Simply Adult Ballet: the progress of one adult dancer who took up ballet later in life

Michelle_Richer

MMM it seems very unclear, the ticket were advanced purchase from Trainline.com, according to their website they are not responsible, the train operator is. At the bottom of the east coast form, it states you should go to who sold you the tickets. In any case I cannot even cancel my unused ticket for tomorrow from Glasgow to London through trainline.com as its an advanced booking.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It only says you should go to the website of whomever sold it to you IF you are having trouble claiming via the online form.

If you print out the form and fill it in by hand, you can post it to East Coast. Personally I would fill out two; one for today and one for the unused Glasgow to London ticket.

• Like 3

I just need to pick up the pieces and claim what I can from either party. I need to make up the time I have lost through being inactive. To that end I’ve already booked another time slot at our hall, Nicky’s slot, as she is on half term break. So I should get an hour of Giselle in, and an hour of Swan Lake, that will help make things up.

How absolutely frustrating for you Michelle!   I remember trying to get to a performance at Covent Garden from outer London and the train simply stopped outside one of the stations and stood there for 30 minutes and then proceeded to crawl the rest of the way.  We arrived at Charing Cross with about 6 minutes to get to the matinee and had to run all the way over the cobblestones - not easy dressed smartly in heeled shoes.  I would have given up, but my niece kept encouraging me - Come on Auntie, you can do it!   We got there as they were closing the doors and just sat down in our seats as the curtain went up.  It took me another 15 minutes to get my breathing normal again!  Still at least we made it!

By the way when I book rail tickets I have discovered that going through the actual rail company is cheaper than with the Trainline or Raileasy.  I booked my train tickets to Manchester in November through Virgin itself - it was the same price, but they didn't charge commission or a fee for paying by visa.  I believe that you can also take out insurance for a pound or so against cancellation or missed train.  I don't know which company your trains were with, but it might be worthwhile checking out.  I saved 7 pounds by booking with Virgin.

Just got back from London so no iPad and just read your sorry tale Michelle. So disheartening and infuriating when you are looking forward to something so much too.

I'm not sure what the situation is with advanced fares as I use a lot to go down to Cornwall and London. However I think if you don't make the journey because of the fault of the railway as such you can still get your money back just not if its you who miss the train or can't make the journey for some reason. Premier inns and Travel Lodges are more difficult depending on terms of booking....usually the cheapest option means no refund if you don't stay etc (which we mostly risk) but there is one where you can change the dates if necessary etc and transfer over to another time.....don't know which one you went for. Probably really the longer the distance perhaps it's better to go for the second option and especially travelling in the winter months......there's always something...rain/wind/ice and the flu! and so on.

Anyway really sorry you didn't get to Scottish Ballet can you have another go at some point?

Michelle, I am curious about your experience which you mentioned in another thread. Why was this young lady got upset?  How did you manage to talk her out of it?  I think it's very nice of you to be supportive, and I would like to know more about it.

Sorry if asking it in this thread is not very appropriate, but I felt it is more suitable here, as it is a more wider issue of adult learning ballet - particlarly those who just started :) .  I think more people will read it on this thread!

Edited by mimi66

The situation was fairly strait forward, that class has a real mix of abilities, it has an ex professional dancer in  it and another ballet teacher that teaches tots and Extended barre for adults, plus some nice adult dancers. A number of girls that has DD's at the school were encouraged to join our class, first week I think we had 5, they were treat quite separately for most of the movement and were given quite easy options, our teacher was absent the next week and we had a relief teacher in, things were really easy for everyone that week and I don't think the nubies were treat separately, anyway we always made sure they had someone to follow. Following week our teacher came back, full of bounce, by this time we were down to only three nubies, but we seem to do a lot of work on the diagonal that week in groups of two. Although our teacher always does an easier option for those that want it. I think this girl felt exposed and out of her depth, our teacher can be quite challenging at times.

I am please to say the young lady is still with us, but we have had another two week break from our regular teacher. Our dancing teacher did to an Extended barre session for us the first week, which is extremely aerobic, but good fun, everyone sweated bucket including our teacher. The second week is this week which was a disaster as I did make Scottish Ballet (see previous posts)

Oh dear.... 

I wonder why people sometimes feel self-conscious in the class. But I am glad she feels supported enough to come to the class now.

I am pretty thick faced when it comes to making mistakes (technique - hopefully not manners!).  My philosophy is, so what, if I can do this perfectly at the first try, I would be dancing in Covent Garden in 10 days time -(ah, if things were that easy...).

Edited by mimi66

In my experience ballet teachers are very good at creating emotinally safe place for people to learn.

I remember a long time ago in a adult beginners' class, I fell over very dramatically when my attempt at double pirouette en de danse went wrong. People laughed loudly (I didn't mind a bit, though). The teacher was very quick to reprimand the whole class.

I hope the lady now learned that it is safe to make mistakes in a ballet class - that's called practice!

• Like 2

Hi mimi66

That's interesting about your pirouette, if I do a woopsee, I really don't mind if people laugh, I will probably laugh with them, the class be told off I would find embarrassing. The reaction to falls between teacher I find is quite different, I really do hate someone saying "now be careful", I can almost sense the "dear" on the end, almost as if they are implying you should not be doing that at your age. This is when expletives come into my mind but I just smile nicely. One of my favourite classes has the attitude, you fall over, you get strait back up again and carry on, that fits well with my mind set, and it all part of learning.

I've commuted daily to RAD headquarters for two weeks a couple of years ago when my dd did a summer school there & I found quickest & easiest way was Clapham Junction & then either walking (15 mins) or hop on the 170 bus from back entrance of station (5 mins). You can't walk across bridge from Imperial Wharf, it's trains only.

Hi It her life

Thank you, I'm with RAD during daylight on the 17th of November, I think I will try the 170 from Victoria, and then walk to Clapham Junction for my journey home. It sounds as if its no longer than the one I do every week to ENB from South Kensington station, I just hope the area has good lighting, as it will be Thursday evenings starting January.

Maybe not an ideal walk to do in the evenings Michelle. Some parts well lit, but not all. Perhaps you would be better off getting the 170 to Clapham Junction. Literally only takes 5 mins. When you come back up the lane from the RAD, the bus stop is just to your left on same side of road. In fact the stop you would have got off at having previously got 170 from Victoria. Bus then goes along parallel to river & down road to back entrance of station.

Probably by the time you leave the rush hour will be over so may as well stay on the 170 to Victoria and then it's just the tube up to Kings Cross......save messing around Clapham Junction etc.

However on the way there because will be the rush hour perhaps the Clapham Junction option may be quicker.

No no no! Think I'd better point out, Clapham Junction is the opposite direction to Victoria, it's actually SOUTH RAD HQ. So basically the 170 bus runs from Victoria, through Sloane Sq, Knightsbridge etc, then over bridge into Battersea (where you would get off at the stop just after Battersea Square) then carries on down to station. So station and Victoria are opposite directions. So if you want to get 170 bus back to Victoria you would come out of RAD and cross over to opposite side of road & bus stop is just to left - ie not the bus going in direction of Clapham Junction. Sorry if I created any confusion.

Ive got a pretty good idea of where Clapham Junction is in relation to Victoria and RAD but not the route of the 170 bus as I don't know this bus at all. But anyway you've explained very well how toget the bus back to Victoria now!! I know it only takes about 6-7 mins on the train from Clapham to Victoria if you go that route and trains are fairly frequent but then a bit of trek across the station to the tube.

It may however be cheaper to do just bus and tube.

My own preference would be not to do the walk from RAD to Clapham.

However as an intrepid traveller I'm sure you will sort it all out Michelle! :)

Why is that Balleteacher, do you think I might get into trouble for upsetting the muggers?

Michelle - I think that remark is absolutely uncalled for.  People are offering practical advice based on local experience.  It's her life at post #116 advises against the walk at night because parts are not well lit.

Michelle - I think that remark is absolutely uncalled for.  People are offering practical advice based on local experience.  It's her life at post #116 advises against the walk at night because parts are not well lit.

I really do think Michelle was joking, trying to lighten the tone of this thread a little??

I really do think Michelle was joking, trying to lighten the tone of this thread a little??

I'm sure Michelle will answer for herself but it doesn't read like that to me and it is how people read and perceive things that can matter if the intent is not clear.  To me it read as "catty".

I wasn't aware that this thread is "heavy"; I was under the impression that people were discussing their experiences and asking for advice.

I initially read as straight and was going to say that it was the same reason I wouldn't want to do that walk especially when tired after class......I don't want potential muggers upsetting me!!

However on re reading it could be Michelle is joking but it is at the posters expense so better if the joke could have been more neutral as earlier I too had suggested not liking that walk.

I don't like the walk from Highbury Station to the place I stay in after 11pm at night and that is an area I know really well. So now always get the bus to the Townhall there as its a much shorter walk.

It's okay on the main thoroughfares but when you turn off not so safe feeling. It's strange really as in all the years I lived there I was never attacked......only in broad daylight right near the Festival Hall!!!!

• Like 2

Oh dear I seem to have inadvertently said the wrong thing, for that I apologise.

I enjoy reading this thread immensely as I'd love to be doing ballet as an adult, but as such cannot contribute to the conversation above about walking/busing routes as I know nothing about it. I simply came to Michelle's post and laughed, that's all nothing more.

I will restrict myself to merely lurking in future ;-)