Questions about Lower School auditions

outofmydepth

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Danceintherain said:

So the Hammond recall is this week for years 7 and 8, and from that we will all (years 9 and 10 included - we are year 10) who has an MDS.  Does anyone know if they also let you know about any bursaries offered at the same time, or is that a different process?

In previous years those unsuccessful in getting an MDS have been sent a letter saying to contact the school by telephone to discuss potential bursary help. 

From previous years threads it has sometimes taken a while, especially as they break up for Easter on Friday. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Picturesinthefirelight said:

In previous years those unsuccessful in getting an MDS have been sent a letter saying to contact the school by telephone to discuss potential bursary help. 

From previous years threads it has sometimes taken a while, especially as they break up for Easter on Friday. 

Thank you!

42 minutes ago, Picturesinthefirelight said:

I ‘think’ it might be quite a good year for MDS awards as quite a few current year 11’s have one that will go back into the pot so to speak. 

Ooh, fingers crossed then! Although I was told most will go to years 7 and 8, because they are their longer. I understand that argument, but still a shame for those older who have been auditioning for a few years now. We will stay positive though!

• Like 1

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 15:39, Danceintherain said:

Ooh, fingers crossed then! Although I was told most will go to years 7 and 8, because they are their longer. I understand that argument, but still a shame for those older who have been auditioning for a few years now. We will stay positive though!

It seems illogical to make a distinction.  Surely if a funding award is made to a Y9 who will only retain it for 3 years, it just means it'll go back "into the pot" sooner for another future student...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sarahw said:

The current Y11 at Hammond had several MDS to Y10 entrants.

however with  the UTCs  etc in the state sector  there is a  new emphasis on people potentially  changing schools for  Y10 on wards   rather than  the  the old claims related to  grammars that  they wrote others off at  12  years old ... 

I’m sorry Nicola your post has confused me. I’m not sure how UTC’s (which are failIng & closing at an alarming rate considering the money that was ploughed into them) relate to MDS awards. 

I suspect  this is veering wildly off topic but it’s now much harder to change schools in the state sector at the end of year 9 due to the large number of schools now operating a 3 year Key Stage 4 whereby GCSE options are chosen at the end of Year 8 & begun in Year 9. 

I have for several years wondered how this affects those assessed out of vocational school at the end of year 9 as they will in effect miss a year of GCSE teaching. 

• Like 1

I think all the vocational schools I know of choose at the end of year 9. 

I just wondered how a child assessed out of vocational school would manage if they had to go back to “normal” school & go into a class with children who had been doing their options for a year already. I know in my Local Authority they discourage changing secondary schools after the end of Year 8 due to this.  

• Like 1

How essential is additional training when at vocational school ? I notice a lot of DC seem to attend many workshops extra classes etc all over the country . This is not something that would be physically or financially possible for me.  I had thought the full time training would be enough .

Hmmm - everyone will have their own view on this. I wouldn't say it's essential especially if you're motivated to stretch & practise at home , but it can also be of benefit to be taught by different teachers - if you don't over-do it and the teachers understand your capabilities.

For our DS who boards - they don't have any extra time or energy to take extra classes week to week, nor would it be allowed - for very good reason . We find he is exhausted  just keeping up with timetabled dance classes, academic classes & homework. The little free time he gets - he tries to relax if he can. There is the real danger of over-doing it and becoming burnt out and injured...... especially if your body is developing or going through a growth spurt. There are many people on this forum far more qualified to advise you on this subject. I merely speak as a non dancing mum making observations of our son & how he copes with vocational training.

We do however find Easter & Summer courses useful for keeping him moving and not seizing up too much over the longer breaks. He really enjoys them following a period of rest. The benefits are working with different teachers and different genre's.

The school our DS attends are fine with this as long as they are happy that the courses & teachers are reputable. 

Very occasionally our DS has a couple of 'catch up '  lessons with his original teachers during the long Summer holidays - nice for him to show them how he's progressing & lovely for them to have him return 'home' once in a while. He's always made very welcome by his teachers & they take great interest in his development.  

At Exeat and shorter half term holidays all our DS wants to do is eat & sleep ....... mainly sleep to be honest !! In fact , a bomb could go off , the house fall down ....... and he'd still be sleeping !!! 😂😂😂

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Ballet4Boyz said:

mainly sleep to be honest !! In fact , a bomb could go off , the house fall down ....... and he'd still be sleeping !!! 😂😂😂

Not quite LS but your post made me laugh. I can certainly confirm that the ‘Sleeping’ doesn’t change much as they get older. 

DD currently in yr11 at regular day school and heading towards GCSE’s before moving to vocational school in Sept. Spends about 12/14hrs in the studio after school per week. Builds up to exams/festivals/shows etc without batting an eyelid, (I don’t know where she gets the energy from sometimes) then  ‘crashes’ afterwards. This just seems to be her way and I can’t do anything about it except maintain healthy diet and regular bedtime during term-time  😊. However holidays are a different matter 

My advice to any parents of DC, whilst exercise/dancing during down time (half-term, Summer holidays etc) is important don’t book back to back classes. Embrace the time you have with them. Encourage meeting up with friends and swap regular ballet or other lessons for more relaxed fun type classes or activities. Summer workshops run by local dance schools whilst not necessarily challenging for some are excellent fun relaxed activities, requiring different skills. No pressure like the more formal SS. (Obviously if at Vocational LS attendance at a SS is possibly mandatory it doesn’t mean to say they have to spend their entire summer at endless SS). If you live near the coast even better. Fresh air and exercise on the beach. No beach, try the good old countryside walks. Again the fresh air is fabulous but also a great way to touch base and talk to your child about anything and everything and to listen to them. One to keep the body moving but also let the brain recharge/relax which is important for their mental health, not just their muscles. 

Mental as well as physical burn out can creep up slowly when you step on to the tread-mill of vocational training at any age. 

‘Time out’ also allows the child that time to think and talk to ensure that this is truly the career in the future that they want. And not because what’s expected of them. 

• Like 17

2 minutes ago, Hardworkingballetdad said:

Out of interest how many children do they take into a year group at Elmhurst, and is it the same amount of boys to girls, is there a set number or do they go over or under? 

In lower or upper school, Hardworkingballetdad? 

39 minutes ago, Hardworkingballetdad said:

Is there a max amount to a year group then? 

I would think around 28 it’s a matter of how many beds they can find for the boarders so it will also depend on how many older children are staying or joining overall -so there is a little flexibility - for example this year the yr 11 boys are living in the 6th form block as there was room there this creating more space for those in lower years ...

38 minutes ago, Hardworkingballetdad said:

Ok so most is down to beds available to the amount of places? 

And of course the number of MDS awards available (if you need funding) which again depends on the number giving theirs up ie leavers in current year 11 or leaving for other reasons!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Billyelliott said:

And of course the number of MDS awards available (if you need funding) which again depends on the number giving theirs up ie leavers in current year 11 or leaving for other reasons!

Thankyou for your help, I’m just trying to work out when you audition for year 8,9 or 10 could there be no or 1 place available