Questions about Upper School auditions

Anna C

Agree @Pups_mum. Kids are told 'work hard and you can achieve anything'. Had some very difficult conversations with my DD when she was younger about how this isn't always the case :( As dance parents we have to hope we encourage them into a realistic path while enabling them to retain their love of ballet.

• Like 1

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, sarahw said:

Agree @Pups_mum. Kids are told 'work hard and you can achieve anything'. Had some very difficult conversations with my DD when she was younger about how this isn't always the case :( As dance parents we have to hope we encourage them into a realistic path while enabling them to retain their love of ballet.

Oh yes. To be ‘empowered’ and to breakdown any barriers. As if life will be 100% a battle. And that ‘no one can stop you’ is totally unrealistic. Makes my blood boil. Yes strive to work hard and do your best but realise that in life there will be a No. Sorry you can’t. So making children and not learning how to cope with reality.   Well done sarahw for having that conversation. Couldn’t have been easy.   

Edited by balletbean

17 hours ago, Pups_mum said:

Im not saying give up. But be realistic. Your physique may mean that some things are out of reach but a different path may be equally fulfilling.

This is such good excellent wonderful advice. My cliché is that we all get where we need to go, but maybe not by the route we thought we'd take.

A ballet friend of mine in the USA trained at the Kirov (USA) and then SAB (nearest equivalent in the UK is probably RBS) - both top schools. But as a male dancer he was just too short for mainstream companies. He now owns and runs a serious pre-professional training ballet school in his home county which has just received a real accolade from his city. 

Edited to add: I often have to have the same sorts of conversations with final year undergrads, who think they "have" to achieve a First Class honours degree. I ask them why - they answer because they've tried so hard, and put in such an effort, and they believe they are good enough. These are really difficult conversations to have - I blame the X Factor et al.

Sorry for going a bit off-topic.

And heaps and heaps of good luck, strength, and growth to you, Arucaria!

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Kate_N said:

This is such good excellent wonderful advice. My cliché is that we all get where we need to go, but maybe not by the route we thought we'd take.

A ballet friend of mine in the USA trained at the Kirov (USA) and then SAB (nearest equivalent in the UK is probably RBS) - both top schools. But as a male dancer he was just too short for mainstream companies. He now owns and runs a serious pre-professional training ballet school in his home county which has just received a real accolade from his city. 

Edited to add: I often have to have the same sorts of conversations with final year undergrads, who think they "have" to achieve a First Class honours degree. I ask them why - they answer because they've tried so hard, and put in such an effort, and they believe they are good enough. These are really difficult conversations to have - I blame the X Factor et al.

Sorry for going a bit off-topic.

And heaps and heaps of good luck, strength, and growth to you, Arucaria!

Well said. 

I do think a lot of this comes from schools where they are never allowed to ‘fail’. Oops if I’m even allowed to say that.   Maybe overmarked  to ensure no one is upset on their marks. 

Even sports days everyone has to be a winner. 

Away from the studio :- The next generation are under the impression success is instant (reality tv) and lack the stamina or prepared for the long haul. Not realising that success only comes to a few but then maybe after many years of the long hard slog. Majority never actually being  ‘successful’ (headline news) but quietly and efficiently earning a modest income and enjoying life with friends and family.  Not empowering’ anyone, not ‘inspiring’ anyone and not ‘breaking any glass ceilings’. Or any other cliches out there. 

We have to prepare our children that when they do graduate from vocational school they must understand that very few reach the level of a soloist with the vast majority still enjoying a (continuous employment) career in Ballet/Performing Arts. Which is a success in itself.  🤩

Oops. Rambling on a bit. Hopefully making some sense but I think many will understand. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, balletbean said:

but quietly and efficiently earning a modest income and enjoying life with friends and family.  Not empowering’ anyone, not ‘inspiring’ anyone and not ‘breaking any glass ceilings’

That's being very successful, in my eyes!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kate_N said:

That's being very successful, in my eyes!

I totally agree. Permanent employment to me is highly successful. Especially within the Arts.  Sadly the media/reviews/critiques and eventually jo public only see success as those whose names are in floodlights or headline posters. As in ‘made it big’. Not realising that without the ensemble/corps de ballet etc there would be no soloists as there would be no performance. 🤩

Edited by balletbean

I do think much of the touchy feely ‘you are all winners’ starts back in early years....to a point it’s a good strategy in pre-school years when you get different children in different sessions so inconsistencies in the amount of ‘schooling’ they get a chance to experience - then a positive twist is perhaps a very useful thing. However, it is somewhat insidious when it follows on in primary years... call me a cynic, but I suspect it has much to do with box ticking & test results & Parent opinions which are then used to judge the school (ofsted/word of mouth etc) If you are told your kids are doing just great, one will probably be more inclined to think the school is just great..... lots of teachers in all areas (dance will be included I am sure)do perpetuate the positive spin.... my turn to be controversial here now (& I am sure this is a very tiny minority).... Do some allow the cold hard facts to be a little rose tinted in order to keep income streams healthy? Just a thought...

would like to add have not ever experienced this first hand though have wondered at the amount of money & emotion some seem to invest which is fine if the here & now is a happy place but not so good if unexpected  rejection & the unprepared for no destroys young minds & hearts (not to mention the house extensions & family holidays that may otherwise have been afforded & enjoyed😲)

Mods.... please alter if this is too off topic 👍🏻

Edited by Peanut68
Typos

Peanut68, what a perfect way to describe it. I have also witnessed dance teachers who most definitely did indeed refuse to allow cold hard facts (in dance, re body shape even if the more subjective subject of ‘sparkle’ and stage presence was ignored) to affect the rose tinted spectacles which kept a very healthy income stream coming their way for several years. Students and parents obviously want to believe the myth that hard work will make anything possible for absolutely anyone and some teachers perpetuate this because it keeps students attending and parents paying. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have just noticed that ENB upper school finals is the same date as RBS upper school finals !! Has this happened in previous years ? What would happen if you had the enviable position of getting  finals for both ?!? Would you be expected to choose one over the other?? Totally theoretical question but could happen to a very gifted dancer .

Hi,

Yes, it happens regularly if not every year. When DD2 auditioned, one of them (I can't remember which one) had the final in the morning and the other in the afternoon. They are used to it and I do believe they do it on purpose. At least, if you get both, you don't have to come to London twice and for international applicants, it's actually practical albeit stressful for all... Good luck!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lifeisgood said:

Thanks blueLou. Can you recall what time it was all done by in the last day? Dc has finals other side of country next day  which may not make in time if finishes late and need to see if worth applying for first before parting with the hefty £85 to apply . 

I’m fairly sure the second day finished just after/ around 5pm last year. 

33 minutes ago, Lifeisgood said:

Hmm as I thought may be case making it too late catch train for finals next day! Some of these finals seem so close together this year. 

Last year we had Central 24th and 25th, Rambert 26th, RCS 27th and 28th March. We were not alone! The long journey from Rambert up to Glasgow was the worst bit. We made the train I’d booked from King’s Cross by the skin of our teeth and I think we got to our hotel in Glasgow at about 10pm! Fortunately dd’s physio appointment was in the afternoon on 27th. 

Good luck with it all! 

• Like 2

On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 06:50, Lifeisgood said:

Thanks blueLou. Can you recall what time it was all done by in the last day? Dc has finals other side of country next day  which may not make in time if finishes late and need to see if worth applying for first before parting with the hefty £85 to apply . 

The second day finish relatively early if you didn't want the tour of the main campus and accommodation- I would say 3pm at the latest.  My dd is a 1st year here and absolutely loves it :)

• Like 1

Hi all, 2 questions if anyone can answer them!

1) what do parents do at the northern ballet school audition as it takes almost all day I gather?

2) how long does it take for prelim results to come from RCS and NBS? Had a lovely audition at RCS today and my northern one on Monday! RCS just said probably within a week, but aahhh I hate the waiting game 😬

12 minutes ago, ArucariaBallerina said:

1) what do parents do at the northern ballet school audition as it takes almost all day I gather?

2) how long does it take for prelim results to come from RCS and NBS? Had a lovely audition at RCS today and my northern one on Monday! RCS just said probably within a week, but aahhh I hate the waiting game 😬

Hi. Having been there for NBS auditions I can offer some suggestions. 

1) You will be given a welcome pack with details of accommodation. You may wish to visit the premises, staff are very welcoming. Literally around the corner. They may even have an empty flat to show you. 

2) If you aren’t staying in a hotel nearby to return to , the walk to the city centre is just a brisk 15 mins away. Retail therapy to distract the nervous parent.

3) Time gives you chance to check out the area. I found the closest chemist, post office, bank Supermarkets etc. 

4) The little coffee shop within the school was left open for us to sit in with a book/newspaper. There are numerous eateries in the area to also past the time. Incl a Costa under the school itself. 

Time does pass. Hope that helps. 

• Like 2

If retail isn't your thing, walk the other way down Oxford Road, and you come to the marvellous University of Manchester museum.  Haven' t been for a couple of years, but was the most eclectic selection, everything from Egyptian mummies to meteorites to dinosaurs.  Keep going (you may be a bit footsore by now!) and you get to the Whitworth  Art gallery.

Loved my Saturdays in Manchester!  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, meadowblythe said:

If retail isn't your thing, walk the other way down Oxford Road, and you come to the marvellous University of Manchester museum.  Haven' t been for a couple of years, but was the most eclectic selection, everything from Egyptian mummies to meteorites to dinosaurs.  Keep going (you may be a bit footsore by now!) and you get to the Whitworth  Art gallery.

Loved my Saturdays in Manchester!  

Thanks for that I may well take a walk on my next visit. I just automatically walk up the road towards St P Sq and Piccadilly. 👣

Or if any parents are more science-y, it is a fairly easy walk to the Science and Industry Museum in Castlefield. At the moment they have Stephenson's original Rocket on loan from the Science Museum and there's lots of other very interesting stuff including a section on  Alan Turing's original computer.

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 20:38, ArucariaBallerina said:

Hi best of luck with  it all

My daughters audition last year was Monday 22nd Jan, we had call back email exactly 1 week later 9although they did say it could take up to 2 weeks):)  Fingers crossed for you.  :)

5 minutes ago, Lifeisgood said:

How many normally go to finals at rcs? I’d be interested to know how the ballet compares to that of the northern ballet course? Thanks 

Given the number of prelims, I was surprised by how few there were at RCS finals. From memory  I think only about 35 in total. 

21 hours ago, Timeflies19 said:

How many normally go to finals at rcs? I’d be interested to know how the ballet compares to that of the northern ballet course? Thanks 

Hi. I’m not too sure if you know. There are about 14/15 per audition session for NBS. They take about 30 per yr group. Then split the 30 into Group 1 & Group 2. As even as they can but not set in stone. But Year groups are mixed for RAD/ISTD exams for when the pupils are ready rather than taken as a class. If that makes sense. 

Good luck to all those auditioning. 

• Like 1

Hi.  there were about 40-45 in the RCS final last year split into 2 groups of 20-23.  The first year class is made up of only 17 so its nice and intimate.  Good luck with auditions :)

Hi. I’m not too sure if you know. There are about 14/15 per audition session for NBS. They take about 30 per yr group. Then split the 30 into Group 1 & Group 2. As even as they can but not set in stone. But Year groups are mixed for RAD/ISTD exams for when the pupils are ready rather than taken as a class. If that makes sense. 

Good luck to all those auditioning. 

• Like 1