Sky arts are showing Nureyev's Don Q (Australian Ballet1973) on Monday 3rd September at 7:05 am. They are also showing RB's Giselle (a repeat I think as we still have this on our sky box but I can't find any further information  re cast or year) tomorrow (29th August) at 7:00 am.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a warning for anyone planning to record from SkyArts. if you want to do it make sure it's within a week of being broadcast as otherwise you will have to pay an extra subscription. This is something that has been brought in fairly recently as in the past I've browsed through their performances and downloaded them no problem. However, when I tried to do this a couple of weeks ago a message came up saying I would have to pay extra (£5 I think). It might have been a one-off charge rather than a monthly subscription but when I spoke to someone they said after a week the original broadcast programmes are counted as 'box sets' and charged for accordingly. Not sure if this refers to all Sky Channels but just for interest I clicked on an episode of Father Brown from Alibi and the same thing happened. I think this is just Sky channels. BBC still stay as long as they say they will. They kept that quiet. What a rip off after what they charge!

Edited by alison
To highlight text
  • Like 2

Thanks for that warning, Joan.  Apologies for playing around with your formatting, but I've been thinking for a while that we could do with a way of highlighting posts and parts of posts which might be of ongoing interest or otherwise need picking out of a whole thread so that they can be spotted easily, so thought I'd use this as a test.  I'm looking for something that will be easily noticeable when scrolling, but hopefully not make the text too difficult to read.  If anyone wants to give feedback, I'll set up a thread in the "About" forum so we don't clutter this one up unnecessarily.

This one is in Orange, BTW.

• 1 month later...

The masterclass lasts approximately 10 minutes and features Ed Watson demonstrating some basic steps in classical ballet and then dancing  a short extract from Manon. It has been shown previously - no surprise. This tiny spec in Sky Arts programming pales in comparison to the rehearsals or insights which the Royal Ballet regularly make available . For balletomanes Sky Arts is increasingly a joke. Prediction for Christmas - reruns of RB Nutcracker and Les Patineurs , Mariinsky Sleeping Beauty  and Australian Ballet Swan Lake.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alison said:

Especially if it's the Mariinsky version :) 

The Sky Arts listing states it's the Mariinsky version but is illustrated by a picture of Marianela Nuñez and Carlos Acosta in a still which is clearly from the Royal Ballet production. 

Edited to add that other listings websites indicate that it is the Royal Ballet version which will be shown. 

Sky Arts Listing for Bayadère.JPG

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

SkyArts are repeating Les Patineurs 6am Saturday 26th Jan and also Rhapsody/2 Pigeons 7am next Wed the 30th. That's a triple bill I would love to see at the ROH!

Ballet seems to be getting increasingly marginalised on SkyArts which, despite it's title, seems to be going increasingly down the populist 'pop' route, showing very little ballet and opera and virtually nothing new. A shame when so much is shown at the cinema you think they could broadcast on tv.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

There was a programme last week on Sky Arts about Zizi Jeanmaire and Roland Petit linked to Saint Laurent style. I learned about it too late and I don't have Sky anyway. If someone has recorded it, I will be very grateful for a chance to see this programme. 

Edited by Amelia
typo

• 2 months later...

On Sunday, 5th May at 11:30 (and repeated later in the week I think) Sky Arts is showing The Royal Ballet Sleeping Beauty - billed as new but no indication of casting on my sky box.  On the same day Matthew Bourne's The Car Man at 4pm and Northern Ballet's Casanova on Monday 6th May. 

On 04/05/2019 at 17:41, mimi'smom said:

On Sunday, 5th May at 11:30 (and repeated later in the week I think) Sky Arts is showing The Royal Ballet Sleeping Beauty - billed as new but no indication of casting on my sky box.  On the same day Matthew Bourne's The Car Man at 4pm and Northern Ballet's Casanova on Monday 6th May. 

2017 live screening performance Nunez and Muntagirov with a supporting cast to die for.

• Like 1

Thank you for alerting us. I wonder if Sky Arts has struck a new deal - it used to regularly broadcast the ‘live’ screening performances about a year later, and we have had two ‘new’ RB productions in fairly quick succession after a long, period of repeats.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Thalia said:

More from the Royal Ballet next Sunday, too!

Sun 19 May 12.45pm - Ashton Triple Bill. The Dream, Symphonic Variations and Marguerite & Armand. 

Presumably these are the same performances as on the DVD? (which I have !)

You can get Sky Arts with a Nowtv box and Entertainment Pass. Full price for the pass is 7.99 a month and you can cancel anytime. New customer offers are always around, currently I have seen a 6 month pass for about £24. The box itself is tiny and inexpensive. I got mine when my Sony tv stopped supporting Iplayer.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GailR said:

I got mine when my Sony tv stopped supporting Iplayer.

I got mine when they first came out.  It was one of the best £10s I ever spent.  I upgraded recently to a "stick" - the £20 included a 2-month entertainment pass.  I bought it in Curry's and the young man who made the sale told me that they often have offers on the vouchers so he tends to stock up when they are on offer.

Apologies for being a bit late posting this but I see SkyArts are showing the 2017 Ashton triple The Dream, Symphonic Variations and Marguerite and Armand (Yanovsky's farewell performance) today at 12.45pm. I know it's been available on dvd for a while but it's 'New' to SkyArts so presumably hasn't been shown there before. It is followed by a programme called Why Do We Dance? 3pm to 4.15 (no details given) The latter may be part of a series as there is another programme of the same name on Tuesday 21st May at 9pm; this one headed New, and presented by Akram Khan who 'examines how dance is often used to feel a sense of unity and to find solace and refuge'.

• Like 2

The Khan programme is 4 of 6. Been good so far as it determines why people of all nations and religions feel the need to express themselves in dance. Don’t worry if you have missed the earlier programmes they are all available in catch up but be advised that one of the episodes does contain male and female nudity which some may find offensive.

Sky Arts is definitely ‘upping its game ‘. Three new to air and fairly recent performances from the ROH plus  a new dance documentary series and the Osipova documentary to come. Does anyone know the reason for this apparent rediscovery of part of their original brief?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Sky Arts is definitely ‘upping its game ‘. Three new to air and fairly recent performances from the ROH plus  a new dance documentary series and the Osipova documentary to come. Does anyone know the reason for this apparent rediscovery of part of their original brief?

they've run out of Andre Rieu to show (for the umpteenth time)?   🙂

• Like 8