Questions about Lower School auditions

outofmydepth

Hi all,

I always get my dc to warm up prior to audition s. I have found the warm ups in the auditions to be variable prior to splits and some I consider inadequate. You can't be too careful!

I encourage dc to worry about warming them self up and not watching others. The competitive warm up is to be discouraged. ...

• Like 2

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Always worth doing a search first  ;)  I put in "Hotel" and "Elmhurst" and found a thread called "Hotel Near Elmhurst".  Sorry - for some reason my computer won't let me copy the URL, but if you try doing the same you'll find it.

Sorry to be a pain everyone, but if you want to comment on or make suggestions about hotels, would you do it on the original thread so we can stop this one from getting to unwieldy - helps everyone to find the information they need.  Spanner - can you help out with putting a link in to the two hotels near Elmhurst threads - still don't know why I can't - bloomin' computer - used to work....

• Like 1

Seeing the mention of hotels near Elmhurst has just reminded me - if you have an early audition anywhere, then remember that it will be the rush hour :wacko:

Birmingham in particular is jammed in the mornings and I've heard it can sometimes take an hour to do a 5-minute journey. Leave yourself a huge amount of time as it's far better to be sitting in the dance school car park for an hour waiting to get in than sitting in gridlock half a mile away at the audition start time...

Be warned!!!!

• Like 4

I am still anxiously waiting for my ds's white lodge letter which I am 99.9% certain will be a no but of course hoping against hope that I am wrong. I am sure most of you have been there, the waiting is the hardest part. Having got into J.A's first try he will be gutted it he gets a no from white lodge, elmhurst and doesn't get mids. He has worked really hard, practicing every day etc. Do any of you have positive stories of dc's who have eventually got something after a lot of no's. I'm sorry if I sound negative.

It's so horrid waiting and not knowing what to think ! Your mind goes from one extreme to the other ! If it's any help I think most if the boys invited to the WL finals got MA offers .....

Just know that we feel for you and have been there !

Our JA teacher liked to remind us that every child finds their own path and there are many different ways to do this !

The next stage is even worse as it seems ages to get a decision from a final audition and they get sooo excited that they have got to the finals . My DS was totally gutted by a no from WL but is now living his dream after a few nights if sobbing ! So it was worth it for him !

• Like 2

I'm probabaly going to be struck off the forum so saying this, but I'm in two minds as to whether I actually want my DD to get a yes letter. I'm not ready to lose my little girl to boarding school :(

I also worry that it will change her personality and she won't be my funny, spirited, hyper-active, lovely little nut case she is now. :wacko:

• Like 3

Don't feel bad for feeling that.

Going away to boarding school isn't for everyone. There are a couple of children at dds school (including dd) who are non boarders & only applied to that one school as they/their parents didn't want them to board.

For us though the opposite is try with the personality thing. Dd did not fit in at her old school & whilst her personality can still get her into trouble at times she is able to be herself much much more now.

To be honest , fitting in is the main reason she applied.

• Like 1

I'm probabaly going to be struck off the forum so saying this, but I'm in two minds as to whether I actually want my DD to get a yes letter. I'm not ready to lose my little girl to boarding school :(

I also worry that it will change her personality and she won't be my funny, spirited, hyper-active, lovely little nut case she is now. :wacko:

If your DD was successful (fingers crossed) its still your decision to make about actually going - nothing is cast in stone - dont panic!

• Like 2

You definitely aren't saying anything that most of us haven't felt at this stage in the process Fusster. I think there are a lot of children at vocational schools whose parents would never have considered boarding school were it not for the dancing/ MT element. I know I wouldn't ! It is a very emotional time and it is right to think through whether it is a path that's right for you and your child. I have to say, I agree with the above post about personalities too. They find themselves with like minded children who have similar interests and understand them so they feel comfortable and are able to be themselves ( I M O for what it's worth)

For me that has been the hardest thing - letting him go ! I just had to say to myself that if he got a yes , it was meant to be ????

It hasn't changed mine! To be honest, the school she was at previously (primary school) was far more eager to squash her and make her squareness fit their round hole.

We were just laughing the other day with her about how her year at school seem to have no need to be 'cool' (unlike her brother's non-voc school). She and her friends (boys and girls) have no worries about how they appear to others and all seem to be fun-loving, happy kids!

• Like 5

Fusster it was the best and worst day when my ds got his WL place. I was dead set against it.

You are only expressing what many of us have also felt!

In the end ds had to go as he wasnt allocated any other secondary school! So fate definately intervened.

Best thing that could have happened as it turned out and he is now dancing professionally.

• Like 3

First ever post for me today. I've gained so much valuable information from this site so thank you. I also have a square peg DD who is waiting (without expectation) hear from WL audition. Exciting times all round.

Welcome to the Forum, Little Nutcracker.  I do hope you will share your DD's dance journey with us.

• Like 1

Welcome from me too.

Try not to think too hard about it now - you may or may not have to make a decision and you just do what you think is best if you do! I hated my son being away but he's done so well and had some amazing experiences.

• Like 3

If I had my time again and with the knowledge I have now, I definitely would not have let my daughter go away. Family in my oppinion is so important, there is no rush to go away, it is a personal choice.

Hi Tulip, can I ask why you feel like this?