Questions about Lower School auditions

outofmydepth

Thanks to you all for replying.  I'll have a chat with him then about what he might want to write if he is asked to write this sort of thing.  I am sure that he will be better in the interview than on paper.......so hopefully they will get a chance to go into more detail when he is speaking to them.  I am not sure about contacting the school.  I am worried they might be put off by the possibility of dyslexia.   If he does have it, it's pretty mild (he can read but not spell) but even so........I don't want to do anything that makes him stand out.........Interestingly though, Elmhurst said that they have quite a few children with dyslexia and I wonder whether dancing children may actually be more likely to have this issue.  

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No......unlikely when my DD expressed so strongly her desire to apply for fulltime and my husband and me decided to consider it seriously, it was too late for auditioning (it was january). So I sent an email to the audition office at WL asking for a private audition. They said it was far too late even for that and suggested to apply for summer school: in case she will be invited to attend they will arrange to audition her while in class.....we applied for SS...so now our countdown for results is going to start.....do you know of anyone who has been accepted for full time while attending SS?

Just to wish GOOD LUCK to all of the DC who are auditioning at YDA this Sunday.

My DD is coming to the end of her 5 years at YDA and she will be so sad to leave.  It has been truly wonderful for her and so nuturing.

The 5 years have flown and DD has ENB, Elmhurst and Central finals and Rambert in March, so onwards and upwards.

• Like 1

The two girls and their respective parents have had a wonderful couple of days in London, for their final auditions for WL. There were only two other girls, one from Spain and one from Sweden, for year 8. The girls couldn't have done any more, and they both said they really enjoyed the audition, and neither of them were daunted facing the panel of nine, the physio etc etc. We just seem to take these occasions for granted, but if nothing at all happens for either of them, maybe when they are older they will look back, and think to themselves, omg did I really do that. Good luck to all the DC who auditioned today.

• Like 8

The two girls and their respective parents have had a wonderful couple of days in London, for their final auditions for WL. There were only two other girls, one from Spain and one from Sweden, for year 8. The girls couldn't have done any more, and they both said they really enjoyed the audition, and neither of them were daunted facing the panel of nine, the physio etc etc. We just seem to take these occasions for granted, but if nothing at all happens for either of them, maybe when they are older they will look back, and think to themselves, omg did I really do that. Good luck to all the DC who auditioned today.

The two girls and their respective parents have had a wonderful couple of days in London, for their final auditions for WL. There were only two other girls, one from Spain and one from Sweden, for year 8. The girls couldn't have done any more, and they both said they really enjoyed the audition, and neither of them were daunted facing the panel of nine, the physio etc etc. We just seem to take these occasions for granted, but if nothing at all happens for either of them, maybe when they are older they will look back, and think to themselves, omg did I really do that. Good luck to all the DC who auditioned today.

Thank you for sharing this Vonrothbart... What a lovely positive post ;)

• Like 1

DS and I had a lovely day at WL yesterday.  The sun was shining (in parts!) and WL looked as lovely as ever.  All the students were so smart and friendly.  It was quite a long afternoon waiting for him to finish but happily passed chatting to other parents and parents of children already at WL who provided very helpful insights into what life is like there.  The next week will seem like a long one waiting for results I fear, but he can't do any more now and will have to wait and see:)  Either way, it has all been a great experience and he has made some lovely friends along the way in JAs, especially those children from other countries and cultures that he would not have had the pleasure of meeting and befriending, were it not for the JA/WL experience.  Good luck to everyone else waiting this week, and good luck too to the year 7 girls next week.  The children already at WL put cards with messages on displayed on their beds for the auditionees to see - it's very sweet..

• Like 6

Glad you had such a nice time , I remember for DS it felt like he was an inch away from being a part if the school .....so tempting to start imagining what it would be like to live there - at least your DS has had the summer school experience !

All the best for the next final !????

I agree Billy it is easy to get swept along and start to think "what if......."

This will be our conversation if he gets in

Me - "DS - you got in!"

DS - "Oh that's good"

And if we don't

Me - "DS - I am sorry but you didn't get in"

DS - "Oh - ok.  Never mind" 

That's not to say he wouldn't LOVE to go but just that we know that there are lots of options if we don't.  Basically he just loves to dance and he knows he can either do this at a ballet school or in the living room at home.  Either way, if he is dancing, he is happy!

• Like 9

Well it was the expected no for the two UK girls for year 8, I'm not sure about the two foreign girls though. Life goes on and like I mentioned earlier, from my point of view it's maybe a blessing in disguise this year, I'm sure my GDD and her Mum won't see it that way of course but she will be fine.

Edited by Vonrothbart
  • Like 9

Thanks for letting us know Vonrothbart - they'll all bounce back quickly I hope.

Please can we keep future news about audition results to the relevant thread, so we can keep this one for questions about auditions - it will help it not to get "cluttered" and easier for people to find useful answers in the future.  Thanks

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/5862-lower-school-audition-results-2014/page-10

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your GDD Vonrothbart but as there were no places, as no year 7's were assessed out, this can't have been a great surprise.

This must however put her in a very strong position for next year when there are two extra beds added. All great experience to increase her confidence for then and I must say she does sound a very grounded young girl with a mature attitude to the whole process.

• Like 6

I am sorry to hear your news Vonrothbart but I suppose that, with no girl year 7s being assessed out, it was not very likely that they would take extra year 8s over the 12 they have.    However, I believe that there are more places higher up the school and your GDD is obviously currently number 13 so I hope that it does become third time lucky for her.

Thanks susyszoo, yeah along with a lot of other DC she will just have to keep listening to her excellent teachers, and more importantly keep on enjoying what she's doing. There's a lot of water to go under the bridge between now and next years auditions, and there could well be alternatives, and to be honest it is nice that no year 7's have been assessed out at such a young age.

• Like 4

I appreciate there's not a lot in it between the ayes and the nays at such a young age taxi4ballet, one of her teachers has had a word with her and her Mum,with some positive encouragement, so everyone is fine already. Well done to all the successful year 7's, it soon passes doesn't it?  

• Like 3

I gather today is lower school finals at Elmhurst. I have been standing in my kitchen thinking back to that day last year, a day full of emotion!! Laughter, tears, nervous laughter to try and cover the tears, gut wrenching nerves and yearning - and that was just me! It was a lovely sunny day and some time was spent over tea and cake outdoors in the park with friends, some drinking more tea at the MAC, some finally getting to see the lovely rooms and the notes left by the year 7s wishing people good luck but ALL of it with a constant internal dialogue and a knot in the stomach! When dd came out happy and saying that it had gone well it was a huge relief and we stopped off at a co-op on the way back towards the motorway to buy copious amounts of chocolate . I can't beleive it was a year ago, the emotion is still so raw!

Thinking of everyone who is there today, I hope you have had an enjoyable and memorable day!

Edited to add, not really a question so maybe in the wrong thread, sorry admin

Edited by along for the ride mum
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...