prima ballerina assoluta.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

SkyArts next week 

Tuesday 18th

10pm until 11pm Natalia:a force of nature. NEW

11pm-12.30 Osipova at sadlers Wells (repeat) 

Wednesday 19th 

7am Australia Ballet Cinderella NEW (first showing this morning but I missed it.) 

Friday 21st 

6am Natalia at Sadlers Wells 

7pm Natalia: a force of nature. Repeat 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another new ballet on SkyArts. 

Sunday 30th June 11am Australian Ballet Coppelia. Seems to last two hours. 

Repeated Friday 5th July at 7am.

6am the same day they're showing a repeat of Force of Nature : Natalia Osipova. 

4 hours ago, RHowarth said:

Looks like Moulin Rouge: the Ballet is on on 14 July... no further information was available in my listings when I put it on record yesterday.

I think this is the Royal Winnipeg Ballet production; I thought it was pretty dreadful ("If those cancan girls shimmy their ruffles one more time I'll......aaargh"

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Moulin Rouge debuts on SkyArts on Sunday 14 July at 7pm. Lasts two hours. It is also repeated Monday 15 at 2.10am and Tuesday 16 at 4pm. 

Interesting that Joseph Sissons was nominated in the Breakthrough category in the SkyArts Awards though unfortunately he didn't win. 

SkyArts are showing Balanchine's Midsummer Nights Dream as a new ballet to them though possibly the one filmed for broadcast two years ago. No casting details on sky  box or Radio Times. It is shown on Sunday 21st July at 9.10am to 11am. Can't see a repeat up to Friday of next week which is when the Radio Times ends. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jmhopton said:

SkyArts are showing Balanchine's Midsummer Nights Dream as a new ballet to them though possibly the one filmed for broadcast two years ago. No casting details on sky  box or Radio Times. It is shown on Sunday 21st July at 9.10am to 11am. Can't see a repeat up to Friday of next week which is when the Radio Times ends. 

NB - it is Paris Opera Ballet, rather than NYCB. Though I suppose that is usually the case on Sky Arts...

6 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

NB - it is Paris Opera Ballet, rather than NYCB. Though I suppose that is usually the case on Sky Arts...

Yes sorry about this. I forgot to mention it is a POB production. Interesting to see how it compares to Ashton's The Dream. I've always tended to prefer the latter shorter version as it just seems so much more magical somehow but will be interested to see a longer version.

Haven't seen anything balletwise in next weeks Radio Times but they did publish my third ballet letter to them in which I praised the recent ballets shown on SkyArts and said it was a pity ballet and opera was not better represented on terrestrial tv especially as the BBC Director General was the previous Chief Executive of the ROH. The letter is headed Heavenly Footwork (their heading not mine!) and is rather tucked away at the bottom of the third feedback page.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Natalia Osipova: The Mother on Sky Arts Monday 19th at 22.45 to 00.10. 'A powerful narrative dance production based on Hans Christian Andersen's dark tale, choreographed by Arthur Pita and starring Natalia Osipova'. I didn't get to see it live so I will be interested to see this one.

Edited by Janite
  • Like 2

does anyone have any experience of TV5 Europe?
I see that Polina is on next week? from my search it seems it is possible to watch with subtitles on the net.

http://europe.tv5monde.com/en/tv-shows/schedule

Talented ballerina Polina abandons her plans to join the prestigious Bolshoi Ballet in Russia, moving to France instead to work with gifted choreographer Liria Elsaj.

Thursday 15th August on TV5 Europe from 8:00pm to 9:49pm

• 1 month later...

Three Natalia Osipova programmes coming soon.

1. Natalia Osipova at Sadler's Wells

Multi-award-winning Russian classical ballerina Natalia Osipova gives a stunning contemporary dance performance at Sadler's Wells Theatre, London.

Tomorrow on Sky Arts from 6:00am to 7:30am (Sat 28th)

2. Natalia Osipova: The Mother

Ballet. A stunning dance theatre, based on Hans Christian Andersen's The Story of a Mother, featuring ballet dancer Natalia Osipova.

Wednesday 2nd October on Sky Arts from 11:00pm to 12:25am

3. Force of Nature Natalia

Documentary. Director Gerry Fox presents an intriguing portrait of celebrated danseuse Natalia Osipova and provides a unique look into her dancing career while the artist prepares for her Royal Ballet season.

Film Documentary

Wednesday 2nd October on Sky Arts from 10:00pm to 11:00pm

Edited by Janite
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

At last a ballet On Sky Arts 

Les Patineurs

Ballet. Frederick Ashton's choreography evokes a Christmas scene on an Edwardian ice rink, set to a score by Giacomo Meyerbeer. Paul Murphy conducts

Saturday 23rd November on Sky Arts from 6:00am to 6:30am

52 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

I couldn't change the font size for blue lettering above...

48 minutes ago, Janite said:

I do not know how to edit either.( I was on my mobile on a train). All help gratefully received. 

I think it may be because it is a "link" but usually they can be edited.  It's a mystery.

Janite, I find editing much harder, if not impossible, on a mobile.  Thanks for the heads up.

Peter Wright's The Nutcracker. Created for Birmingham Royal Ballet and now performed by The Australian Ballet, Peter Wright's production of The Nutcracker is considered the world's most beautiful. Recorded in 2008.

Friday 29th November on Sky Arts from 3:10pm to 5:00pm

(Now Channel 122 on Sky, 123 on Virgin)

disclaimer, not my views Sky Arts blurb.

Edited by Janite

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing new balletwise on SkyArts in the next couple of weeks but a few interesting repeats. The following are from a quick look. there may be something I missed.

Sunday 1st Dec. 3pm. Nureyev doc. (Not on Sky box. Seems to have been replaced by a Jonathan Miller La Boheme; presumably in tribute).

Monday 2nd Dec. 2pm.  Peter Wright's the Nutcracker. I think this is the BRB version but danced by Australian ballet.

Wed. 4th Dec. 6am. Discovering dance on Film.

2pm. Nureyev doc. again.

Thurs. 5th Dec. 10.30am Les Patineurs. (McRae, Lamb, Pennefather)

Fri. 6th Dec. 7am. Patineurs repeat. Also Sat 7th Dec. 7am.

Mon 9th Dec. 6.10am. Bach's Christmas Oratorio: a ballet by John Neumier. (I don't remember this shown before but it's not marked as New so perhaps it has.)

Wed. 11th Dec. 6am Les Patineurs.

6.35 Graeme Murphy's Swan Lake.

Thurs. 12th Dec. 6am. Peter Wright's Nutcracker.

4pm. Gene Kelly: to live and dance.

• Like 3