Cat-alogue

taxi4ballet

Our vet told my husband recently that only vets sell the full strength version of Frontline. It used to last for six weeks. Now it is only four and it is directly due to pet shops selling the weaker, cheaper version of it.

Oh wow. We have two pet superstores near us.They both sell it. More or less the same price, for six, that I saw on Ebay. One thing that we did buy from the vets the other day was room flea spray in a can. Kills the eggs as well as the fleas so gets them both at the same time. It wasn't cheap. About £12. It's called PermaGuard. It is made locally by a world renowned pharmaceutical company set up by a Newry man, Lord Ballyedmond, and are still based here, called Norbrook Laboratories. But then you wonder if the vets are plugging it and only it because they want people to buy it because of the Norbrook name.

Edited by Lisa O`Brien

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how readily available Frontline is other than from a Vet.  That is where I have bought mine from.  Just a capsule to break open and apply the liquid to the back of the neck.

It is available over the counter from Pets at Home (and similar shops, probably) and online from Petmeds, Medicanimal, and others.  No prescription is required but you will have to "register" your pet and obviously select the size of Frontline according to the animal's weight.  Take it from me, online is considerably cheaper than the vet.  Not sure about over the counter - I've only bought it from a shop once when I had a voucher!

• Like 2

Our semi-feral cat Thomas would have stuff coming from every orifice when he went anywhere - usually managed to get it over Poppy as well - I thought we were the only sufferers as he is the only cat I've had this problem with!

In the end I had to stop taking them to the luxurious cattery (well I thought it was as they had nice chalets with a good distance between them and the next resident) to the cattery which was closest - 1 mile away - sometimes he'd make it ..... sometimes not!! I used to take a roll of kitchen paper and antiseptic spray and the ubiquitous Tesco's carrier in the boot of my car on every trip. Still keep kitchen roll in the car to this day and he's been gone 12 years! I also keep in the boot of my car the plastic liners I got from Notcutts Garden centre for when I got to other less discriminating garden centres - they've been very useful - they're square and double the thickness of a carrier bag. Also in the boot of my car .......!!

I was using Frontline bought from Amazon ... no fleas. .. vet persuaded me to use Broadline. .. within 3days both cats infested. YUCK!

My friend is a head vet nurse and she recommended we use Advantage; bought it on Amazon and after i had combed, combed and combed again for several days, put the drops on .... problem solved. She also recommended Indorex flea spray as something to spray in house. Said it was badically the same as the vets sell, but cheaper. Again, bought from Amazon. Apparently single spray lasts 6mths... instantly stopped any more fleas being in the house.

I was using Frontline bought from Amazon ... no fleas. .. vet persuaded me to use Broadline. .. within 3days both cats infested. YUCK!

My friend is a head vet nurse and she recommended we use Advantage; bought it on Amazon and after i had combed, combed and combed again for several days, put the drops on .... problem solved. She also recommended Indorex flea spray as something to spray in house. Said it was badically the same as the vets sell, but cheaper. Again, bought from Amazon. Apparently single spray lasts 6mths... instantly stopped any more fleas being in the house.

That's interesting.  I thought you needed a prescription for Advantage which means persuading a vet to give you a prescription (for a fee) and that adds to the cost of the treatment.  

Did you get it from Amazon without prescription?

Anne - having just gone to the Amazon checkout, it does not ask for a prescription.  I'll have to try this, as our cat eats lots of rabbits and hence constantly picks up fleas; this product seems to be targeted at larger animals (mentions pet rabbits over 4kg), which is perhaps where Frontline has been failing us.

imidacloprid is the active ingredient in Advantage.

fipronil Is the active ingredient in Frontline.

Viovet website has info pages about how each works to kill the flea and other parasites.

Also info about the need to treat home as they will only kill the fleas on the animal and not those at various stages of life cycle living in bedding, carpets etc.

This thread is enough to put you off living with a cat!

• Like 4

I don't know whether this is generally true or not but based on my own experience there are definitely some cats who seem to attract more flees than others! My first cat was a bit of a nightmare and come August flees were definitely going to be around!!

But my more oriental cat Toscar hardly ever had flees and I don't know why.

Maybe it's a similar thing to humans .....some seem to get eaten alive by mozzies and others virtually untouched!

• Like 3

That's interesting.  I thought you needed a prescription for Advantage which means persuading a vet to give you a prescription (for a fee) and that adds to the cost of the treatment.  

Did you get it from Amazon without prescription?

Didn't need a prescription. I got 'for cats and dogs less than 4kg' dose.

If you buy from a registered online pharmacy you can be assured that your (vet) medicine is what it claims to be and that it has been stored correctly. You need to look for a text box (usually in green) which will give the registration number and you can double check that on the GPhC website. It's no different to buying from your local pharmacy but as the overheads are less is often cheaper. I wouldn't buy from eBay at all, you could be buying anything and who knows where it will have come from! If your vet can recommend a vet supplier that will be fine too but I don't think there is a way to check credentials if you find them online. Obviously the vet does have a vested interest in you buying from them. A few years ago there was a ruling that they must give a prescription if asked for one to try and introduce competition to decrease the mark ups applied. Unfortunately a number of vets now charge a large amount to write the prescription (which obviously isn't charged if you buy the medication from them). Always worth shopping around! I haven't had a cat for a long time but frontline certainly used to be exactly the same if you bought it from the pet shop

A friend of ours' Burmese has been getting them into hot water with the local golf club by lurking in the bushes then nicking the golf balls as they roll past.  He's now even featured in the Daily Mail! : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3795454/The-golf-club-cat-burglar-Merlin-ruining-players-rounds-running-fairway-stealing-balls.html

• Like 6

Aaah that cat looks so like my cat Toscar (now deceased) if you just substitute two tones of grey instead....but face is so similar!!

Naughty Merlin!

I've just come back from Aldeburgh and didn't see Merlin unfortunately but my partner and I think it's "dog town"

So many dogs!! South wold has loads of dogs too so must be a Suffolk thing!!

I've even started recognising dogs from the last time we visited!

There's a couple who frequent the pub next to the fish and chip shop who I've seen a few times before!

We also went to a car boot on the Sunday near Friday Street and there were loads of dogs there too.....they must love it catching up with their mates on a Sunday!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I've just been to see the film of A Street Cat Named Bob - brilliant film, and starring the real Bob as himself. A lot of it was filmed in and around Covent Garden.

Really good. try and go to see it if you can. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing it this weekend. Saw some of it being filmed when had to kill time in Covent Garden.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Advice please cat people.

I've got a neutered tom cat who was a stray in village for a year before moving in 5 years ago. He is thought to be a Maine Coone because of his build, look and behaviour. Two other much older rescue cats in household who are 'special' and have never bonded with him but will pinch his food from under his nose whilst he stands there looking bewildered. Hence he has to be feed away from them to stand a chance.

Two months ago he had to spend 5 nights in the vets as he had an urinary blockage. Initially he wasn't interested in food and the vet nurses decided to sit with him every time they feed him, talking and stroking him. They all got very fond of him and I think enjoyed spoiling him - a couple of them offered to take him if we no longer wanted him. Not likely he is the nicest cat I've ever owned.

Anyway my problem is he now won't eat without company. He has to have a human in the room with him making reassuring noises. If you leave room he comes with you. I've tried moving away over days but if you reach door way he leaves and comes with me. Tried closing him in room with food but he still doesn't eat it.

In every other way he is back to full health. Spent today climbing trees, chasing leaves and running around garden.

Any ideas how to manage this as it is time consuming standing in kitchen whilst he eats especially in mornings when trying to get out of house? Also would like to put them in cattery soon. I know cattery owner would sit with him but it seems such an imposition as he seems to taste every morsel.

Have you tried one of the plug in things which is meant to calm cats?

Not for this problem so might be worth a try.

Haven't had much success with them with other cats in the past. But then again our favourite cattery has them in every chalet and all seem happy and content when I collect.

• 1 month later...

Our 'village' has just acquired something called a Cat Café. Apparently such places are very popular, although I have never visited one or heard of them until recently.

The premises had been empty, bordering on derelict for about ten years and situated next to a busy road. It seems there is some sort of double door entry system, whereby customers can get in and out but the cats cannot. I passed by earlier and saw a cat sitting on the windowsill, looking up at the small but open window.

Apart from the hygiene aspect, I am concerned for the safety and welfare of these cats given how fleet of foot they can be! I don't know if they are taken somewhere else at night, or locked in cages. No one seems to know.

It just seems to me to be an inappropriate way to keep cats, which from my experience like their privacy and the outdoors. The owners have said the cats are chosen from rescue shelters, particularly for calm temperaments and ability to live in groups! How are they fixed for damages/insurance if the cat decides it isn't a team player after all and somebody gets bitten or whatever. There are no obvious signs saying you enter at your peril.

I would be interested to know if anyone has visited such a café and if so, what they thought of it. The speed with which the local one has been set up leads me to think it won't be there long, for a variety of reasons.

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 1

I think they are completely inappropriate, Jacqueline. Cats are private animals and if they give you their friendship, that's wonderful. However to force them to be sociable with people they don't know or want to know strikes me as a form of abuse.

• Like 2

From what I can gather, they have several cats "free" to wander round the cafe as they please. Presumably they are not allowed on the counter but who knows. It all sounds wrong to me, like something thought up as a gimmick by someone who knows nothing about cats or really cares about their welfare.

Anyway, I work in the same building as our local rag and have mentioned it to their reporter who said he hadn't heard about the cafe opening - if they could find a pulse I'm sure they'd have their finger on it - but would look into it. I will hold him to that!

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 3

We have one near us. Although I've never been in I see from the outside that the cat section is partitioned off from the food section. If you want to spend time with the cats you pay a little extra. I must say that whenever I walk past the cats seem  contented. Lots of comfy beds, scratch poles etc and they have little 'cat holes' in the wall where presumably they can retire to if they want to be alone. They are all rescue cats and probably enjoying nicer conditions now than previously. Of course it all depends on the manager. I believe it is a trend which began in Japan.

• Like 1

Yes, Ellie is right, it started in Japan. They opened one in Totnes near us. I never went in but I passed it many times. I have to say that the cats appeared to be lapping up the attention, and as Ellie says, they had scratching posts, cat trees, toys etc. but also places to escape to if they didn't feel like interacting with people. The website said they were taken "home" each night, and each cat had been chosen carefully for having the right sort of temperament to be in that situation. That particular cafe became so popular that they were asking people to book a visit in advance. Then all of a sudden it closed down so I don't know what happened.

• Like 1