We have a talented dancer with parents just like this at DD's studio. Neither of them ever danced and they know nothing about dance except what little they have gleaned via their daughter's lessons, but you could be convinced by their remarks that they have run world-class ballet companies and schools and are currently just slumming it with the ordinary children at the (non-vocational) studio.

Unfortunately 'ballet parents' are very much alive and seem to be ubiquitous - although I have also experienced sport parents and music parents, just different sub-species I think.... ;-)

• Like 4

When I got home DD & I decided it was more like the physcing out before a boxing match than a ballet audition warm up session :-)

• Like 2

At my son's White Lodge audition it was my poor dh who was intimidated by the over zealous warming up and power crazy parents. He texted me to say our ds ( with such little experience) had no chance against the super flexible band of boys who were apparently doing pirouettes as if they'd come out of the womb doing them. This really worried me as dh said my ds was too embarrassed to warm up with them.

Picturesinthefirelight - are you confirming then that there is actually no need to warm up before an audition?

• Like 1

I think you have to do what you have to do. I don't think you will ever stop those type of parents who over push their children.

Tring handled it very well on Monday as they didn't give children time to strut there stuff as you were not allowed to arrive before a certain time and then got whisked off very quickly for a talk.  However I felt so nervous for my DD on Tuesday at Elmhurst I wanted to stretch myself!!

• Like 3

Rest assured that no warm up is necessary other than to show off of , calm nerves or psych oneself up as the teachers leading the audition make sure the children are very well warmed up before any stretching or splits etc are done - they have to be seen to be taking every precaution !

I think they should put up posters in the waiting areas warning if the dangers of extreme cold stretches and that there will be a warm up as part of the class !

• Like 4

I wasnt at the auditions yesterday but from my experience some will warm up quietly and in their own space, others will make a very grand exhibition of their warming up process - often encouraged by over-enthusiastic parents - becomes a battle of the minds, good luck to everyone awaiting their results.

Yes I agree. I would just like to make it clear that I am not one of 'those' mums :) . I heard about a few of the girls in tears at the later auditions that day so am aware it was very competitive then which is really sad because it will put off a lot of kids attending these auditions again.

Yes I agree. I would just like to make it clear that I am not one of 'those' mums :) . I heard about a few of the girls in tears at the later auditions that day so am aware it was very competitive then which is really sad because it will put off a lot of kids attending these auditions again.

Yes that's true, I saw people in tears yesterday too....bless their little hearts I felt very sorry for some of them.

My dd has done 4 auditions this time round and for the first 3 she didn't in front of me warm up but for WL one she did as the WL associate's were.  She also said that they didn't have a warm up at the WL audition

DS auditioned once or twice for a certain musical. Initial auditions were a maelstrom (great word - think that's my word of the day) of spinning, jumping, splitting boys. VERY intimidating.

Vocational school were calm in comparison. But what got me more with regards to ballet was the general dismissal of the Dads taking their children. I reckon it is even more intimidating for us. Luckily, I decided very early on just to talk to pretty much any and everyone, and am thankful for their welcome and advice. The ones that didn't really engage back were usually the jumping spinning splitting parents.

• Like 4

Hi all,

I always get my dc to warm up prior to audition s. I have found the warm ups in the auditions to be variable prior to splits and some I consider inadequate. You can't be too careful!

I encourage dc to worry about warming them self up and not watching others. The competitive warm up is to be discouraged. ...

• Like 2

Always worth doing a search first  ;)  I put in "Hotel" and "Elmhurst" and found a thread called "Hotel Near Elmhurst".  Sorry - for some reason my computer won't let me copy the URL, but if you try doing the same you'll find it.

The Holiday Inn was super and has a car park or if you don't mind a bus it's just a 10-15 min ride from the bus stop just up the hill no 61 is our favourite -it's also only 5 mins from new st station....

Sorry to be a pain everyone, but if you want to comment on or make suggestions about hotels, would you do it on the original thread so we can stop this one from getting to unwieldy - helps everyone to find the information they need.  Spanner - can you help out with putting a link in to the two hotels near Elmhurst threads - still don't know why I can't - bloomin' computer - used to work....

• Like 1

Seeing the mention of hotels near Elmhurst has just reminded me - if you have an early audition anywhere, then remember that it will be the rush hour :wacko:

Birmingham in particular is jammed in the mornings and I've heard it can sometimes take an hour to do a 5-minute journey. Leave yourself a huge amount of time as it's far better to be sitting in the dance school car park for an hour waiting to get in than sitting in gridlock half a mile away at the audition start time...

Be warned!!!!

• Like 4

Thank you everyone! Sorry, my fault I think for asking about hotels. I am still finding my way around this site. Apologies for being dim but how do you find a particular thread? I expect it's really obvious!

If you go to the search gadget -the icon with a magnifying glass which is in the box with 4 little squares top right on my phone - type in "hotels" there is a thread there about accommodation for auditions - hope u can find it !

Try this

www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/4426-hotel-near-elmhurst/?fromsearch=1

Thanks - I'm having a bit of trouble at the mo - lol

I am still anxiously waiting for my ds's white lodge letter which I am 99.9% certain will be a no but of course hoping against hope that I am wrong. I am sure most of you have been there, the waiting is the hardest part. Having got into J.A's first try he will be gutted it he gets a no from white lodge, elmhurst and doesn't get mids. He has worked really hard, practicing every day etc. Do any of you have positive stories of dc's who have eventually got something after a lot of no's. I'm sorry if I sound negative.

It's so horrid waiting and not knowing what to think ! Your mind goes from one extreme to the other ! If it's any help I think most if the boys invited to the WL finals got MA offers .....

Just know that we feel for you and have been there !

Our JA teacher liked to remind us that every child finds their own path and there are many different ways to do this !

The next stage is even worse as it seems ages to get a decision from a final audition and they get sooo excited that they have got to the finals . My DS was totally gutted by a no from WL but is now living his dream after a few nights if sobbing ! So it was worth it for him !

• Like 2

I'm probabaly going to be struck off the forum so saying this, but I'm in two minds as to whether I actually want my DD to get a yes letter. I'm not ready to lose my little girl to boarding school :(

I also worry that it will change her personality and she won't be my funny, spirited, hyper-active, lovely little nut case she is now. :wacko:

• Like 3

Don't feel bad for feeling that.

Going away to boarding school isn't for everyone. There are a couple of children at dds school (including dd) who are non boarders & only applied to that one school as they/their parents didn't want them to board.

For us though the opposite is try with the personality thing. Dd did not fit in at her old school & whilst her personality can still get her into trouble at times she is able to be herself much much more now.

To be honest , fitting in is the main reason she applied.

• Like 1