Royal Ballet 2013/14 Period 3 Casting

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no, don't tell me I've missed Lauren's Aurora!  Curses :(  I just assumed they'd put her with Golding again if necessary :(

Oh well, I may have a spare Kobayashi/Bonelli ticket going ...

Edit: Cuthbertson did her second (and now apparently last) Aurora last night.  Was it really not possible to have announced this earlier so that people could have got hold of any spare tickets for last night?

With no disrespect to Hikaru Kobayashi would it not been possible for Lauren Cuthbertson to have danced with Federico Bonelli (they work well together and have danced Beauty together before) if Matthew Golding was not available, unless Cuthbertson is herself unwell or concentrating on the new Wheeldon. It also seemed odd that Pennefather was scheduled to dance additional performances when he was himself injured...

That's a bit weird. Perhaps Cuthbertson is injured as well? Agree with James that is is odd that Pennefather would be replacing Kish when both are injured.

But then don't they have their mid season break soon? Maybe there just isn't time to rehearse with someone else if they are all on holiday.

Edited by chrischris

It just seems so strange, unless Pennefather had just become uninjured and then got injured again yesterday. Is Golding off doing something else? After all, basically all the two dancers really have to rehearse together is the GPDD, isn't it?

How long's the holiday? I think it's usually a week, but to judge by the performance schedule it could be a week and a half.

10 days, and they've earned it. 11 cast substitutions last night.

:(

Hoping as many of them as possible are fully restored by the time they get back. Chrischris is right: the injury rate does seem to have been pretty bad this season.

When I hear of injuries, see that dancers are being replaced before their shows, or spot the substitution slips, I am often disappointed but always wonder how it feels for those concerned. Thinking now of Rupert Pennefather, it must be so disheartening, at what could be the peak of his dancing life, to be forced onto the sidelines by one injury after another. Then there are others, such as Fumi Kaneko and Claire Calvert, whose careers are taking off wonderfully when, suddenly, they are forced to be 'off' and concentrating on recovery for months on end. And what of all the current Sleeping Beauty fairies who are given their chance to shine but do not make it to the stage because of injury or illness on 'their' day? It must be heartbreaking for them.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 4

It must be heartbreaking for them.

The legion of 'what might have been' in the arts is vast and I suspect always has been.  It litters hearts internationally and respects no one individual border.  That is, I believe, what fate chooses to christen as 'history'.  Fate it would appear is not a democratic institution.  That said and without a shadow of a doubt it can be 'heartbreaking' not only for the proverbial 'them' but - most emphatically - for us all.  There is so much we will never know.  We must cherish that which we can knowing it too might all too easily slip away from our time's grasp.  The potential buried in that knowing - at least for me - is what makes any present we can snatch special.  

Edited by Meunier
  • Like 1

When I hear of injuries, see that dancers are being replaced before their shows, or spot the substitution slips, I am often disappointed but always wonder how it feels for those concerned. Thinking now of Rupert Pennefather, it must be so disheartening, at what could be the peak of his dancing life, to be forced onto the sidelines by one injury after another. Then there are others, such as Fumi Kaneko and Claire Calvert, whose careers are taking off wonderfully when, suddenly, they are forced to be 'off' and concentrating on recovery for months on end. And what of all the current Sleeping Beauty fairies who are given their chance to shine but do not make it to the stage because of injury or illness on 'their' day? It must be heartbreaking for them.

Yeah it must be tough. I  guess when you hit your thirties and your body starts breaking down you must start thinking about chucking it in and doing something easier.

Yeah I meant just generally. Pennefather, Kish, Crawford, Cojocaru, Bonelli- they have all struggled with injury in the last few years and are all, I believe, in their early to mid thirties.

Pennefather has only been out for a few weeks and missed a couple of Giselle's and a few Beauty's, which is probably not a huge deal for him in the grand scheme of things, as he's done these roles before. I think Kish is the bigger disappointment as, even though he's been with the RB for 4 years, he hasn't really established himself yet, in my opinion, and he's missed some huge roles this season. Am I right in thinking that the only full length Macmillan he's done since arriving is one run of Manon?

Wasn't Bussell also chronically injury prone? Maybe it's a British thing. Our bodies aren't cut out for anything strenuous....... ;)

I had been thinking of Darcey Bussell today as her programme is on BBC2 tonight, and I believe I booked to see her Aurora on at least 3 occasions and she was injured every time, never did see it, but I don't remember her as always being injured to the same degree as today's dancers.

• Like 1

Some dancers are plagued by injury and some are fortunate in sustaining very few injuries in their dancing careers. I suspect that many injuries flair up again as the body does not truly heal and, of course, one's body does not recover as well as one ages (even in one's 30s). It is very unfortunate for a dancer to sustain a lot of injuries early in his/her career as his/her career may never get off the ground at all. There are certainly a couple of young dancers at the RB (I'm not going to name them) who have appeared on stage very little since they joined the company a few years ago owing to illness and injury. I do wonder whether more could be done to prevent or minimise injury, but ballet is always going to be a very strenuous occupation which requires peak fitness to perform.

I see that Pennefather is also due to dance with Marquez later in the SB run. I wonder what will happen if he is not fit for that either. McRae would seem an obvious replacement but he may be busy doing other things.