Questions about Upper School auditions

Anna C

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Princess dreams said:

Hi, no but waiting for 2 other schools on reserve lists, so feel your anxiety, hope things move soon, good luck x

You too, Princess dreams. It's certainly an anxious time. And in the midst of it all, DD is thinking about giving it all up. X

Hang in there.... I suspect with this lockdown & lack of usual physical activity & peer & teacher engagement (what online provision they can/do access is great but in no way a like for like substitute...) by our DC’s there will be lots of mood swings/self criticism/motivation loss/negativity/self doubt (bit rnough about me....!!!!🤣)

Seriously though, they are in the middle of what year on year is an expected tough time for this year group but with the added intensity of ‘all change’; the oppression of just being home with the same people for company (who mean well bit let’s fsce it teen/parent relationships again are traditionally challenging!) & too much spent in just their own company with their own thoughts....

I think (hope) schools/colleges are anticipative of this & the added future needs for support our young people will need as they progress in their chosen training routes....

And also that they are truly aware of the anxiety where options are still not all firmed up & can swiftly move to make offers where they can so that families can have something to work with.

💜💜to all 

• Like 1

Thank you, as always for your motivational messages x. Daily motivational talks in our household as I’m sure in everyone’s, trying to keep all , everyone on track. Hope everyone is keeping as well as can be and hope our DC stay happy and receive the places they so desperately are striving for, Good luck everyone xx

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 18/06/2020 at 11:23, Princess dreams said:

Has anyone been lucky enough to receive a call from any upper school reserve lists yet? 

I think that Elmhurst contacted all of those who were on their waiting list and Central contacted many (but I don’t know if all). People were also offered places from ENBS waiting list but some are still waiting. 

Thank you x. Yes, my DD was offered Central from the waiting list, but handed it back as it was not the right school for her. Still waiting on her favourite, but no call as of yet. Not expecting it now as it seems too far down the road after offers, there’s always next year ... x

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Does anybody have insight into Upper School final audition phases, and which schools might ask for actual medical records, dates of injuries etc?  My DD is concerned a recent injury, although not serious, may affect any acceptances next year due to how recent it is.

I think most schools ask you to declare any injuries and the dates that they occurred, on their application forms from what I can remember. I even remember summer schools that my dd did asked for them too. I know that Northern Ballet School in Manchester ask for a medical form to be completed by your G.P. and sent with your application form. I’m not sure how they affect their acceptances / offers though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MPatti said:

Does anybody have insight into Upper School final audition phases, and which schools might ask for actual medical records, dates of injuries etc?  My DD is concerned a recent injury, although not serious, may affect any acceptances next year due to how recent it is.

Most of the schools ask you to have a ‘physio’ type check as part of the process. I know lots who have been accepted into schools after having quite serious injuries.  She just needs to apply and declare it and see what happens. If she’s fully recovered it’s unlikely to affect anything. 

• Like 1

This is a good time to research the schools policies on injuries, Students being allowed to access medical facilities and support given to student when injured. You may be surprised at what you hear, if you ask the current students about their experiences. Hopefully most schools are reviewing their policies in light of recent events, I’d be honest with the school. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, TBG said:

My dd has found a new audition leo for upper school auditions. Can anyone let me know if the Grishco 1930 leo is suitable please, i am not sure it is. Many thanks x

Hi TBG I would say absolutely! It’s a classic camisole, flattering, elegant cut. I think most important that they wear a leotard that they feel very comfortable and confident in! 

Sorry, I disagree, the deep V insert at the front to make it look like a plunge neckline might look great on stage as part of a costume, but is not suitable for a ballet audition. On RBS website in the audition information they have a guide to leotards, no lace insets, crisscross straps etc. Good advice wherever you plan to audition.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Pas de Quatre said:

Sorry, I disagree, the deep V insert at the front to make it look like a plunge neckline might look great on stage as part of a costume, but is not suitable for a ballet audition. On RBS website in the audition information they have a guide to leotards, no lace insets, crisscross straps etc. Good advice wherever you plan to audition.

I agree. Plain simple elegant silhouette is the best option. My daughter chose a simple thin strap cotton Leo in deep maroon/burgundy. No particular brand. The Leo had a small  gather in the front with a similar gather in the low back, which wasn’t too low in case numbers had to be fixed. The fit was perfect. Finished off with a contrasting black belt. No knickers either. No lumps or bumps. Keep it simple. It worked. 
Quite surprised (& shocked) at some of the choices 😉
Ps unless it stipulates black, try another colour choice but still keep colour choice subtle for ballet.  

Good Luck to everyone. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Aklf said:

New year, new lockdown. As if upper school audition planning wasn’t tricky enough! 😩

I truly feel for you 😢

But my heart goes out to all those I have shared this forum with over the years who’s Ds/Dds have graduated either last year or this with little hope of employment 😖 Who could have foreseen that this is how their dreams would end 😢

3 minutes ago, cotes du rhone ! said:

I truly feel for you 😢

But my heart goes out to all those I have shared this forum with over the years who’s Ds/Dds have graduated either last year or this with little hope of employment 😖 Who could have foreseen that this is how their dreams would end 😢

Yes, my DD2 is one of them... and now DD3 is in drama school with prospects disappearing too... 😢

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cotes du rhone ! said:

I truly feel for you 😢

My DD should be graduating this year. 
She stayed on her own over the Christmas holidays as she couldn’t return home. So looking forward to seeing her housemates this weekend. Now another lockdown. No idea what she’s going to do. Stick it out and stay put with online lessons or try to return home if she can secure a flight but then has to go into mandatory isolation. Not her 3rd and final year that any of them had hoped or planned for. Let alone thinking ahead to employment. 

On a positive note though, a local friend who graduated last summer, has just secured a 6 month contract in the UAE so there’s still hope 🤞🏼

• 2 weeks later...

Feeling disheartened this morning... I sent a video to the school that I would like to attend and I got a no this morning.  Its just that according to the video platform, they didn't even view my video, they just went by what I put on the form with the payment... not a UK school 

Edited by Oakley

11 minutes ago, Oakley said:

Feeling disheartened this morning... I sent a video to the school that I would like to attend and I got a no this morning.  Its just that according to the video platform, they didn't even view my video, they just went by what I put on the form with the payment... not a UK school 

I’m so sorry to hear your news. Without knowing the details of the school concerned, its rather difficult to comment. Please don’t take it to heart, in fact take it as a positive. They hadn’t seen your video so the decision was made on administrative basis not your ability and skills but could have been based on if the school is in the Eu with the decision purely on Brexit (outside their control) issues concerning potential students from the UK as well as the unknown quantity of Covid for this coming autumn and those from outside the country accessing the school. 
If the school is further afield that latter (Covid) could be the reason. 
Take a deep breath, keep the faith and don’t let this little blip stop you following your dreams. They might just need a tweak. ☺️

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, balletbean said:

I’m so sorry to hear your news. Without knowing the details of the school concerned, its rather difficult to comment. Please don’t take it to heart, in fact take it as a positive. They hadn’t seen your video so the decision was made on administrative basis not your ability and skills but could have been based on if the school is in the Eu with the decision purely on Brexit (outside their control) issues concerning potential students from the UK as well as the unknown quantity of Covid for this coming autumn and those from outside the country accessing the school. 
If the school is further afield that latter (Covid) could be the reason. 
Take a deep breath, keep the faith and don’t let this little blip stop you following your dreams. They might just need a tweak. ☺️

Thanks for that Balletbean, I suppose I feel a bit cheated that they didn't give me a chance.  The school is in the EU and I can try again in another few months but I'm just wondering if there's any point if they won't go further then my application form... I asked if maybe there was something that I filled out incorrectly but I got quite a short reply stating that it was at the discretion of the artistic director.

Just now, Oakley said:

Thanks for that Balletbean, I suppose I feel a bit cheated that they didn't give me a chance.  The school is in the EU and I can try again in another few months but I'm just wondering if there's any point if they won't go further then my application form... I asked if maybe there was something that I filled out incorrectly but I got quite a short reply stating that it was at the discretion of the artistic director.

I can feel your disappointment but maybe can be seen as a blessing. Hard I know but one that you have to take on board. How would you feel if you did secure a place,  paid the fees, arranged travel and accommodation but then couldn’t attend due to Visa or Covid issues? 
Keep the faith and maybe look closer to home, so there’s no gap in your training (as best as we all can) during these unsettling times. There could always be an opportunity to reconsider the EU in another year or two. 🤞🏼

• Like 2

On 14/01/2021 at 10:56, Oakley said:

The school is in the EU and I can try again in another few months

On 14/01/2021 at 11:02, balletbean said:

There could always be an opportunity to reconsider the EU in another year or two

I am sorry you were disappointed in this way,Oakley and I would second Balletbean. If you wait a little and continue with your training in the UK and expand your experience in different ways to strenthen you technique, knowledge and portfolio there will be opportunities to study in the EU later I am sure.

Even boards of institutions will be a little jittery right now with Covid restrictions and the impact of travel, lockdowns, continuity of training and the financial implications on businesses, nevermind arranging student visas for UK students, that extreme caution will probably a driving force.

Patience.

My DD is constantly changing her expectations, her plans and direction to fit in with circumstances. My musical D is now marooned with us at home and can't return to college, even if it reopens, because of the latest flight ban news.  

So keep positive and focused and your day will come.

Presently, some colleagues are looking at designing a new international course specifically to facilitate mobility as well as provide good training. Just wait and keep working towards your goals. 

• 2 weeks later...