Questions about Upper School auditions

Anna C

I know its expensive but its a good idea to go for at least a couple of auditions over and above your preferred places especially it means getting audition experience earlier.

And sometimes it really pays to make up ones own mind about places rather than be influenced by others good or bad opinions.

• Like 2

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the advice. Yes, we have looked at Central, it looks like a lovely school, but the majority of graduates in recent years seem to be getting jobs in modern dance rather than classical, so that is why we weren't thinking of auditioning there.

Whilst it is a good idea to look at graduate destinations for schools this information alone may not give a true picture. For example Pastel's coment above implies that Central graduates are better suited to contemporary companies rather than classical ones but please remember this is almost always an individual's favoured choice rather than a second-best choice because they are unable to gain a classical contract. The classical training at Central is just as strong as other places otherwise dancers would not be gaining any classical contracts. Also there is one graduate from a couple of years ago who never appeared on the graduate lists because they did not gain a company contract but has been working continuously and very successfully as a freelance choreographer since leaving Central.

• Like 3

thanks Spooky. It is so hard looking at schools from the other side of the world. Local knowledge is a wonderful thing!

I just visited the Rambert website and it looks like an amazing school with lots of performance opportunities for their students.

• Like 2

Whilst it is a good idea to look at graduate destinations for schools this information alone may not give a true picture. For example Pastel's coment above implies that Central graduates are better suited to contemporary companies rather than classical ones but please remember this is almost always an individual's favoured choice rather than a second-best choice because they are unable to gain a classical contract. The classical training at Central is just as strong as other places otherwise dancers would not be gaining any classical contracts. Also there is one graduate from a couple of years ago who never appeared on the graduate lists because they did not gain a company contract but has been working continuously and very successfully as a freelance choreographer since leaving Central.

Just to mention that Max Maslen, in his second year at BRB, has just had success as Bluebird in Sleeping Beauty (no mean feat).

• Like 1

Dramascientist - last year the Legat preliminary auditions were held in Dec & Jan & then the scholarship auditions in late Feb. You need to contact Elizabeth Mackey, the administrator of Legatl and she can advise you. Prospective students also have to have an interview with either the Head or a senior member of Bedes as well, but this can all be arranged on the same day.

All correspondence from Bedes came via post, but correspondence from Legat itself was via email and phone. Do ring Elizabeth Mackey when half term is over and I'm sure she can discuss available dates with you. When my dd auditioned we had the choice of 2 dates., but whether they auditioned students with exceptional circumstances outside of these dates I do not know. There is also a physio assessment as well by the way.

Of course they won't mind you telephoning them. I'm sure they will understand if you explain the situation and that you are overseas & just need to know what dates there are. As I said in my previous post though, just bear in mind that if your dd wants to be considered for a scholarship, then it will entail two visits as successful students applying for a scholarship are then invited back for a second audition.

Thanks everybody for your support, it's such a relief to have people to ask advice from and everybody is so kind. Itsherlife yes we understand the need for a second visit if DD is lucky enough to be asked back and thats why we want to minimise the trips as much as possible in the first place. Porthesia what a kind offer, goodness it restores ones faith in humanity!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We haven't heard from ENB either - the others were all pretty quick. Just hope that they all ENJOY the experience no matter what the outcome... I have reminded DD that, should she fail to get a place, there is always next year and she can have a look at places she hasn't thought of trying this year...

F

• Like 5

Hello Frangapani-that is interesting that you say if your daughter doesn't secure a place this year she will try again next year-I wasn't aware that you could do this!

So how many girls reaudition for second year places? I guess the number of places are few in 6:2. Do sixth form ballet schools assess students out?

If you audition again the following year it may not necessarily be for 6.2 you may be offered a 6.1 place.

When we auditioned for Royal upper school a few years back they said at the audition they welcomed applications for the following yyear if you were unsuccessful this year

• Like 2

Maybe it depends on the school as when I asked ENBS about how flexible they were with entry age I was told that they prefer girls to be 16 years turning 17 in their first year. Though I imagine like any school if they are really keen to have you they will make exceptions! Would be lovely to be in that position  :)

Edited by Lucinda

The only students at ENBS that are older than the year group, are the students who have been asked to repeat a year due to injury etc.  RBS and ENBS will take students a year younger than the rest of their year group, but I have never heard of a student who is older, being offered a place for a lower year.  I hope this helps and also makes sense  :)

• Like 1

My DD also had the view that she would audition the following year if unsuccessful, either at schools she had been offered a place at but no funding or at schools she had not tried first time around. I certainly know of students at various schools who had no funding the first year they tried and went after gaining DADAs the following year. For ENBS my DD and I were told at a pre-audition day that it would be better for my DD to audition the following year as she has a summer birthday. They stated that ideally they liked their students to be 17 by the end of their first term, nothing to do with the dancing but more about living in London at such a young age.

• Like 3