"Kings of the Dance" London March 2014

Ardani Artists has just made the following announcement:

A new "Kings of the Dance" program is scheduled for the London Coliseum in March of 2014.

This new incarnation of Kings of the Dance showcases 

Roberto Bolle from Teatro alla Scala, 

American Ballet Theatre's reigning stars Marcelo Gomes and Ivan Vasiliev, 

Denis Matvienko of the Mariinsky Ballet 

Leonid Sarafanov of the Mikhailovsky Ballet. These kings will dance eight masterpieces representing the finest work of Sir Frederick Ashton, Roland Petit, Edward Clug, Patrick De Bana, Nacho Duato, Jorma Elo, and Marcelo Gomes.

Roberto Bolle and Ivan Vasiliev will perform Roland Petit's tragic Le Jeune Homme et la Mort. Both men will also appear in Remanso, a work by Nacho Duato created to demonstrate the line and strength of male dancers. The evening will also include a collaboration that will become part of dance history: a world premiere choreographed by Marcelo Gomes to music by Guillaume Côté. 

Date Time   Wed 19 Mar 2014 19:30   Thu 20 Mar 2014 19:30   Fri 21 Mar 2014 19:30   Sat 22 Mar 2014 19:30        

• Like 1

So, that Gomes piece is a masterpiece even before it airs? :)

Thanks for this, Katherine: it sounds interesting.

Yeah, I was just pasting over from the ENO site. I did edit out some of the other hyperbole!

PS I've seen a fair bit of Gomes' choreography and am yet to see a masterpiece...

Edited by toursenlair

I have one question - when Bolle and Vasiliev perform Jeune Homme - which one of them will be La Mort? 

Seriously, I assume they will have a guest 'Queen', but on first reading the press release I had a wonderful double take.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Ivan Vasiliev posted information on his facebook page this morning about the debut of Kings of the Dance in the UK at the London Coliseum. Le Jeune Homme et La Mort was my favourite ballet in ENB's Ecstasy and Death so I can't wait to see Vasiliev's performance.

n 2006, Kings of the Dance had its World Premiere at Segerstrom Center for the Arts, followed by its East Coast Premiere at New York City Center. Now, the critically-acclaimed Kings of the Dance makes its London debut showcasing the phenomenal artistry, style and power of today's most celebrated male dancers. This new incarnation of Kings of the Dance showcases the American Ballet Theatre's reigning stars Marcelo Gomes and Ivan Vasiliev, and Russia's brilliant Denis Matvienko of the Mariinsky Ballet and Leonid Sarafanov of the Mikhailovsky Ballet. These kings will dance eight masterpieces representing the finest work of Sir Frederick Ashton, Roland Petit, Edward Clug, Patrick De Bana, Nacho Duato, Jorma Elo, and Marcelo Gomes.

Ivan Vasiliev will perform Roland Petit's tragic Le Jeune Homme et la Mort. Leonid Sarafanov, Marcelo Gomes, and Denis Marvienko will appear Remanso, a work by Nacho Duato created to demonstrate the line and strength of male dancers. The evening will also include a collaboration that has already become part of dance history: a world premiere choreographed by Marcelo Gomes to music by Guillaume Côté.

http://www.eno.org/see-whats-on/productions/production-page.php?&itemid=2444

Great news, thanks for posting.I've seen Youtube clips of Ivan's Jeunne Homme and it looked superb. I went straight out online to get tickets (Upper Circle front row had already gone though :( )

Maybe by April I will have recovered form Friday night's Flames...... so glad I haven't got any ballet tickets until October, anything else would just pale into insignificance!

Those front row Upper Circle never go on sale online, as they have legroom restrictions, likewise the Balcony, very irritating.

Funnily enough for the Carlos Acosta shows, they suddenly put them online for all performances and I bought one, wasn't too bad spacewise, but not for the very tall!

Those front row Upper Circle never go on sale online, as they have legroom restrictions, likewise the Balcony, very irritating.

Likewise the centre of the front row of the Dress Circle, which really is very poor considering how much the tickets cost.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

There's an interesting article in today's Times, mostly interviews with Marcelo Gomes and Roberto Bolle, makes me want to see Bolle in Le Jeunne Homme as he was coached by Roland Petit, hope it encourages people to buy tickets as they are not selling well apart from the stalls, probably due for some offers soon.