Questions about Lower School auditions

outofmydepth

Experience of the girls final yr 8  was in 4 sections- ballet class, physio, interview and academic test but not necessarily in that order. The ballet class is the dominant part,  the other 3 are very relaxed and informal. The academic test is mainly to identify if there are any learning difficulties and has no bearing on the result of the audition, as far as I’m aware. The interview is very short and relaxed.  The day is VERY long and tiring with lots of waiting around between the different bits and pieces, although I think there were dvds to watch. Take plenty of snacks!. Sorry I can’t be more specific.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry posting this here as well as on Tring auditions thread as I wasn't sure which was best. Just wondering if anyone knows how many spaces there might be on the dance course at Tring  for y9 entry in September? Friend of mine who isn't on here has a DC who has funding finals (currently y8 at another vocational school). They are hoping to know likelihood of funded place.

Thanks!

There are always only a small amount of MDS’s available and have to be spread between yrs7 - 10. The number of MDS’s varies from year to year. They usually tell the parents at the audition, how many are available. I guess it would depend on who they feel is more deserving. They may have a space in yr 9 but give the scholarships to yrs7 or 10. There are usually more spaces than beds.

• Like 1

For the boys finals they picked double the amount boys for available places. 

There were 14 boys in each audition group, two in each group were auditioning for Y8 places.

Each group auditioned for 2 1/2 hrs. One morning, one afternoon. 

There are 12 Y7 places available and 2 Y8.

Your audition schedule  will give you an indication of girls numbers by how many audition groups there are. Boys only had Group A + B. It will either be two or four groups, as over two days, so either 28 or 56 girls. 

• Like 1

On 18/02/2019 at 14:19, Motomum said:

Hello all,

might I ask, those of you with children, boys if possible, who have been through the White Lodge final auditions, what the day actually consists of?

i would like to give my son some idea of what to expect as he doesn’t cope well with just ‘going into something’ with no idea at all of what to expect.

I know there will be ballet 😁, but that is all I know, but how does it differ from the Preliminary audition if at all?

Someone has said there is an exam, my son is Home Educated so I would really find it useful if anyone knows what this means in application.

Thank you.

Motomom, how did your son get on? Did he enjoy the day?

Hello Nala, thank you for asking. He just got a ‘no’ for WL and the email asked him to re-audition for WL next year. I think that is a standard response, apart from waiting list.

He had tonsillitis the week of the audition and the finals day was rescheduled for him, so he did half a day. He didn’t enjoy the audition at all, he found the seriousness of the whole experience really overwhelming and felt this reflected in his dancing on the day. He said he wasn’t nervous, just that his dancing was joyless.

He was sad for a while this evening, as he felt that he hadn’t really been able to show them how much he loves ballet; but a Cadbury’s Creme egg brought him to his senses. 😁

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, Motomum said:

Hello Nala, thank you for asking. He just got a ‘no’ for WL and the email asked him to re-audition for WL next year. I think that is a standard response, apart from waiting list.

He had tonsillitis the week of the audition and the finals day was rescheduled for him, so he did half a day. He didn’t enjoy the audition at all, he found the seriousness of the whole experience really overwhelming and felt this reflected in his dancing on the day. He said he wasn’t nervous, just that his dancing was joyless.

He was sad for a while this evening, as he felt that he hadn’t really been able to show them how much he loves ballet; but a Cadbury’s Creme egg brought him to his senses. 😁

I’m really sorry to hear that. I’m sure that with the experience of doing it once, next year he’ll be better prepared for what to expect and the joy of his dancing will shine through.  I also find Cadbury Creme eggs are a fantastic cure all!  Best of luck for his next steps. Xx

• Like 1

Hi my daughter has had a yes from Tring with a funding audition for year 8 which is great news and very exciting. I am slightly confused though as the letter is offering her a day place not a boarding place which she would need. Does anyone know whether this is standard and that she could be offered a boarding place after the audition or should I let them know that she would need a boarding place? Any advice would be great 👍 

Edited by GAB Dancer

35 minutes ago, GAB Dancer said:

Hi my daughter has had a yes from Tring with a funding audition for year 8 which is great news and very exciting. I am slightly confused though as the letter is offering her a day place not a boarding place which she would need. Does anyone know whether this is standard and that she could be offered a boarding place after the audition or should I let them know that she would need a boarding place? Any advice would be great 👍 

I would suggest contacting them. Their boarding places can fill up quickly and they may now be at capacity. There will be people who would have confirmed their place after offers that do not need funding. If you discuss with them then they can tell you whether your Dd could get a boarding place.

Good luck and congrats for the offer.

Edited by Mummy twinkle toes
Typo

2 hours ago, GAB Dancer said:

We were told at the audition that most of the letters offered day places but not to worry because usually everyone who needed a boarding place was able to be accommodated. Everyone I’ve spoken to with an offer has had a day place offer not boarding. 

Hi my dd has a funding audition at tring next week. Is there anyone who did this last year who is able to give a bit more info about what the ballet class involved... there’s ballet classes and ballet classes! Was it s fairly standard barre, centre, and fast bits st the end ( sorry not the right lingo!) , was there any improvisation, anything else? A few tips would be great. Thanks. Good luck to all those doing these auditions everywhere in the next couple of weeks xx

• Like 1

Th

On 12/03/2019 at 05:36, valentina said:

As far as I remember, it was a standard ballet class - barre, centre work / adage,  pirouettes and allegro. Nothing else. It was slightly more challenging than the first audition. Some people were sent for physio afterwards.

Thank you that’s helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

My son is too @ponklemum. I rang the Hammond to seek advice re any other financial assistance and they said they won’t know anything with regards to bursaries until the end of next week. Without funding he won’t be able to attend. I am heartbroken for him but decided not to say anything to him until the bursary conversation next week. 

Last year we were given the information freely as to where our children were on the list.  I have heard this year that they are not discussing Bursaries yet until the end of next week, which is a shame as more waiting.. but yes don't give up, there are other schools who have not sent out their decisions yet so there is always movement .. Good luck !

They can give you an idea of whether your child is close enough to the top to be in with a chance of an award. My daughter was in the top third of the reserve list last year, so she did well, but unless everyone turned down their MDS she wasn't going to get one! That clearly wasn't going to happen so we came off the list and accepted a bursary instead.