Questions about Lower School auditions

outofmydepth

Congratulations to her Vonrothbart.  Is that from the London audition?  I am thinking of stalking the street to see if the postman is there!!!!

No, it was from Manchester Suzyszoo, thanks for your kind comments.

Congratulations to your granddaughter and her friend, VonRothbart! That's amazing, to get to RBS finals twice :-)

Thanks legseleven, and yes it is nice, especially as the two girls and their families have grown up together. 

• Like 1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to those with a yes. You have an exciting day to plan. As for those who were not so lucky, try not to think too hard about why. Its useful to have feedback but I have learned that you can drive yourself a bit bonkers trying to work out why or why not some children are chosen and others not. Our dance teacher asked for feedback for my DS and it was all good! So we still had no idea why he didnt get in lol! I have heard of some kids getting to Royal finals but not Elmhurst and vise versa.. Each school likes different things. Good luck to the London auditionees....last letters due I think.

• Like 1

I think about 24 make the final for the twelve places in yr 7 at WL, but as there are only supposedly  three places in yr 8, does anyone know how many will make the final please?

hi Vonrothbart, I am not sure how many they will take to finals for yr 8, I think last year there were 3 girls for the 1 place.

As for this year, I am not sure where you heard there were going to be 3 places from as unless they assess out there will be no places ! My daughter and her friends are in yr 7 at the moment and it is hard to think of 3 of them being assessed out! I would imagine in year 8 its one place if any at all most years!! 

I think you have to be very careful what you believe and I hope that none of the year 7 girls have seen that 3 places are up for grabs!!!

Don't get me wrong, I am on the audition side too with my son wanting a place so I can see both sides! good luck to your gdd at finals and I hope she enjoys the day.

• Like 12

They were told at the Manchester audition that there were three places available, I can't understand why anyone would suggest that if it's not true. It doesn't really matter how many places there are available mind, as there  will always be serious competition for them, 

Hi vonRothbart

I was at Manchester on 23rd and to us the 13.15 group they hinted there may be no Y8 places. I'm sorry this is not the news your GD will want to hear but I think it is fair you know the score. I am sorry in a way they are taking them to seconds if no places but clearly your gd is on the cusp and if a place became available. ... I guess it could happen not for assess out reasons. ... I hope she gets what she deserves soon. Did she go for Elmhurst?

• Like 2

They were told at the Manchester audition that there were three places available, I can't understand why anyone would suggest that if it's not true. It doesn't really matter how many places there are available mind, as there  will always be serious competition for them, 

My DD dance teacher has always said to keep ears shut to all the rubbish that is said, unless it comes from an official source. Quite a lot Ive heard ive had to stifle a laugh as some of it is quite ridiculous.  All will be revealed at finals, no point in speculation :-)

• Like 5

As far as the school is concerned I guess they have to keep their options open.

A parent/child has until the end of the spring term to give notice that they want to leave at the end of the academic year for example. There is always the possibility someone might decide that vocational school isn't for them right now even if they pass their appraisal

• Like 1

I always  understood that even if there were places available in yr 8, they would not necessarily take anyone just for the sake of it. We certainly were not taking any notice of what we heard unofficially that's for sure, it's all part of the experience which has to be good for everyone concerned on this epic journey. Just a thought but if my GD had been born a day earlier, she would have been auditioning for a place in yr 7, so she has done very well to be involved in it all, so to speak. Thanks for all the guidance, I'm sure it will come in handy further down the line.

I just want to support others thoughts that unofficial speculation about places is not helpful. Once you have a child at vocational school, you realise how immensely stressful appraisal time is for them and their friends. I sincerely hope that no current year 7s read the post regarding three potential spaces in year 8 as this would heighten their stress levels totally unnecessarily for their appraisals next week. Whilst the number of places seem to increase further up the school, due to boarding constraints, this is not the case in the lower years, although they do tend to audition some extras in case of unforeseen circumstances, as pictures mentions. I have always found this forum very supportive but do feel it is important to remember the feelings of both those auditioning and those being appraised. Good luck to every one in all those cases - and if you are at finals, enjoy it, it is a very special day and you have done amazingly well.

• Like 10

Hi vonrothbart. I have no personal knowledge but my god daughter went to RBS lower and upper school. I asked her about 'numbers' for each year group and she said "if they really want someone they will make space!" She also mentioned her friend who went for a Associate place but they liked her so much they put her through to WL finals for yr 9, she got a place and finished her training there. Good luck to your granddaughter xx

• Like 3

Hi vonRothbart

I was at Manchester on 23rd and to us the 13.15 group they hinted there may be no Y8 places. I'm sorry this is not the news your GD will want to hear but I think it is fair you know the score. I am sorry in a way they are taking them to seconds if no places but clearly your gd is on the cusp and if a place became available. ... I guess it could happen not for assess out reasons. ... I hope she gets what she deserves soon. Did she go for Elmhurst?

Sorry for late reply sarahw, no she only auditioned for WL at this stage, like I've mentioned I have mixed feelings at this stage, as she has got settled  in her first year at a very good school, she gets superb training from her local dance school and she is a MA. There will be plenty of opportunities further down the line, if she is good enough of course,

• Like 3

Hi Legseleven

We went to Tring yesterday.  DS said he enjoyed it.  I think there were about 7 boys for the dance course that day, some of which he knew from JAs.  He said the other boys were friendly and they seemed to support each other, which was nice.  The thing he liked least was the lunch.  He chose what he thought was sausage pasta and it turned out to be mushroom pasta!  I think he tried to pick the tiny bits of mushroom out without success!  Apart from that he said it was a good day!  

I was quite surprised that there are sometimes only one or two boys on the dance course there each year.  I had expected it to be more for some reason.  

• Like 1

I'm glad he enjoyed it, Suzyszoo and that the boys supported each other. You made me laugh with his lunch incident; how very normal that a 10-11 year old boy is concerned with his food ;-) Perhaps he should have a guest slot on 'Big Ballet' to show that dancers do indeed eat...

• Like 1

I'm sure like my DS the food will be one of the things that he ask about when he meets the children at the schools .

Once you go to the finals and get the tours etc DS will imagineing life there and all that follows from going there and living away from home !!

• Like 1

Trouble is, BillyElliot that he went to the WL summer school and missed us all a lot (was homesick) so he is worried he would be the same again I think.   Maybe they served mushroom pasta!

Edited by Suzyszoo

When we auditioned before Christmas, the audition was Thursday 21 Nov and the acceptance letter arrived Friday 13 Dec so it was 3 weeks and 1 day.  I thought you would have heard last week but perhaps they held off until after the last auditions last Thursday?  

It's got to be any day now I would have thought - fingers crossed for you x