Questions about Upper School auditions

Anna C

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really feel for all of you ... this time last year it was our turn and reading through all your posts makes memories come flooding back. Do try and enjoy the actual audition days though, because as stressful as they are, in a way I wish I was doing it all over again! The waiting for the postman and opening those letters is by far the worst part. Good luck everyone.

• Like 5

As this post is about auditions I feel I must let u know that London Russian Ballet School which is in Clapham Is worth auditioning for. My two DD have been there for almost three yrs and have improved immensely, my eldest only did ballet twice a week before she went there, she has now reached a high standard from the excellent teaching. The school has sent me the following information so you have all the details.

The school is developing the building and will have some of the best studio space in London by the summer. The teachers are either from the Mariinsky or the Bolshoi and had distinguished theatre careers. How many English boys will be taught by a student of Pushkin who taught Baryshnikov, Nureyev and Soloviev. This is the strength of the Russian system, a further example is that the artistic director was a student of Ulanova. This is not available in English schools. Yes, the school is young but the growing intake will be producing results in the next two years. The website is being updated and will have a video of recent performances which will reflect the technical strength and make it easier for others to see what is being done. The school has a very open policy. Anyone is welcome for a class or to look round. This is not the case elsewhere. There is nothing to hide. For example, before considering an audition a student could come for classes informally and make up their own mind.

The school believes that it is trying to create artists. It is very interested in potential. It insists on academic studies and full A level study alongside the ballet. No other school offers such a broad range of choice. The standard of academic teaching is as high as the ballet. It has an association with St Paul's Boys School, which is one of the top three schools in the country. The school is very proud to offer its students this opportunity. It is the view of the school that it is not possible to be an artist without a rounded education. This involves hard work but is possible. The students will always have something to fall back on as well. If they get a degree it will be a real one rather than the that given in some other institutions. There is a mentor for UCAS and an academic adviser.The students are encouraged to aim high, one is considering London University and continuing his ballet performance at the same time.

There have been some criticisms on the blog but the school was younger then and many people took advantage of the free classes and other generous facilities. There are fees on the website but the school is very independent. Opportunities are made available for all students. So do not be afraid to audition. If the school thinks a student has talent the school will help with the fees, in full if necessary.

• Like 3

At the moment the students that are full time are still completing their A Levels so they won't be auditioning yet. They are the first 6th formers the school has had.LRBS also has two students who were at Bolshoi academy and they are doing a years training before they audition.

• Like 1

It sounds excellent and definately worth a look at by aspiring young students.

However I would caution against sweeping statements such as "no other school offers"...

For starters both Tring and Legat offer a good range of A levels and they are not necessarily the only ones.

As for pedigree of teachers all of the vocational schools can boast similar ilumni of all nationalities. The Russians are rightly held in high regard which is why their methods are also found in other vocational school alongside the rich traditions of other styles (eg French, Danish etc)

I am also perturbed by the statement concerning "a proper degree" as this sounds very dismissive of the genuine qualifications that many young dance students work very hard to attain at places such as Central. If such degrees were not "proper" ones then these places would not be getting the requisite accreditation by the Council for Dance Education and Training needed to operate.

I wish The London Russian Ballet School every success, it already has a reputation for high standards. And it is these high standards that need to be shouted from the roof tops not claims that may not necessarily be strictly accurate as far as other places are concerned. For example Ive known other places allow a walk around and viewing before deciding whether to audition or not!

In my experience all the vocational schools are far more "open" and accessible than even a few years ago but obviously within reason as they have to run a normal timetable for their existing students which is why open days exist!

Edited by hfbrew
  • Like 7

I go to some of their adult classes there of which there are many in the week both in daytime and in the evening so make it easy to suit your lifestyle.

They do seem tobe very generous towards pupils in the vocational part of the school they see as having talent but am not sure how they are actually funded themselves or whether they are just lucky to have some wealthy donars!

There are links with Russia but how many pupils would end up with the opportunity to do some studying there eventually am not sure.

The school certainly has good links with the local community in their outreach programme which I think for an at present fairly small concern is a very good achievement on their part.

Although they do offer A levels I don't know much about the quality of teaching and variety of subjects offered.....probably more linked to Dance and the Arts as one might expect but I imagine that certainly at present the classes are small which is a nice advantage and may enable pupils to do better.

But I do agree this school is worth a look at for people considering sixth form I'd be very happy for my child(if I had one) to attend there from what I have seen......but that's not to say that other places like Central are not excellent as well.

Central offers full BA Hounours degree which is recognised by the university of Kent. It has being running successfully for many many years, and their students have graduated into top ballet companies over the years infact year after year. As have the other top schools. Russian ballet school seems to be new and still has a very long way to go. Good luck to the school but as was said, as yet there are no graduates.

• Like 4

My DS very nearly went to London Russian Ballet for sixth form, in the end it was a "go with your instinct" decision that he so wanted to go to RCS.

The 'A' levels are taught by tutors bought in by the school.  Harriet is very insistent that they take high quality courses so subjects like history, classics, mathematics are encouraged.  She also actively encourages all students to take languages to A level.  They also try to help with finding accommodation for non local students.

• Like 1

Hfbrew I'm sure other schools are offering qualifications but London Russian just wanted to let students know what they are offering especially as more students will get the dreaded no letter back from auditions than a yes as we know there isn't enough spaces for the amount of students that would like full time places. Lets face it all schools will say they are the best. My daughter is doing Russian and French A levels and other students are doing academic A Levels some of them are doing 3 A levels. My daughter wouldn't cope with doing 3 along with all the ballet but she is getting very good tuition and very small classes at the moment. Also I don't think many other schools would let u participate in class to see if you like the school and I do understand that would be impossible in a large establishment but many of their students have started there simply because they have been given a chance.

Hfbrew I'm sure other schools are offering qualifications but London Russian just wanted to let students know what they are offering especially as more students will get the dreaded no letter back from auditions than a yes as we know there isn't enough spaces for the amount of students that would like full time places. Lets face it all schools will say they are the best. My daughter is doing Russian and French A levels and other students are doing academic A Levels some of them are doing 3 A levels. My daughter wouldn't cope with doing 3 along with all the ballet but she is getting very good tuition and very small classes at the moment. Also I don't think many other schools would let u participate in class to see if you like the school and I do understand that would be impossible in a large establishment but many of their students have started there simply because they have been given a chance.

Your daughter sounds very happy and I do think you are right to tell prospective students about the London Russian Ballet School as many wont have considered it and its certainly worth a look,especially for more academic minded students.

Do continue to extol this schools merits!

However as I said in my earlier post I caution against implying that its the " only" place that offers such facilities as A levels or trial sessions. Of course each school is unique but I have found that schools often recognise that they are not necessarily the best as such because different students suit different places.

For the record my ds studied 4 A levels alongside his dance diploma and he was not the only one by a long way. And Im not just talking about one establishment here. And as a teacher Ive known places giving trial runs (other than summer school) too!

So at a risk of repeating myself, yes London Russian School sounds great and Ive alresdy heard about how great the teaching is but please dont assume that there are no other vocstional schools are not offering similar facilities!

Edited cos I didnt have glasses on the first time...

Edited by hfbrew
  • Like 6

Double Trouble no I wasn't there on Tuesday!! I don't live in London so just try to fit in a class when I am up there.

Just at the moment there are some building/renovations going on so classes are being combined.....I usually go in the day time to the 11.30 beginners plus class in the smaller studio........Though this class is verging towards Intermediate level....At the same time there is a more advanced class in the larger studio.....which some of the vocational students attend.

I '"ll probably wait till the classes are more back to normal. They just emailed me to say that the class next Tuesday morning.......which I was thinking of attending is being combined with the advanced class.....so probably won't go this time!!

Although the barre there is quite arduous I always feel Ive really worked hard and am fully warm by the centre work which I like. It's definitely a place to work!!

Meadowblythe I'm not sure who RCS is so wasn't sure which school you were talking about but recognise the name Harriet so hope those subjects were being offered at London Russian encouraging non arts subjects is a good idea. I would have been a very happy bunny learning French and Russian!!! But I was also good at Biology so it's good that as many subjects can be offered for A level as a normal school......though I know this is difficult for a smaller concern.

I think it is early days for this school its true but I really hope they start to do well with their graduates. It takes a bit of courage to be a bit of a pioneer and go with a newish concern but I can understand some parents who at this point in time would want a more tried and tested place like Central and other vocationals.

Double Trouble are they building some additional studios there then? Ive only seen the two which Ive felt would not be enough as the number of students has been increasing.

Not sure if they will be able to compete with the Royal Ballet for studios though!!!

I have found the set up there very friendly and encouraging so Ive started to feel a part of the place inspite of only getting to a class there about once sometimes twice a month!!

Hfbrew your Ds has done very well and I'm sure that all schools can boast excellent results in academics and dance, I was posting what LRBS asked me to so that others would have a choice as before this forum I wasn't aware of the school. The Director of the sch is keen to promote what they are offering and I'm sure all the dance schools will say they offer the best, most people on this forum are aware of what each sch offers. Anyway you must be very proud of your Ds. Tulip I will certainly post about future graduates and I do understand that most people look at that info in a school as I have looked myself. Linn as far as I know LRBS are In the first stage of making the premises bigger, the front studio has been extended and downstairs is having lots of work done which I believe will be the studios for the younger students. I know eventually it will be much bigger as they are extending out. They are still having classes but not as many.

• Like 1

Does anyone know anyone who has been successful in gaining an Upper School place (anywhere) having only achieved Intermediate level (excluding those already in a Lower School as exams not a priority there).  By the end of the summer my daughter will hopefully have passed Intermediate but is that a high enough level to make an application?  (not withstanding all the other criteria such as body shape,  'facility' etc which of course be taken into account). 

Yes - My DS who is now at Central and in his 3rd Year and had a non vocational background.

He was applying to Upper School for entry in September 2011 and when applying from Autumn 2010 he strictly speaking only had RAD grade 6 which he had taken in June 2010.

He took his RAD Intermediate November 2010 and his RAD grade 7 in March 2011.

Does anyone know anyone who has been successful in gaining an Upper School place (anywhere) having only achieved Intermediate level (excluding those already in a Lower School as exams not a priority there).  By the end of the summer my daughter will hopefully have passed Intermediate but is that a high enough level to make an application?  (not withstanding all the other criteria such as body shape,  'facility' etc which of course be taken into account). 

Hello Wish22, when is your daughter hoping to audition? is she wanting to go to an Upper School starting Sept 2014?

Hi Rizzo

No, not this September. She will be making the applications this autumn for a 2015 entry.  She'll be 17 then but we felt that she needed that extra year to perfect her ballet before auditions and also gain some experience of some contemporary and jazz at a Summer School this year. 

Hello all - well the (much dreaded) letter from Royal Ballet has landed (Birmingham auditions).....

Am sitting looking at an envelope clearly containing a single sheet of paper - that will be a no then!!!! (2nd this week as got a no from Elmhurst on Monday..)

SO tough this process isn't it? Just relieved she has at least got a place at Northern!!!

Good luck all with opening the post..

F xxx

• Like 3