Cat-alogue

taxi4ballet

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was vile! Really turned my stomach. And I really couldn't believe just how many of the wriggly little maggots there were. Cat just flicked her tail and stalked off leaving me to deal with it. Little "I told you so" I think.

• Like 1

LinMM - thanks for posting this I adore big cats and this reminded me of when I worked at a riding stable/rescue centre.  The owner had various wild animals including big cats.  They had a Lynx when I first went there but eventually got a lioness, followed by a tiger.  I used to carry the lioness cub, Tina, around in my arms when she was little, well I supported her rear end and she kind of had her paws on my shoulder!  The only picture I have of Tina is the last time I took her for her "walk".  By this time she was too big for me to carry so I have her on a lead.  This is also the last time I took her out as she was getting a bit too much for me to handle.  She lived for many years, and was replaced by the tiger when she died, I had married and moved away by this time. 

• Like 4

Wow!  I would love to handle a lion cub, handled a baby croc recently but not the same.  I can't get over the fact that big cats purr just like a common or garden moggy, it seems incongruous somehow.

I've petted tiger cubs and a young adult at Paradise Park in Herts but Elf and Safety doesn't allow it anymore, sadly. Kalush was superb and totally under the control of his keeper Ian. I pity those who are not allowed to do this and it has lost the park a considerable income ;(

• Like 1

I've petted tiger cubs and a young adult at Paradise Park in Herts but Elf and Safety doesn't allow it anymore, sadly. 

Years and years ago, when Paradise was still called Broxbourne Zoo, some friends and I went to a CB Radio (remember that?) rally, and we camped in the grounds of the zoo.

Nobody got any sleep - we were all kept awake by the sound of the lions roaring. Talk about the hairs standing up on the back of your neck - we all suffered from an instinctive primal fear from somewhere deep in the human gene pool that night!! :blink:

edited for hopeless punctuation!

Edited by taxi4ballet
  • Like 2

Funny you should say that, Taxi...none of our pets would come near us and we had to put our clothes in the washing machine and have showers before they would stay in the same room. It was as if the scent of the tigers screamed "Major predator!" to them :(

• Like 1

Remember coming home from a long day at the riding stables and my mother refusing to let me in the house.  I had been cuddling a fox cub and it had wet on me.  I had to go round the back and take my jeans off before I was allowed in the house! 

• Like 4

Update on Poppy.  After her scan to ascertain the levels of kidney function (not good at all) she went and got herself stuck under our neighbours gate!  The gate had to be taken off as there was not other way to get her out.  Then she started to refuse food and on the rare occasions she ate she was eating on one side and there was this awful noise. We took her to the vet in case there was something wrong with her teeth (there is but she can't have an anaesthetic because of the kidneys) painkilling injection and antibiotics.   I made the decision not to put her in cattery and we delayed our trip to fetch dd back from school - we had been going to spend the week up there.  Took her to the vets again thinking this was the end but 4 days on a drip and she is so much better. The vets have a policy where you can visit your pet which was a bit weird - can't take a cat a bunch of grapes! Now asking for food although not eating a lot and doing all the things she did before instead of just looking miserable.  I missed fetching dd back  - dh went on his own but so glad that Poppy is enjoying life again apart from the tablets she has to take and the constant visits to the vets!  Don't know how long she has but at the moment her quality of life is good. :)

• Like 6

That's good to hear, porthesia. Hopefully she'll stay well for a long time.

About visiting, I remember only one vet asking us to do that, afer Estella and her brothers were sterilised. The two boys seemed uninterested but she was so pleased to see us that I realised she thought she'd been abandoned. They only stayed there for two days but we went back and visited again a couple of times to reassure her. 

• Like 1

Vets do seem to like people to visit now, maybe it works in the same way as pet visitors being allowed in hospitals, as they've found that stroking a pet brings your blood pressure down, makes you feel better & really helps with recovery

• Like 1

It certainly helped my dad the other way round when he was a bit non compos mentis in his last months....when he was allowed to visit his cat who was on an antibiotic drip. I think it reassured dad that we hadn't taken his cat away from him after all!!

Ah - just discovered this thread, having been posting for a while on ballet! I have a beautiful jet black cat called Pushkin. He was a rescue cat from RSPCA some 7 years ago, now aged about 10. He was stuck at RSPCA for months, as he was so shy and nervous. They'd called him 'Tink'. I wanted something more literary so renamed him Pushkin when I adopted him. He's still very shy with strangers but fine with me.

I named my cat Pushkin because it sounded good, I love the ballet Onegin and love the real life Pushkin as a writer and poet. But when I named my cat I forgot Pushkin died in a duel!  But my Pushkin could not be more timid - no duels for him, no love interests (he's neutered!), no strong emotions whatsoever except for food.....!!!

But he does seem to like classical music. He sat down in front of the TV last year for one of the Proms and appeared to watch it!

• Like 2

A bit similar to when named my cat Toscar I liked the sound of it but knew nothing about opera at the time so hadn't realised that Tosca was a female!! So I added the "r" and he became Toscar!! He was a beautiful cat mostly pale greyish colour.....his father was a lilac Siamese and mother a blue Burmese and he had the best traits of these two breeds I thought.

Apologies to those who know this already!

The reason I chose him which have not revealed before was when I went to view the kittens in Wanstead they were 8 weeks old and in a huge Penn thing in the back room and he climbed up the side of this penn and reached the top first and wanted picking up whereupon he purred and purred and I thought well he has chosen me really! The owner had to mark him with indelible pen as I could not take him for another four weeks until he was 12 weeks old which is usual I think for reputable breeders etc. He was a great purrer all his life.

In almost exactly the opposite scenario my first cat was the "reject" of the litter. My parents were looking for another cat and I heard there was a litter with a ginger Tom in so went round and there were six kittens all different colours more or less so I said I would like the Tom for my parents. When we eventually went to collect there was only one unspoken for. A few days later I rang up and he was still there so I decided to have him. That was "pussy" who never got a proper name so stayed with that name much to the amusement of some Scottish rugby players on the tube when I was making a journey with him once and they asked me what his name was!!! Pussy was a tabby with quite a bit of black.

• Like 1

Yes I remember "mivvy's" I'm not sure though if a mivvy had only strawberry ice over the ice cream or were there other flavours?

Today there a great lolly- ice cream with mango as the ice flavour over vanilla ice cream and I must be having one of these"senior moments" because I can't think for the life of me what it's called!! Will report back as its an excuse to have one tomorrow on way back from class!!

My parents always had ginger cats....at one time two of them together and all very different markings etc.

The modern day mango "mivvy" is called a solero.

I didn't have one today in the end as it was pouring with rain on way back from class so not a sit on the beach with a mivvy sort of pm. As had hoped :(

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...