Bolshoi, Mariinsky, Mikhailovsky

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're welcome, Alison. So far I haven't seen any more tickets being offered.

Mariinsky Festival

For me, a big suspense now is who will dance Odette/Odile in "Swan Lake". I had one wish 'granted' with Alina Cojocaru in "La Sylphide", but I still dream on. The wish that I've had for many years is that Veronika Part (formerly Mariinsky, now ABT) would be invited. She did finally return to the Mariinsky last year to perform this and I tried about everything that I could to be there, but didn't quite make it.

On reason for wishing this, besides the fact that I think Veronika Part is one of the best ballerinas in the world, is that I've seen her perform Odette/Odile maybe five times and each performance was Outstanding ! But !! the last time that I saw her perform it, in New York City several years ago, it simply was 'Not To Be Believed' ! I wrote many pages elsewhere saying why.

I would guess that the Mariinsky already has someone in mind, but I'll keep hoping.

There are also so many fine 'in house' choices. Ulyana Lopatkina (possibly the best choice in the world, but she is dancing something else), Ekaterina Kondaurova (perhaps destined to be one of the greatest), Alina Somova (capable of being one of the greatest) and Viktoria Tereshkina (exceptional) come to mind immediately.

There are also many non Mariinsky ballerinas that could be outstanding. There's maybe an aura at the Mariinsky that makes for greatness. I remember seeing Gillian Murphy from ABT perform Odette/Odile about five years ago. I'd seen her do this before and she was excellent, but at the Mariinsky, about a half year later, she was Great(!) and continued to be for the next two or three years that I was able to see her. It really seemed that performing at the Mariinsky Festival somehow begged her to take it to another level and she did !

So let's see what happens this year.

Edited by Buddy

I've been writing a lot about David Hockney, in his latest 'incarnation' as landscape artist and possible 'choreographer', in the "What's Happening" topic. What a great idea if he could attend this Mariinsky Festival. Between the performances, the enchantment of Saint Petersburg and the endless expanses of Russian countryside, he could probably delight us and himself for years. He apparently knows some folks in the UK dance world because of his recent filming of them. If one of you happens to be reading this, maybe you could float the idea by him. Another dream, perhaps, but why not ?

I mentioned Veronika Part and Gillian Murphy in my above post. It occurs to me that some folks may have seen some of the exact performing that I mentioned at the ABT "Swan Lake"s in London in the summer of 2009. If so I hope that you share at least some of my enthusiasm for them and can understand why I loved Gillian Murphy so much at the 2008 Festival and would love to see Veronika Part at this one. I believe that Ian posted somewhat similar feelings about Gillian Murphy.

Also I mentioned a Bejart dancer, Julien Favreau, (the company will be at this Festival) who impressed me very much at the Paris 'Aid to Japan' Gala last May. I've got to throw in that Carlos Acosta was also there and he was Dynamite(!) in "Russell Maliphant Two". His might have been the performance of the evening and it was one that made me think that if he ever went modern he could make huge waves. I'm not sure if he's been to a Mariinsky Festival, but it seems like a very good idea.

Edited by Buddy

I saw Veronika Part in the ABT London Season just before her much deserved promotion to Principal - of all the casts I wanted to she her because of what I had read about her and I also wanted to see Max (Beselerovsky) and Irina (Dvorovenko) because I had seen them in Berlin at Malakov & Friends Gala. Veronika was very good as I recall but I don't remember much detail now but her 32 fouettes were pulled off really well because I remember telling her so at the stage door! Hope ABT come back the UK sometime soon.

I'm very glad that you liked 'Veronika', Don Q Fan, and were kind enough to tell her so. I'm sure that she appreciated it. I've seen her do amazing stuff on stage and when the audience gives her an enthusiastic response, her face seems to be saying, "Did you really like it that much ? Thank you."

I've watched Irina Dvorovenko dance several times and the performance that surprised me the most was a "Giselle" (with great assistance from her husband, Maxim Beloserkovsky), that again was one of the best "Giselle"s that I've seen.

The Mariinsky, by the way, will be performing several weeks in the US in October, two weeks of "Swan Lake" in California and one week of "Cinderella" in Washington DC. I hope to be back in California by then and could handle as much as possible of a week of Mariinsky "Swan Lakes" in the nearby community just fine.

http://www.ardani.co...ariinsky.php

Zvetlana Zakharova tickets ( for April 2), "La Bayadere", in Paris are again available.

(but I've been unable to get through using my 'account number' which was confirmed as being valid several days ago. If someone else has better luck, please let me know. Another option is to telephone.)

http://www.operadepa...r/Distribution/

Edited by Buddy

hmmm the zakharova ones gone again by the time i looked but thanks v much for the info - a very nice seat third row of stalls was going for the 19th march a few moments ago if anyone needs one! not my favourite cast tho for that one

hmmm the zakharova ones gone again by the time i looked but thanks v much for the info - a very nice seat third row of stalls was going for the 19th march a few moments ago if anyone needs one! not my favourite cast tho for that one

Yes, the Svetlana Zakharova tickets are gone again. At least you were able to get through. I may telephone the POB if I really decide on a performance (telephone 08 92 89 90 90 (0.34 euro per minute) in France ? or maybe 033 1 40 01 25 72 outside France) .

Edited by Buddy

If you are in Paris you may be able to get a ticket outside in the street before the performance you want - or on Ebay France - I managed to get one on Ebay for the Bolshoi Don Q last year - and at the perfs of Don Q and Flames of Paris I saw there were loads of people selling spares outside.

If you are in Paris you may be able to get a ticket outside in the street before the performance you want - or on Ebay France - I managed to get one on Ebay for the Bolshoi Don Q last year - and at the perfs of Don Q and Flames of Paris I saw there were loads of people selling spares outside.

I've been warned by someone who posts regularly about ballet on the internet in France, not to buy tickets outside the Opera de Paris (Palais Garnier) because you can be cheated. I'm just passing this on for what it's worth, Don Q Fan. I'll certainly keep Ebay France in mind. Thank you.

It seems that you can always get tickets until the last minute from a ticket agent, but you may pay at least double the price for a popular performance. Where these tickets go at the last minute is something that I have some thoughts about, but I try not to take advantage of this possibility.

Edited by Buddy

Another dancer who lingers in my mind as a great choice for an Odette/Odile invitee to the Mariinsky Festival is Polina Semionova (Bolshoi Ballet School, Principal with the Berlin State Opera). From written reports she made an extremely fine impression doing this last summer in NYC with the ABT.

Buddy, you no doubt remember Polina Semionova danced La Bayadere with Igor Zelensky in the Mariinsky Festival several years ago. Apparently, she is leaving the Berlin State Opera at the end of this season and is due to join the Mikhailovsky.

I was also informed that for the second of the Bejart Ballet Lausanne's performances in the Mariinsky Festival, Julien Favreau will dance "Bolero".

Edited by Kevin Ng

Buddy, you no doubt remember Polina Semionova danced La Bayadere with Igor Zelensky in the Mariinsky Festival several years ago. Apparently, she is leaving the Berlin State Opera at the end of this season and is due to join the Mikhailovsky.

I was also informed that for the second of the Bejart Ballet Lausanne's performances in the Mariinsky Festival, Julien Favreau will dance "Bolero".

Yes, I do remember, Kevin. Thanks. In NYC she was supposed to have gone way beyond even that from what I've read.

Glad to hear that Julien Favreau will dance "Bolero" with the Bejart Company. I thought that he was quite special last year in Paris.

It's Official !

* Alina Somova *

and Matthew Golding

"Swan Lake"

Bravi !

Viktoria Tereshkina and Alexander Sergeyev

"Le Parc"

(I actually guessed that it would be Viktoria Tereshkina this morning while I was looking at the performance schedule. That leaves Ekaterina Kondaurova. Maybe "Prodigal Son" or "Ballet Imperial" with Oksana Skorik doing the other. Does that seem possible, Kevin? )

http://www.mariinsky...allet_fest_229/

Added later:

Alexander Volchkov will be Svetlana Zakharova's partner in "La Bayadere".

Edited by Buddy

I guessed wrong. Night One

"The Prodigal Son"

Teresa Reichlen (New York City Ballet)

Daniel Ulbricht (New York City Ballet)

Great!

"Ballet Imperial"

Viktoria Tereshkina, Olesya Novikova, Yevgeny Ivanchenko

Viktoria Tereshkina will certainly be carrying a full load with this and "Le Parc", but she's done it before at Festivals and she's done it beautifully! So have other fine Mariinsky dancers. Where's Ekaterina ?

"Symphony in C" has been added to "An evening with Gennady Selyutsky

In the Night. Divertissement". Ekaterina?

And more names....

(click on names of ballets)

"Swan Lake"

Odette-Odile: Alina Somova

Siegfried: Matthew Golding (The Het National Ballet)

Rothbart: Konstantin Zverev

The Prince’s friends: Yana Selina, Olesya Novikova, Filipp Stepin

Joker: Vasily Tkachenko

"Anna Karenina"

Anna Karenina: Ulyana Lopatkina

Alexei Karenin: Islom Baimuradov

Count Vronsky: Andrei Yermakov

Princess Shcherbatskaya (Kitty): Maria Shirinkina

Stepan Oblonsky (Steve): Dmitry Pykhachov

Daria Oblonskaya (Dolly): Xenia Ostreikovskaya

Konstantin Levin: Alexei Timofeyev

Princess Betsy: Sofia Gumerova

"La Bayadere"

Gamzatti: Anastasia Matvienko

(Very glad to see that she is still dancing, even though her husband is now directing another company.)

"La Sylphide"

also

Effie: Nadezhda Batoeva

Medge: Elena Bazenova

Gurn: Dmitry Pykhachov

http://www.mariinsky...allet_fest_229/

Edited by Buddy

* Ekaterina *

At last, some Ekaterina Kondaurova Mariinsky Festival sightings. "In The Night" and "Symphony in C".

And Evgenia Obraztsova(!) -- Divertissment -- Brava !

Also the complete list of dancers for "An evening with Gennady Selyutsky".

(This is quite a list of Stars. I'm still hoping to see Daria Pavlenko, Ekaterina Osmolkina, Anastasia Kolegova, Svetlana Ivanova....and two younger Stars, Oksana Skorik and Daria Vasnetsova make an appearance. There is so much amazing talent at the Mariinsky that I guess everyone can't be on stage all the time, but it would be nice.)

"In The Night" (Jerome Robbins)

Maria Shirinkina, Viktor Baranov,

Alina Somova, Yevgeny Ivanchenko,

Yekaterina Kondaurova, Danila Korsuntsev

Divertissement ( This would appear to be a mini Gala. Just fine ! )

Ulyana Lopatkina, Svetlana Zakharova , Viktoria Tereshkina, Olga Yesina, Yevgenia Obraztsova , Alina Somova, Vera Arbuzova, Igor Kolb, Danila Korsuntsev, Alexei Timofeyev, Alexander Sergeyev, Andrei Kasyanenko, Andrei Yermakov and Béjart Ballet Lausanne’s soloists

"Symphony in C" (George Balanchine)

Alina Somova, Alexander Sergeyev,

Yekaterina Kondaurova, Yevgeny Ivanchenko,

Olesya Novikova, Alexei Popov,

Maria Shirinkina, Alexei Timofeyev

http://www.mariinsky...12/3/29/1_1900/

Edited by Buddy

Mariinsky Festival -- Swans and Butterflies

These are two groupings among many that I love. Some of the finest examples today will be at the Mariinsky Festival.

*Swans*

They are usually tall these days and statuesque. Also in a broader sense, they have danced 'Swans'.

Today's Swans

Ulyana Lopatkina

Svetlana Zakharova

Ekaterina Kondaurova/Alina Somova

Tomorrow's Swans

Oksana Skorik

Daria Vasnetsova

Olga Smirnova (not listed so far to be at the Festival)

'The' Historic Swans

(They will not be at the Festival and they were not tall)

Anna Pavlova

Galina Ulanova

*Butterflies*

They are not tall. They are enchanting.

Today's Butterflies

Alina Cojocaru

Evgenia Obraztsova

Myriam Ould-Braham (probably won't be at Festival)

Tomorrow's Butterflies

Maria Shirinkina

Historic Butterflies

(My knowledge of this group is probably very limited and most likely it includes a large number of historic greats, when ballerinas weren't tall)

One that I love watching on the internet.

Irina Kolpakova ("Raymonda")

Edited by Buddy

Berlin State Ballet has confirmed that Polina Semionova is leaving the company after this season, though her contract had already been extended until summer 2013. No official information where she is going, and judging by the sound of the press release Vladimir Malakhov seems to be rather annoyed.

I can understand Malakhov being annoyed - he "found" Polina and put her her where she is. I wonder if the fact she got married last year has something to do with it all. Her new husband (not in the ballet world??) may have commitments and she would naturally wish to be where he is? Let's not forget that at 28 she is not a young dancer anymore and if she wants a family we may expect to see less of her.

And back to the Mariinsky for a moment.

Tomorrow's 'Angels'

Oksana Skorik and Daria Vasnetsova

Still no sightings of these two young ladies in the Festival listings. Both already have Odette/Odile ("Swan Lake") in their repertoires. At last year's Festival Oksana Skorik danced a beautiful Princess Florine (Bluebird Duet - "Sleeping Beauty") and an excellent Dryad Queen ("Don Quixote"). Daria Vasnetsova was a very fine Street Dancer ("Don Quixote') and a breathtaking Myrta ("Giselle"). Two of these ballets will not be performed this year. It would be great if they could find a place for these wonderful young ladies somewhere.

Maria Shirinkina

She marvelously danced in the first couple -- "In the Night" last year (along with four other supporting performances) and will be dancing it again this year. She'll also be in "Symphony in C" the same evening.

and, yes !....

Olga Smirnova

Having just graduated from the Vaganova Academy, she has already danced The Lilac Fairy ("Sleeping Beauty") and Nikiya ("La Bayadere"), maybe more, at the Bolshoi.

Edited by Buddy

Polina's husband is a dancer in the corps de ballet of Berlin State Ballet. And if she wants to have a family, then the best thing would be to stay in the company, where she gets paid during her absence - as a freelance dancer she only gets paid for her performances. I think it's for money reasons - Malakhov gave her every opportunity for guesting, but that may not have been enough.

Videos uploaded by the Bolshoi. "Le Corsaire" this Sunday can be seen live. (Here?)

http://www.youtube.com/user/bolshoi

(posted at ballet alert)

Added comment:

According to Dansomanie "Le Corsaire" live will not be available on line outside Russia. If I find more information I will try to post it. In any case you can enjoy the other good stuff now.

Edited by Buddy

Olga Smirnova

She's 18 year's old(?), just graduated from the Vaganova Academy, made an instant Bolshoi Soloist and debuted in the lead (Nikiya) of "La Bayadere" March 4.

The Beauty and Expression of her Dancing

Is

Mind Boggling !

From a quick look at her at the Galina Ulanova Gala in London last year and some internet video clips of her "La Bayadere" this year, I feel that...

This Young Lady

Is

Incredible !!!!

Edited by Buddy

Festspielhaus Baden-Baden has announced the programme for the annual Mariinsky tour:

21.12.2012 Le Parc

22./23.12.2012 Swan Lake

25./26.12.(mat+ev) 2012 Nutcracker

27.12.2012 Gala

www.festspielhaus.de

• 4 months later...

Thanks for this, DQF - I was thinking this thread had been rather quiet recently. Do we have any actual dates - or even better, repertory - confirmed yet? I know at least one person who will be wanting to put them in her diary as soon as possible.