Jump to content
Anna C

Questions about Upper School auditions

Recommended Posts

Hi,

My dd is in a bit of indecision about what to do next year as she really wants to carry on with A-levels and dance.  We didn't get in to Elmhurst, waiting to hear from Tring.  She is now saying she's not sure she wants to audition at Central or Rambert as they don't offer any academics.  Does anyone have any experience of doing academic study at either of these schools and how to go about it?  I don't feel very positive about her Tring audition and I'm really trying to keep as many doors open for her as possible for as long as possible.  Any thoughts would be welcome.  Thanks, xx

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, valentina said:

Don’t have experience of upper schools/ academics that you need, but London Russian  Ballet School do both.

Thanks for that, I've never even heard of Russian Ballet School!  I'll have a look x o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for replies, Bedes and Moorland are very far away, and probably too expensive (we get means tested out of any scholarships, but still can't afford them!).  I don't think she would be interested in YDA, she has had some interactions with girls that have gone there and so I don't think she would be comfortable.  I'm probably getting on for leaving it too late to apply to other places now anyway, maybe if we don't get Tring it's just the universe telling her to take another path for now! x o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kings International Ballet Academy offers fantastic vocational training for students aged 16 plus, and also offer a levels and a teaching qualification. Their next audition is on the 17th February. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kiba123, multiple posts on the same subject - in this case, promoting your school - are not permitted, therefore I have hidden two of your posts.

 

Anna C on behalf of Balletcoforum Moderators

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there, 

 

Does anyone have any experience of Upper School offers being made with deadlines for acceptance due before other audition results are through?  If so, how did you deal with it? 

 

Any insights would be appreciated. 

 

Many thanks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. The year my DD auditioned we had to accept Tring and Central before having other results. 

We forfeited a deposit at Central in the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Loulabelle said:

Yes. The year my DD auditioned we had to accept Tring and Central before having other results. 

We forfeited a deposit at Central in the end.

Thanks Loulabelle - I was hoping someone may have experience of asking them to wait and them

saying “yes” but think I’m being far too optimistic 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice problem to have on the one hand.... multiple offers! But again the issue whereby those on limited income dare not risk losing big deposits & might feel awful pressure to accept/turn down in advance of all outcomes being known.... it plays into the hands of schools too in that those offering early in with acceptance deadline dates may just get first pickings....

I think all the schools should put their heads together & create an honour system whereby they all have similar dates/deadlines then a clearing system perhaps so people can choose based on best fit & informed decisions rather than maybe rushing & choosing based on finance.... more like Uni entry? I appreciate the schools/colleges are in many cases businesses too with cash flow projections etc but theses choices are so so massive & impactful on young people & families & really do shape futures.... 

Maybe this could be something addressed by government body that overseas DaDa’s for at least those schools ‘regulated’ under this funding scheme?

 

Good luck to all...already feeling anxious for next year....😧

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Tutusrus said:

Thanks Loulabelle - I was hoping someone may have experience of asking them to wait and them

saying “yes” but think I’m being far too optimistic 🤣

 

My Dd was offered a place at Central prior to finals of Elmhurst, RBS and ENBS. We accepted her place, explained the situation and didn’t pay the deposit. It is worth asking. Good luck with the auditions xx

Edited by cotes du rhone !
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the issue arises when you are applying to a mix of privately funded, Dada funded and student loan courses. Dada funded courses are not allowed to make offers of funding before a set date.  I can't remember the exact date off the top of my head but think its the 31st March.

 

Dd had an offer of a place with a scholarship from what was essentially a private school.  The offer was made in January and we had 14 days to reply.  At this point she had an offer with a Dada recall elsewhere but hadn't even done her other auditions at that point.  We just had to turn that first place down and it all worked out OK as she was then offered another place with a scholarship and one with a Dada.

 

At one college she was offered a college scholarship on the spot as long as we paid a deposit and a Dada recall (they said the deposit would be refunded if she got a Dada there. )  Or she could not pay the deposit and just attend the Dada recall.  Thats what she decided to do in the end but was offered a Dada by her first choice elsewhere.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you do end up paying a deposit to hold a DaDa funded place and then decide not to take up the place, they are obliged to refund you. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think of not DaDa or MDS they can set own terms so read small print as expect some reserve right to keep deposits if place later declined.... I hear this is common place in the private school sector & that often parents will lay drposits for 2 or 3 schools in full knowledge that they will forfeit 2 of them but want to be in apposition  to choose...I think it is a common long established method of making money by these schools!!! I think the deposits are often lodged before common entrance exam even sat!!! Bonkers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

I think of not DaDa or MDS they can set own terms so read small print as expect some reserve right to keep deposits if place later declined.... I hear this is common place in the private school sector & that often parents will lay drposits for 2 or 3 schools in full knowledge that they will forfeit 2 of them but want to be in apposition  to choose...I think it is a common long established method of making money by these schools!!! I think the deposits are often lodged before common entrance exam even sat!!! Bonkers 

Certainly if it is a DaDa, under the terms of the scheme they are obliged to give a refund (technically I don't think they are supposed to even ask for one). In fact we received a refund of a deposit ourselves after paying to reserve a place for our dd, and then subsequently turning it down as she accepted a place elsewhere. We did have to ask for it though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In order to keep this thread for general questions and answers about Upper Schools, I have moved several posts specific to this year’s audition results here:  http://www.balletcoforum.com/topic/19420-good-luckaudition-results-2019/

 

Please discuss 2019 auditions and results in the above thread.

 

Many thanks,

 

Anna C on behalf of Balletcoforum Moderators

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...