Questions about Lower School auditions

outofmydepth

Middle school groupings vary so much though, in this area some schools are reception to year 4, yr 5-7, yr 8- 13 and others are up to yr 5, yr 6-8, yr 9-13.  Sats and 11+ fall at really awkward times.  Our local school system certainly influenced our decisions for vocational ballet school as we felt, and DD agreed that 3 schools in 3 years would have been a bit much.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Except on the whole it's the same cohort of children passing through the three schools so they are still with their friends not quite the same as starting at three completely new schools!

I agree though that if the local schools are not that many and maybe not so good and my child had a particular talent I might be favoured towards a vocational school too.

• Like 1

Actually Lin, with middle school of 150 pupils taking from 12 feeder schools, and high school of 315 taking from 2 feeder schools and elsewhere and a policy of mixing everyone up, the chances of staying with friends is remote.  All of mine had friends from where we live but no classes with them again after year 5, until 6th form.

but ultimately, yes the choice of vocational school or not is very individual with family, schooling, local dance training, finances all needing to be taken into consideration.

• Like 1

Actually Lin, with middle school of 150 pupils taking from 12 feeder schools, and high school of 315 taking from 2 feeder schools and elsewhere and a policy of mixing everyone up, the chances of staying with friends is remote.  

Agree, mind you, that also means the chance of them staying with bullies/people they can't stand is equally remote!!! ;)

• Like 3

Hi my ds has an audition at Tring on 6th Feb. it is really a last minute decision (he hasn't even learnt the solo yet) but I am a little worried about the drama piece which is optional and he doesn't want to do or the singing. He really is only interested in classical ballet but I am wondering if he doesn't even attempt the drama will this limit his chances. He is a RBS JA and we have auditioned for WL which was a no and now awaiting Elmhurst.

Any thoughts please?

The mds is awarded for classical dance potential so it doesn't matter about the drama or singing. People get in without doing it.? The school finds it useful if they see someone they think might be better suited to theatre arts rather than dance.

• Like 1

I think its best that you son just concentrates on his solo rather than getting stressed about doing the optional drama piece!

As others have said, if its an mds you are after then only the classical ballet is looked at. At finals all they do is a Ballet class. I know this both from a parent snd as a teachers experience.

So please just make sure he can dance for a minute with confidence. The solo is only seen once so he just has to dance his heart out and not worry if the choreograpy is accurate!

• Like 4

Just a quick question re white lodge no letters. One of the parents said that their dd's no letter specifically stated why she had not been considered. That it was lack of flexibility in one area only and that if this was worked on they would like to see her again. I find this odd as the letter my ds got said nothing like that. It did say something about trying again and that he was a strong contender for Mids ( highly unlikely) but nothing else. Has anyone else had a very specific no letter like that.

I think that's pretty unusual - the letters are usually pretty vague - saying that there may be various reasons for not being selected but please try again as children change. But I suppose it's good if they see one very particular thing wrong that they mention it. I am surprised though - they see so many, I'm not surprised they don't give feedback.

I couldn't agree more, JulieW. We were told that DD's friend had had very specific advice about what her strong points were (apparently many) and what her (apparently very few) weak points were when she was unsuccessful in an associate scheme audition. This was found to be entirely made up. I felt very sorry for DD's friend as she clearly hadn't been told about the competition she should expect at associate or other auditions and she was then understandably baffled as to why she hadn't been accepted in light of her mum's invented 'feedback' from the associate scheme.

Just a quick question re white lodge no letters. One of the parents said that their dd's no letter specifically stated why she had not been considered. That it was lack of flexibility in one area only and that if this was worked on they would like to see her again. I find this odd as the letter my ds got said nothing like that. It did say something about trying again and that he was a strong contender for Mids ( highly unlikely) but nothing else. Has anyone else had a very specific no letter like that.

I have had two dd's in JA's and each time nothing specific was mentioned in the letter, although at the time something must have been written somewhere about feedback but it was deemed only acceptable to request it through your child's local teacher. 

What is also different from the letters I've had in the past is that you say your letter says he is a strong contender for Mids.

I am thinking that there has been a bit of a shake up this year as a few things, re auditioning and Summer School are different.

Well done for Elmhurst and good luck for the Final .

Hello all. Have had a chance to read up on all the lovely news now, so well done everyone who was successful. 

My DD had a no letter from WL as you all know, and there was no specific feedback, but it did say that she would be strongly considered for MIDs. I'm hoping that they wouldn't get peoples hopes up about such a thing if they didn't really mean it.

So fingers and toes, and legs and eyes crossed in our house :)

• Like 2

Hi to everyone and thanks for trying to clarify WL no letter. I just assumed all WL no letters said the bit about being a strong contender for mids. Just assumed it was a nice let down to appease after reject so would be nice if I was wrong. I too thought it a bit suspicious about the other girl's specific no letter. Her parents did think she almost had a guaranteed place as she was picked for nutcracker. It made me wonder if my ds just had too many reasons to list regarding it being a no!

Consulting JA teacher for feedback............. Has anyone done that? Is it ok to do? I have always felt as though she doesn't have much time for me, a bit evasive/none committal.

Sorry to be a pain but how do you copy a bit of the text from another message onto your message please?

I don't know whether the "strongly being considered for MAs" has gone into the JA letters - would need to hear from more people to find that out.

We didn't speak to dd's JA teacher but I know plenty of people who did. You won't get an official line from them as of course they can't comment (won't know) what the panel thought, but they'll probably give you their best guess :-)

And to quote someone message, use the quote button at the bottom of that message. On my phone I have to tap the message first to get some options come up (I also have edit and delete buttons as a moderator!). You can then delete bits of the quoted message within your own message if you need to. There is a test section in another party of the forum if you just want to have a go first.

• Like 1

Hi MVOBE it was my dd's local teacher  that requested the feedback, she spoke to Mark Annear head of the Associate programme. This was 3 years ago.

Has his local teacher been to watch him recently? Do they even still do this........I was thinking you could invite his teacher to watch and she could ask the JA teacher about your sons progress.

Wouldn't have thought the strong contender for mids would go on every letter, but I think it might be new this year because as far as I know it wasn't on any of the children from my dd's JA class last year. My dd didn't get a mids place but she was put on swl so I assume she must have been considered for one.

I will probably pluck up the courage to ask his JA teacher for her opinion, guess it can't hurt.

We have tring this week, does anyone know how that compares to Elmhurst regarding number of boys auditioning please?

Hi, MVOBE, I am new to the forum but my dd is a JA.  We are currently waiting for results for lower school, but have been offered finals for Elmhurst and Hammond. 

A parent asked at our last session if we could ask our JA teacher for feedback.  We were told that the teachers do NOT give feedback to parents, however your local dance teacher is allowed to ring the JA admin office at Covent Garden and they will discuss with them.  Hope this helps.  Also the franking machine was broken at Covent Garden so that has delayed the results being sent.  Apparently Manchester audition results were being posted today.  Good Luck to all still waiting. :)

We were advised to do just that , so I asked our local teacher if she would phone for us . She then said that although she could if we insisted but that we were unlikely to get any concrete information as to why DS was not chosen , so she advised against that .

The only information I gleaned was via another parent who, opon calling Mark Annear said he had been told that at the end of the day it came down to body proportions rather than talent or level of training , as any of the finalists were suitable , they just had to find a way to choose 12!

I stress that this is what I was told by another parent and therefore I can't vouch for its accuracy !

I don't think one can read anything into those general comments and it is not likely that one will ever find out exactly why some were picked and not others . I think it would be safer to ask the teacher that knows them best what weaknesses they feel could be worked on etc.