Cat-alogue

taxi4ballet

I reported a pet shop once, (which had a bunch of miserable-looking weepy-eyed young kittens in a dog crate in the middle of their shop) and was told by both the licensing local council and the RSPCA that they were operating within the law regarding animal welfare.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All our local RSPCA branch was ever concerned with was banning hunting, Aileen. The only time I tried to report a case of animal abuse to them I received the same reply that Taxi did.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Maybe this isn't the ideal place to put this, but has anyone seen the video of the cat being scared by a cucumber?!  I spotted it yesterday via Yahoo! - not sure whether it was actually on YouTube or not - and haven't had time to look it out again.

• Like 2

Maybe this isn't the ideal place to put this, but has anyone seen the video of the cat being scared by a cucumber?!  I spotted it yesterday via Yahoo! - not sure whether it was actually on YouTube or not - and haven't had time to look it out again.

Do you mean this one Alison?  HILARIOUS!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTzhAJTXOJA

• Like 3

Excellent. Blackie,my cat,loves nothing more than sitting next to me [like now] when I am on my laptop. She loves to watch kittens and puppies videos on You Tube. Has been known to spend over an hour watching different ones. I just keep clicking "cute kittens" or puppies and see what comes up next for her to watch.Sometimes,to teach her there is a whole other world out there,I will show her ones of cows or horses or something. She seems genuinely interested in them all. But when they start miaowing or barking she looks around the room ,wondering where the noise is coming from.

• Like 1

Our beautiful, darling cat Jessie died unexpectedly this morning after a mercifully brief illness. Always sweet-natured, she came to us from a rescue shelter aged 5 and spent ten happy years with us.

Farewell 'Best Pussy'.

:(

Taxi,I have only just read this today. I am so sorry. My Blackie is 15 . I`ve got it all to come,and i`m dreading it.

I just played a video of two new born otter pups(?) who were making the cutest noises. Both Amylabrador and Tessadog were very excited and started looking for the source of the noise.

Blackie sometimes likes watching ballet on You Tube as well. Especially pirouettes . Her ears prick up and she looks very interested. Her favourite seems to be the Dance of The Sugar Plum Fairy. 

• Like 1

Those videos are brilliant! I remember watching my cat Tynan, who we adopted from a rescue centre (initially he was terrified of everything) trying to stalk a bird; he crouched down determinedly, slowly slowly stalking closer and closer, until......

The bird- which was still 20 feet away- flew off; the sound of the leaves rustling as it took flight was too much for my poor kitty, who bolted back home in terror!! His hunting skills have vaguely improved since! :P

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

What *is* it about cucumbers?!  Is it some deeply buried reaction to snakes, or something?  Do courgettes have the same effect?  And marrows?

And what *is* is about the tops of fences that make cats so keen to perch on them even when they're only about half an inch wide?

• Like 2

In the summer I watched one of my cats creep sideways around the garden fence all bushed up whilst his partner in crime was interested in something by the wheelie bins. It was a metre long grass snake! One showed natural instincts and moved away, the other who is fairly dense was trying to pat it. Luckily for him it was not an adder.

The cat who crept away has also encountered cucumbers, hoses and hula hoops and not trusted them either.

• Like 1

One of my cats, shortly after we adopted him from a rescue centre, had his first attempt at stalking a bird. He was crouched, ready to pounce for the kill (the bird, who couldn't care less, was still a good 5 metres away)- the bird flew away & my poor kitty flew back through the door in terror! And no, his hunting skill hasn't improved since :P

• Like 2

We have a Sureflap cat flap which you can programme to the chip in their neck - no collars to worry about. They aren't cheap but are worth it for peace of mind. We are out at work all day so are not on the spot to chase out any unwanted intruders. If you shop around online you can get them a bit cheaper than if you purchase from the Sureflap website. But I would look at the website anyway as it has lots of useful information.

Edited by Balletfanp

It's quite surprising to me, that cats kill 55 millions birds in one year, in the UK alone. :o

Yes, it's the one downside of owning cats. We have woods behind us, and during the warmer months at least, my life consists of removing small furry/feathery/scaly/unidentifiable corpses from our dining room (which for some reason seems to be their favoured slaughter spot) - often presented to me with huge pride and loud miaows!

Oh, and sometimes they are still alive (and then need to be caught and removed - cue next half hour trying to track down and catch a small rodent that can get into inaccessible nooks and crannies!). Or half alive (infinitely worse....).

We are talking multiple incidents a day, often, during the summer. I've lost count of the rodents, but we have had lots of birds, a slow worm, three large (and apparently quite rare - oops!) dragonflies, and recently, a very large squirrel!

The worst is when they bring in something live and then lose it - we have no idea until a horrible smell begins to permeate the house and we then have to track down a very unpleasant corpse, or corpses....

And they are both such a soppy pair when indoors, it's hard to associate them with such widespread slaughter.

• Like 1