• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this has been added earlier on, but Australian Ballet's Sleeping Beauty (David McAllister)Ā is available to watch on Sky Arts catch up/box setsĀ in addition to the Nutcracker (Peter Wright)Ā and Graeme Murphy's Swan Lake which have been available for a while.

• Like 1

On 14/12/2016 at 09:02, Don Q Fan said:

I have a DVD of the Murphy Swan Lake by Australian Ballet so one does exist.

Ā 

Yes it is indeed still available (Australian Ballet Shop), Odette Madeleine Eastoe, Prince Robert Curran, Baroness Danielle Rowe - none of whom are still with the company, in fact Eastoe and Curran have retired, Curran now director of Louisville Ballet in Kentucky, USA. Be aware that when you look at the cover, it shows Amber Scott and Adam Bull, neither of whom are dancing on the DVD, but "they were the ones we had proper photos of in costume"Ā is what I was told when I queried it.Ā :huh::huh::rolleyes:Ā 

Ā 

Also available (Nutcracker DVD) is the Peter WrightĀ NutcrackerĀ (the one without Hans-Peter), with Benedicte Bemet as Clara, Andrew Killian Drosselmeyer, and Madeleine Eastoe and Kevin Jackson as Sugar Plum Fairy and Cavalier, plus theĀ Sleeping BeautyĀ with Lana Jones, Kevin Jackson, Amber Scott (Lilac) and Lynette Wills as Carabosse.

Ā 

Another option is theĀ ABC ShopĀ (our BBC) which, bizarrely, has a wider range than the ballet site: MurphyĀ Romeo and JulietĀ (Jackson, Eastoe), Heritage Collection (8 full ballets from 1984-95), a 3-DVD set called the "Tchaikovsky Collection" for only $33 which is all three of the single DVDs listed above.Ā Plus the "Heritage Collection" set (Sleeping Beauty, Giselle, La Fille Mal GardĆ©e, CoppĆ©lia, Spartacus, The Merry Widow, Nutcracker: The Story of Clara, and Manon, the last four of which feature Steven Heathcote) is currently $80 compared with $135 on the ballet's site.

Ā 

Maybe this post should be in another section? Mods please feel free to move appropriately.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Found the following broadcasts up to next Monday.

Ā 

Friday 13 April 6.55am - Giselle (Osipova/Acosta)

Sunday 15 April 1.50pm - La Fille mal Gardee (RB - no cast shown)

Monday 16 April 6.00am - Ballet 422 (Documentary going behind the scenes at New York City Ballet as choreographer Justin Peck crafts a new work, following the creative process from first rehearsal to world premiere)

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Pulcinella said:

Found the following broadcasts up to next Monday.

Sunday 15 April 1.50pm - La Fille mal Gardee (RB - no cast shown)

Ā 

Ā 

According to my Sky box it is the Osipova/Macrae la Fille.

Also Thursday 19th April at 6am there is a modern ballet, Rain, music by Steve Reich

Northern Ballet's Casanova is still available on SkyArts catch upĀ  as is the Mariinsky Bayadere with Shklyarov.

Ā 

However, where is the ROH 'partner' the BBC in all this? What a disappointment Tony Hall has been to opera and ballet lovers. it is ironic that the former ROH boss goes on to be Director General of the BBC and there has never been so little live opera and ballet on the BBC. Yes, there are documentaries but scarcely an annualĀ appearance of actual filmed performances. It's not even as if they have to go to the expense of filming them as they're already filmed (assuming they use the cinema broadcasts) .

Ā 

• Like 7

Sunday 29 April 12 noon - repeated Wednesday 2 May 6.50am - Manon (new)

Monday 30 April 11pm - South Bank Originals: Wayne Sleep

Tuesday 1 May 4pm - repeatedĀ Wednesday 2 May 11am - Trailblazers: Dance (An eye-opening look at the most memorable dance videos ever made, from Madonna's Vogue to Psy's Gangnam Style. Noddy Holder presents.) Don't think this is really relevant but may be of interest to some.

Ā 

• Like 3

On 4/11/2018 at 10:14, jmhopton said:

Ā 

According to my Sky box it is the Osipova/Macrae la Fille.

Also Thursday 19th April at 6am there is a modern ballet, Rain, music by Steve Reich

Northern Ballet's Casanova is still available on SkyArts catch upĀ  as is the Mariinsky Bayadere with Shklyarov.

Ā 

However, where is the ROH 'partner' the BBC in all this? What a disappointment Tony Hall has been to opera and ballet lovers. it is ironic that the former ROH boss goes on to be Director General of the BBC and there has never been so little live opera and ballet on the BBC. Yes, there are documentaries but scarcely an annualĀ appearance of actual filmed performances. It's not even as if they have to go to the expense of filming them as they're already filmed (assuming they use the cinema broadcasts) .

Ā 

Ā 

At least we are served this:

Ā 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2018/dance-season

Edited by Xandra Newman
Spelling

8 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

Ā 

At least we are served this:

Ā 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2018/dance-season

Ā 

But that is what I mean; the BBC show a Macmillan doc but it is SkyArts that shows a 'new' full length performance ofĀ Ā Manon, which incidentally seems to be the POB version recorded a year or 2 previously with Aurelie Dupont. Just new to them but at least they are showing full length performances as this comes only a week or so after showing Osipova's Fille and Northern Ballet's Casanova. I know they are an arts channel and the BBC has to show a full range of programmes but I do think both opera and ballet performances fare very badly on the BBC and they do have BBC2 and BBC4 to show performances on.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Ā 

But that is what I mean; the BBC show a Macmillan doc but it is SkyArts that shows a 'new' full length performance ofĀ Ā Manon, which incidentally seems to be the POB version recorded a year or 2 previously with Aurelie Dupont. Just new to them but at least they are showing full length performances as this comes only a week or so after showing Osipova's Fille and Northern Ballet's Casanova. I know they are an arts channel and the BBC has to show a full range of programmes but I do think both opera and ballet performances fare very badly on the BBC and they do have BBC2 and BBC4 to show performances on.

Ā 

Vis a vis the Manon - if that is the case it will be with Dupont and Bolle.Ā  (There was much controversy vis a vis the latter.)Ā Ā 

31 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

Ā 

Vis a vis the Manon - if that is the case it will be with Dupont and Bolle.Ā  (There was much controversy vis a vis the latter.)Ā Ā 

Ā 

Really?Ā  I would have thought Bolle was perfect casting for Des Grieux.Ā  I don't know his age, of course, so maybe he's just not young enough anymore.Ā  Though I have seen,Ā  shall we say 'more mature' men tackle it very successfully.Ā  It's not that technically difficult is it?Ā  Apart of course from the exciting pdds but that surely that depends more on both partners being in synch with the risks involved.

Ā 

Linda

No, it was more the fact that Bolle was a guestā€¦ In fact he was a replacement. The fact that it was Dupont's last performance ā€¦ And she chose not to perform with the POB danseur.Ā  That as I understand it is what was worrying some I think.Ā 

5 hours ago, loveclassics said:

It's not that technically difficult is it?Ā 

Ā 

Oh no, it's a doddle.Ā  An absolute walk in the park.Ā  Anyone could do it ;)Ā  Especially the awfully exposed first solo.

• Like 1

Watching Manon right now and itā€™s giving me the most wonderful reminder of Bolleā€™s performances earlier this month at the Royal Opera House. Earlier in the week I watched the two Royal BalletĀ performances available on catch-up and even though the advertising showed Carlos Acosta for Giselle it was definitely the NuƱez/Muntagirov recording!Ā 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just caught this, it is on catchup for 29 days. Better known as Symphony in C or the titles said something like symphonie en ut. It is costumed by Christian Lacroix so very ornate and colourful. I am undecided about the majority of the tutus, they reminded me of the shape of jammy dodgersĀ and IĀ was concerned for the partners hands on the jewelled bodices. Apart from those distractions it was very well performed but with too many closeups for my taste. Happily it was very brightly lit :)Ā Thank you for the heads up mimiā€™smom.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...