Questions about Upper School auditions

Anna C

Hello Naivedad and welcome to the Forum!

Thanks for giving us the benefit of your experience; it seems to me that you are giving really good advice.

In view of your comments about preparing early for US I do not feel your post is out of place on this thread although we do not normally encourage multiple posting.

• Like 1

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks naivedad.  Really reassured by your comments as my DD is in Year 9 and I thought I was being a bit silly with the notion of 'getting her name out there'.

Thanks for your ideas about America too - hadn't even thought of it. 

#haven'taclue! 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bex does ballet said:

Can. Anyone recommend a hotel near Herbal Hill please? Also, before auditions, would you say a night in their own bed at home and an early start for the train or a night in a hotel nearby,  risk maybe not sleeping as well but no risk of travel disruption?

Travelodge King's Cross is iirc about half a mile from Central.

I have a consultant appt in that there London in March and checked distances to herbal hill  from various hotel options as i'm in London on the Thursday and Friday evenings   ( which means David K and Hannah F   central nights )

1 hour ago, Bex does ballet said:

Can. Anyone recommend a hotel near Herbal Hill please? Also, before auditions, would you say a night in their own bed at home and an early start for the train or a night in a hotel nearby,  risk maybe not sleeping as well but no risk of travel disruption?

We stayed at Crown Plaza Kings Cross when dd did the October dance days at Central. Very nice, and it has a pool :) . Lovely restaurant there too for a convenient meal the night before. Dd loves a steak and said that the one she had there was one of the best! 10 minute (if that) walk to Herbal Hill.

Dd always prefers the night in a hotel nearby option. I think we would both worry too much about possible travel delays etc on the day. She is a good sleeper anywhere, so we have a nice meal, early night, good breakfast, and she arrives refreshed and ready. 

Good luck :) 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BlueLou said:

We stayed at Crown Plaza Kings Cross when dd did the October dance days at Central. Very nice, and it has a pool :) . Lovely restaurant there too for a convenient meal the night before. Dd loves a steak and said that the one she had there was one of the best! 10 minute (if that) walk to Herbal Hill.

Dd always prefers the night in a hotel nearby option. I think we would both worry too much about possible travel delays etc on the day. She is a good sleeper anywhere, so we have a nice meal, early night, good breakfast, and she arrives refreshed and ready. 

Good luck :) 

Thanks BlueLou, I don’t sleep well in hotels but that’s not what matters, as long as dd gets a good nights sleep!  We are a 50 minute ( roughly) train ride to London but then would need a bus to get to Herbal Hill and even though it doesn’t seem too far, to get there first thing in the morning would mean doing battle with the commuters and I’d be worrying so would want to build in extra ‘ just in case’ allowances so we’d end up being up at the crack of dawn. I think I’ll go for the hotel option. 

• Like 1

NaiveDad that is a very interesting post. I would add one other point about body shape and that is proportion of leg length to torso length. If your legs ain't long enough you are going to struggle with getting a place even if everything else ticks the boxes. I would reco getting a candid assessment from an expert that you trust. Own dance teacher may have made a huge emotional investment in your dc especially if they have taught them since the beginning and may find it difficult to have such a conversation.

On 27/01/2018 at 16:57, hoglett said:

Thanks naivedad.  Really reassured by your comments as my DD is in Year 9 and I thought I was being a bit silly with the notion of 'getting her name out there'.

Thanks for your ideas about America too - hadn't even thought of it. 

#haven'taclue! 

I briefly looked at America (New York) but probably like so many other parents the thought of leaving my DD so far away and not just a few hours either by train or domestic flight to get to her should the need arise was worrying, as well as funding. Always a huge issue for many. Most HE funding schemes (Grants or Loans) don't extend across the pond and also with Europe, especially with Brexit, whereby at the mo some Eurpoean Vocational Schools may offer free or even low cost training for EU country residents this could all change midway through some US students final years of training, when the final Brexit thingy finally happens. 

I also looked at a couple of schools in Germany, as my DD is at least taking GCSE German I thought it was a start. Then France, all offering Fantastic schools and opportunities but with no direct flights from our home, other towns and cities around England could be the same. Travel would involve 2 flights and trains taking over 6 hours to get home or just to get there. For a DC that is an inexperienced traveller these points had to be considered. Even at the perceived all grown up age of 16. I even factored in the thought I would travel with her there and back everytime. ££££££££££ oops didn't take long to knock that one on the head either. 

Such a shame that the stark practicalities of life interfere with the aspirations and dreams of our youngsters but that's what us parents have to consider. Certainly doesn't stop them from taking these overseas opportunites when they Graduate and get offered a place in a European or further a field Ballet Company.  

21 hours ago, hoglett said:

You're absolutely right @balletbean...cost is certainly a huge factor and I totally agree. I reasoned that if I was concerned about my DD being in London at 16, I/ she probably wouldn't cope with New York or Chicago.  

If the accommodation was near to the London schools this may soften the blow slightly but one establishment requires their pupils to commute 45 mins there and back every day. A day that starts at 8am and finishes at 6.30pm. Those are very long hours before even factoring in the commute then cooking, cleaning, shopping and laundry for anyone, let alone a 16 yr old. And then quote rent and cost of living at £11,000pa. Just wondering how many research the full package before a applying. 

• Like 2

Is anyone still waiting to hear back from ENBS audition videos?

I was surprised that there hasn't been much discussion on the new video application process this year on the forum.  Making the required 20-30 minute video has been an exhausting process taking many hours of studio time and private lessons.  As NaiveDad so rightly said, it may be just to get their foot in the door, but the school will have that video to refer back to later in the process, to watch in slow motion if required, so presenting your child's best work is imperative.

I wonder if the whole expense and length of process has put many off applying at all.....

19 minutes ago, atacrossroads said:

Is anyone still waiting to hear back from ENBS audition videos?

I was surprised that there hasn't been much discussion on the new video application process this year on the forum.  Making the required 20-30 minute video has been an exhausting process taking many hours of studio time and private lessons.  As NaiveDad so rightly said, it may be just to get their foot in the door, but the school will have that video to refer back to later in the process, to watch in slow motion if required, so presenting your child's best work is imperative.

I wonder if the whole expense and length of process has put many off applying at all.....

Is that for UK students, atacrossroads? Or only for international applicants. 

44 minutes ago, Anna C said:

Is that for UK students, atacrossroads? Or only for international applicants. 

All applicants have to submit an application video now, UK and International.  RBS and possibly Elmhurst get put straight through to Prelims and the YDA (and WLSD) joined the 1st year US for a private audition to go through to Finals.  Otherwise all others have to submit this video audition.

Edited by atacrossroads
Spelling
  • Like 2

We found no time set aside for photos or filming in year 11, voc school not interested in giving advice or support and ex teacher at home didn’t want to get involved either as felt ‘dd was now beyond her capabilities’ We found a new local teacher to give guidance and used her studio. 

In grad year photos offered by school but no details on cost before event and each dd that opted for it had a very short time allocated. For videos we were advised they filmed each other in class on phones, turns out that was poor advice. 

So do wonder who exactly ENBS trying to attract to audition as difficult and an expensive exercise for both vocational and non vocational UK students. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jane said:

So do wonder who exactly ENBS trying to attract to audition as difficult and an expensive exercise for both vocational and non vocational UK students. 

Personally, I don't think they are all that interested in UK applicants full stop.  Evidenced by only 2 out of their 9 audition days this year being in the UK.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jane said:

We found no time set aside for photos or filming in year 11, voc school not interested in giving advice or support  

This worries me a little, dd currently in Yr10 and starting to think of where to audition for upper schools, She is currently at vocational school and I was kind of relying on the school/teachers in helping her decide what's best for her? 

• Like 1

In some ways it’s even harder for boarding vocational students as they are stuck in school, miles from home with no access to private lessons to have these specific exercises set, it’s hard enough for them to get the photos done. If the school has a sixth form they will have no incentive to help these children to apply elsewhere. 

These videos generally take about 7 hours to film with 2 hours being devoted to learning and filming Barre, another 4 for centre practice and another hour for pointework.  It’s too exhausting to shoot in one day, you need at least 3 to 4 lessons to get it right and to get it on camera.  That’s very tricky, not to mention expensive for any parent to facilitate,. 

• Like 2

My dd attended the ENBS audition workshop in Jan, we found it very useful as she’s a yr10 vocational student so getting as much info as possible where we can, they told us the reason behind them now asking for dvd audition application is that they have more time to look at each applicant, last year they had over 500 applications.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, atacrossroads said:

All applicants have to submit an application video now, UK and International.  RBS and possibly Elmhurst get put straight through to Prelims and the YDA (and WLSD) joined the 1st year US for a private audition to go through to Finals.  Otherwise all others have to submit this video audition.

I was told (after last yrs SS) that Elmhurst was also going to introduce video applications for the inital stage this year. Purely for the reason that they have so many applying it was to vett them and reduce the number attending the audition pre lims. Disheartening for some but on the other hand I can also understand the reasons.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dancing2003 said:

My dd attended the ENBS audition workshop in Jan, we found it very useful as she’s a yr10 vocational student so getting as much info as possible where we can, they told us the reason behind them now asking for dvd audition application is that they have more time to look at each applicant, last year they had over 500 applications.

My DD attended that workshop but back in October. Loved the workshop but we were just a tad dissapointed that there were quite a few chairs put out for the staff during Q & A but only three attended. Many questions by the parents were left unanswered. One teacher couldn't actually answer any questions regarding the Diploma qualification posed by a European parent! A few parents were heard asking if their DC had attended the audition workshop and/or the SS prior to the audition season would they also have to provide a video or could they just complete the paperwork. It was obvious that the teaching staff hadn't considered that as an option. They weren't asking to bypass the prelims just asking for a little consideration.   

Will ENBS still be on your shortlist for post yr11? If you don't mind me asking

Edited by balletbean

Hi Balletbean,

DD is very much wanting to stay on the classical ballet route, so ENBS will be on our list, but it’s going to be a very long and hard journey, trying to gather as much information on courses/pastoral care and funding.

How about your dd, is she doing auditions now? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dancing2003 said:

Hi Balletbean,

DD is very much wanting to stay on the classical ballet route, so ENBS will be on our list, but it’s going to be a very long and hard journey, trying to gather as much information on courses/pastoral care and funding.

Hi, Dancing 2003, 

My DD was very much classically focused, having attended Ballet West, ENBS and Elmhurst SS's. However, her teachers had suggested to keep her options open besides ballet (strong in Lyrical Modern/Greek and Tap, of all genres). DD was then confused as to follow her heart or follow the advice of her teachers! Certainly not Musical Theatre though. 

Happy to say back in Nov, at her first choice and first audition, NBS offered her a confirmed place. Their course/training keeping that option open for a while yet. They are all still so young. 

As we don't live in the UK I was rather concerned of how we were going to balance the demands of GCSE's and travel arranagements this audition season. 

My fingers are crossed and toes firmly pointed for all those DC  during the audition season. I really do not think Uni students or academic teachers have any idea what pressures vocational pupils go through just in the audition process whilst also maintaining their classroom studies. And then the physical and mental challenges they encounter over the next 3yrs:rolleyes:

Where they get the idea that dancing is a 'soft option' I shall never know or understand.......

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Dancing2003 said:

Hi Balletbean,

Have sent you a pm Dancing2003

• Like 1

Just a note to say that over in the "Questions about Lower School Auditions" thread, people had started to post results of this year's auditions in that thread which, like this thread, was designed for general Q&A about auditions.  In order to keep the two pinned audition threads at a manageable length, I have moved all the recent results/good luck/congratulations into a separate thread:  http://www.balletcoforum.com/topic/17041-good-luckaudition-results-2018/

If when US results start coming in, you lovely folks could either post in that thread or start a separate thread for 2018 Upper School results (whichever you prefer), we would be very grateful.  That keeps this thread for general questions and makes it easier to find information. 

Many thanks!

Anna C

on behalf of Balletcoforum Moderators

• Like 5