Yorkshire Ballet Seminar

Guesty

Hi,

New to this forum so Hello to all!

I wondered if anyones daughter or son was applying for the Yorkshire Seminars this Summer - My Daughters teacher has recommended she apply there or Elmhurst - does anyone have any experience of either?

Thanks.

Hi there,

I have no experience of the Elmhurst Summer School but my daughter has attended YBSS for the past 4 years and has every intention of applying again for this year. I can't recommend it highly enough - she has loved it every year she's gone. Marguerite Porter is lovely. The teachers are all highly experienced professionals. How old is your daughter?

My son's done both and I also know lots of people who have done both. YBS certainly has people going back year after year - the training's really good and the students have a great time. My son only went once - mainly because they hadn't got sprung flooring then and he was suffering with his knees at the time and then since that Elmhurst started theirs and he decided to go there this year instead, having heard great things about it from the year before (he's at Elmhurst sixth form, so we had the added advantage of having his flat so didn't have to pay for boarding).

Unfortunately Elmhurst only take the older students (was it 14 and over?) so I'd recommend YBS for anyone younger - but would definitely recommend Elmhurst for the older students, lovely facilities and BRB company teaching alongside Elmhurst teachers :) - but then I am a bit biased!!

• Like 2

My son's done both and I also know lots of people who have done both. YBS certainly has people going back year after year - the training's really good and the students have a great time. My son only went once - mainly because they hadn't got sprung flooring then and he was suffering with his knees at the time and then since that Elmhurst started theirs and he decided to go there this year instead, having heard great things about it from the year before (he's at Elmhurst sixth form, so we had the added advantage of having his flat so didn't have to pay for boarding).

Unfortunately Elmhurst only take the older students (was it 14 and over?) so I'd recommend YBS for anyone younger - but would definitely recommend Elmhurst for the older students, lovely facilities and BRB company teaching alongside Elmhurst teachers :) - but then I am a bit biased!!

My DS, now 16 and at Central School of Ballet, has been to YBSS for the past three years and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Coming from a non vocational background it gave him the chance to live away from home for one or two weeks, dance all the time and meet others from vocational schools.

At YBSS the accommodation was in the University Halls of residence close by. He had quite a bit of freedom after classes were finished so could leave the site and go and walk about York, but did have to be back at a certain time.

We chose YBSS over Elmhurst because of the dates and of going on holiday.

• Like 1

My DD was not old enough to do Elmhurst last year but has done YBS and loved every minute of it! Beautiful place to do a summer school (we are lucky enough to live half an hour drive away but DD chose to board for the experience). There are some amazing dancers - it was wonderful to watch the classes and performance at the end of the week. The teaching is exceptional.

Students age 14 and over are allowed out into York (it is in central York).

Also they offer 2 different weeks.

I would love my DD to be able to go back again. :)

F x

• Like 1

both my dd have attended Ybs for years they love the teaching and meeting up with their friends from other schools. My younger dd also attended Elmhurst summer school the 1st year it was run she found it really good and helpful to know the schools when it came round to auditionsxx

As the YBS request a hefty registration fee, if you wanted to apply for the scholorship auditions 'just in case' you got lucky I cant see how it is possible to apply without paying out money you could loose? Perhaps you cant?

Anyone have any knowledge at all of their system before I start sending emails to YBS?

we got a full refund for turning them down before they had sent out acceptances (after applying DS was accepted at one of his other prefered choices)- not sure whether they refund after acceptance but certainly they are very quick at replying to emails as I recall, so why not ask them... it's a perfectly reasonable question - if you can't afford to attend without a scholarship you certainly can't afford to lose £200.....

My DD won a week's scholarship for last year's seminars. From what I recall, I THINK the email they sent to say she had got the scholarship said something along the lines of "if you have already paid this will be refunded." Something like that. Email was deleted a long time ago now! It wasn't really relevant to us because I hadn't paid yet! But I am sure they would refund the registration fee - better ask them, but they are very nice and I'm sure they would. they are particularly supportive of boys, too.

They could do with making all that a bit clearer - as we were certainly put off for a couple of years because you had to pay hundreds of pounds before you knew whether they'd got a scholarship. If there was a chance we could've waited to see what the outcome of the scholarship audition was we would have gone for it (because as CeliB said - we could only afford it if he'd got a scholarship, so there was no way we could risk losing £200)

Doesn't matter now for us, but something to think about for future students.

Well I guess I have nothing to loose by asking them directly - I just wondered if I was missing something in the application process. I don't mind loosing £25 or so but it seems mad to perhaps throw away a three figure some.

I was approaching it along the lines of good audition experience with an added incentive. I will let you know if I get any information from them.

• Like 1