Mariinsky Ballet - News

20 hours ago, capybara said:

The leading ballerina then was Altynai Asylmuratova.

Yes, her dancing was complimented by her prettiness. She often danced with Ruzimatov which made them such an exotic couple.
That 1988 Kirov tour, the first in 18 years, since Makarova’s defection in 1970, is unforgettable for me.
The principal ballerinas were excellent: Chenchikova, Terekhova. Kolpakova and Yevteyeva were dancing in Divertissement. Ayupova, 21, and Махалина, 20, were dancing variations.

However, for me the discovery of that tour was Galina Mesentseva. I was transfixed by the expressiveness of her body and movements and by her entire personality.

• Like 5

From discussing Lopatkina's retirement we somehow moved to other ballerinas. By the way, this is Lopatkina's view of Mezentseva:

"And Mezentseva – oh, she was serene, she was a queen, she had poise, beautiful lines and a profound dramatism. She could cast a spell effortlessly. The strongest impression anyone has made on me was Mezentseva with her Dying Swan."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galina_Mezentseva

Absolutely!

• Like 1

I was having to sort through some stuff today and came across all my Russian stuff from the visit to St Petersburg last November.

one of the things I discovered....and cannot remember now where I bought it...possibly the theatre museum next to Vaganova school is a large size fold out with about 20 largish pictures of Lopatkina and they are all fab. So glad I bought this now.

I thought some might be interested in something she said about herself on this fold out 

" If I hadn't been a ballerina I would never have known of the amazing opportunities people have in art.

This profession gave me the chance not just to listen to music but to become part of it 

not just to see the unique nature of the line of the drawing but to bring this line to life with my body

not just to feel and experience but to be the feelings and emotions themselves

not just to analyse and form an idea but to convey its content through movement without words".

Lopatkina is one classy dancer a true Prima Ballerina Assoluta.

she will be missed. I don't know what her future plans are but hope she will maintain some connection to Dance 

Im sorry she will be going before the Mariinsky come to the UK this summer a last chance to see her.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Amelia said:

From discussing Lopatkina's retirement we somehow moved to other ballerinas. By the way, this is Lopatkina's view of Mezentseva:

"And Mezentseva – oh, she was serene, she was a queen, she had poise, beautiful lines and a profound dramatism. She could cast a spell effortlessly. The strongest impression anyone has made on me was Mezentseva with her Dying Swan."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galina_Mezentseva

Absolutely!

Yes, Mezentseva, as well as Asylmuratova, were the last representatives of that glorious Kirov style that cast a spell on so many of us.

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

I'm surprised to see that there are still so many tickets available for Don Quixote which opens next Monday. There are also plenty of unsold tickets for the mixed programme, which is perhaps less surprising. IMO, it's a mistake to bring Infra to its 'home theatre'; surely, the company could have shown something else.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Ian Macmillan said:

I have just received an email from the ROH.  Apparently there are now discounted price tickets available for the Mariinsky's Don Q on 25 and 26 July, only - Stalls at £65 and Amphi at £35, using promotion code 'donquixote.'

I just tried, put the code into the box - but the prices stay the same! I tried selecting a stalls seat but it firmly stayed full price until the very last moment, i.e. just before confirming you are buying, so I'm not going to click that for fear of paying full price. Anyone got any advice?!

38 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Anyone got any advice?!

I just tried and it seemed to work - once you choose the seat it prompts you to choose either the full price or discounted price. I didn't attempt to go any further, though.

I entered the code as donquixote without any punctuation or upper case letters - I don't know if you did that too, but thought it worth checking!

30 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I just tried and it seemed to work - once you choose the seat it prompts you to choose either the full price or discounted price.

Many thanks lizbie - I don't get that choice (although it has accepted my promo code). I am stuck with a very slow internet connection so wonder if that might have something to do with the problem, I'll ask a friend to have a go for me!

8 hours ago, alison said:

I've had problems getting the site to accept promo codes (or even to show me the link for inserting them!) - I think it's browser-related.  Can you change your browser, Geoff?

7 hours ago, Loulabelle said:

It only worked for me when I wasn't signed in to my account.

Excellent tips: working now, thank you!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...