Royal Ballet 2013/14 Period 3 Casting

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Zenaida is 1.75 metres in height. Bussell was 1.70 metres

I'm pretty sure Golding is taller than 1.75 but of course it's the being up on pointe thing.

Can't find Guillems Height except that when she's on pointe she's the same height as Luke Jennings.....sorry not that much help.

I guess Guillem is 1.75-1.80 tall!

Some years ago the RB imported Kenneth Greve to partner Zenaida in Manon.  He's a good 6' 4" so matched her well heightwise but not (IMHO) dramatically.  And Guillem's regular French partner was Hilaire Laurent who is only of average height but they still looked good together.

I think it's not so much physical similarity as musical and emotional empathy that matters.  Of the pairings I saw, Bussell and Cope were perfectly matched in many respects but not such a sparkling partnership as Rojo and Cope.  I'm sure there are many other examples ballet.co-ers can recall.

I think it's not so much physical similarity as musical and emotional empathy that matters.  Of the pairings I saw, Bussell and Cope were perfectly matched in many respects but not such a sparkling partnership as Rojo and Cope.  I'm sure there are many other examples ballet.co-ers can recall.

Yes, Guillem and Cope.

On reflection does Lopatkina do Giselle? I'm sure she does and has to portray a rather innocent young girl in this role!

Has Zenaida ever performed Giselle too?

I have seen Lopatkina dance Giselle on a video and she is marvelous even in this role. Her partner was Igor Kolb.

• Like 1

Lopatkina is the same height as Zenaida at 1.75 metres : 5ft 8.9 inches(virtually 5ft 9)

I'm pretty sure Guillem is in between Darcey and Zenaida .

Anyway enough on height!! But it must be harder for the smaller males to lift taller dancers anyway so there must be some physical practicality involved when matching dancers as partners. Trying to find a complete match on the emotional/artistic levels etc must be quite difficult in fact which is why it is such a joy when such an all round partnership emerges!

But it must be harder for the smaller males to lift taller dancers anyway so there must be some physical practicality involved when matching dancers as partners. Trying to find a complete match on the emotional/artistic levels etc must be quite difficult in fact which is why it is such a joy when such an all round partnership emerges!

When you consider that muscle is so much denser (and therefore heavier) than fat and most dancers are practically ALL muscle, I'm amazed that some of the lifts are even achievable, let alone how effortless they look when you see a couple who are perfectly matched.

Anne is, of course, quite right that Guillem and Cope were wonderful together - both very tall and muscular yet they seemed to fly across the stage, especially in that spectacular last pdd in Manon.  Nice to see that BBC are using a very brief clip of that in the trailer for tomorrow's programme on Guillem.  It will be interesting to see if her partners are mentioned but could she have had such a successful career without them?

Edited by loveclassics
  • Like 1

Zen will be dancing in 'Elizabeth', a new work by Will Tuckett, at Greenwich on 27 Nov, in aid of ROH Foundation. Tickets are £1500 for those receiving invitations!!!

I loved her interpretation of Tuckett's work at the Whitechapel Gallery about two years ago.

Zen will be dancing in 'Elizabeth', a new work by Will Tuckett, at Greenwich on 27 Nov, in aid of ROH Foundation. Tickets are £1500 for those receiving invitations!!!

I loved her interpretation of Tuckett's work at the Whitechapel Gallery about two years ago.

I received an invitation but won't be going! Clashes with my livery dinner...

• 1 month later...

I thought everyone may be interested in this. I contacted Covent Garden the other day to ask, given Friends booking opens next week, when casting for A Winter's Tale would be announced,  I have just received the following reply...

The casting for this ballet is not complete yet and we think it will not be announced before Friends booking opens.

Nicki Spencer

House Manager

I thought everyone may be interested in this. I contacted Covent Garden the other day to ask, given Friends booking opens next week, when casting for A Winter's Tale would be announced,  I have just received the following reply...

The casting for this ballet is not complete yet and we think it will not be announced before Friends booking opens.

Nicki Spencer

House Manager

Of course, it's not unusual for the casting of a new ballet to remain unknown when booking; some we don't find out casting details for until almost the opening night!

Was just about to ask whether anyone knew casting for Winters Tale when saw this discussion already.......as have just had reminder about tomorrow's booking opening.

Well it does mean for me I will at least not have to go through tomorrow's rush for bookings!! I think I will wait a bit now and go for one of the final performances down the line if casting is still not announced....on the premise that they will have settled more into the new ballet in the last performances at least!!

• 2 months later...

I don't know if this has been mentioned but Rupert Pennefather is now due to dance 5 times in Sleeping Beauty, 3 with Lauren Cuthbertson and 2 with Roberta Marquez, replacing Nehemiah Kish.

Good to see Vadim Muntagirov's name is now showing against the 25th March, about time.

• Like 1

Perhaps Vadim Muntagirov should have replaced Nehemiah Kish as he only has one Sleeping Beauty.

I suspect he has 2: there's a schools' matinee or something scheduled, and I think Takada is the only one with seemingly only one performance.