Royal Ballet 2013/14 Period 3 Casting

I was surprised to read this as I thought I remembered seeing Year 11 White Lodge students doing pas de deux work.  I checked on the White Lodge website and found the following (the highlighting is mine)

"A five-year course is offered here for students between the ages of 11 and 16, incorporating comprehensive classical ballet training together with an excellent academic provision up to GCSE Level.

...................... At senior levels, classes in repertoire, solos, pas de deux and upper body conditioning for male students are incorporated into the curriculum."

http://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/training/full-time-courses/white-lodge/

You are right Bluebird.

The rudiments of partnering are taught right from the start of year 7.

As the pupils get older pas de deux gets more advanced and certainly when my ds was at White Lodge the young men (they are referred to as men from year 10) were gettin regular sessions of weight training.

It certainly isnt all left to the last couple of years of RBS.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But would they be learning and doing high and complex lifts of the type that you see in the big pdds and, increasingly, in modern choreography? What happens to the boys who are still only 5 foot tall at 15 or 16 or who lose a lot of strength during a late growth spurt? 

Edited by aileen

sorry, I'm still not clear why Watson does not dance the 'classical' roles and that includes the Balanchine ballets

Because Aileeen he doesn't have the technique for them never has done and definitely not now.

Are we waiting for Godot here?  All getting a bit surreal, isn't it?

Edited to say that all is now explained - so I think I'll have some lunch.

This sounds as though you have 'the inside track' on something, Ian, which you are not sharing.

Yet another "hug" for Kevin O'Hare!

It probably should be explained that, at the Ballet Association on Monday, Kevin O'Hare mentioned that, when he told Bennet Gartside that he would be playing Rudolf in Mayerling last season, Ben's response was to ask Kevin if he could give him a hug.

I'm sure I read on this thread that Bennet Gartside is leaving at the end of the season.  Is it true?  It seems a shame - he's been such a reliable dancer and good in stepping in to so many different roles over the last few years.  I hope his last performance (if it is this year) is suitably marked.

Please note that I am not speculating here but I did read somewhere what his reaction would be if he ever got to dance Rudolf, which he now has done (but is still with the Royal Ballet!)

You may not be "speculating" but you are stoking the fire of a baseless and unfounded rumour.

To put this to bed, Bennett confirmed to me last night that he has no plans to leave the RB at the end of this season.

• Like 2

You may not be "speculating" but you are stoking the fire of a baseless and unfounded rumour.

To put this to bed, Bennett confirmed to me last night that he has no plans to leave the RB at the end of this season.

I am very glad that Mr Gartside has confirmed to you that he is not leaving RB at the end of this season and, indeed, to you for sharing this morsel.

Perhaps Mr Gartside should not, however, have said what he said in response to Graham Spicer's questionnaire, however much that might have been in jest:

http://www.gramilano.com/2013/02/bennet-gartside-answers-the-gramilano-questionnaire-dancers-edition/

"What role have you never played but would like to?

The Crown Prince Rudolph in Ken­neth Mac­mil­lan’s May­er­ling. I’d prom­ise to retire after that if it helps, Kevin?? Cheers!

[2 months later on 25 April his dream came true, and he played Rudolph to rap­tur­ous applause. Joyce Di Donato wrote on Twit­ter: #May­er­ling at the @RoyalOperaHouse last night was one of the most sub­lime, yet shat­ter­ing even­ings I’ve ever spent in the theater.]"

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...