Friends

I registered recently and have been finding my way round the Forum. I'm not sure how the 'Friends' aspects work. What is the function of Friends' groups, and are Friends' updates just a rearrangement of selected postings, or something extra? Any advice would be appreciated.

Hello, Josephine, and welcome to the forum.  I'm not entirely sure what the point of the Friends is either, but have just added a couple of the Moderators as Friends.  If you click on my (non)-photo, can you see them listed?  I can, but I don't know whether that's restricted to me, or whether any forum member can see them too.  I know that on another IP forum I was on people used to add Friends, but I'm not sure whether that had benefits for anyone, or whether it just showed other people who you were particularly close to.

Perhaps one of the other Mods can tell us more ...

Thanks Alison, both for your welcome and for your helpful reply. I can see your friends when I click on your profile. Thanks also to John Mallinson and spannerandpony for replying. I was concerned that I might make a mistake because of not understanding the Friends function, but am now reassured that I can stop worrying!

• Like 1

Josephine:  Welcome from me too.  This Forum runs on a software package that we effectively lease by the month and, apart from an ability to organise matters on top of the basic operating system, we don't control it and can only assume that some of these functions have been added because other users thought they'd be a great idea.  (And we have also found that as the folk running it all change things, they sometimes introduce wrinkles elsewhere that are unhelpful to us!)

• Like 1

Thank you, Ian Macmillan, for this useful information explaining the context. I'm relieved that I don't need to be too concerned about the 'Friends' function after all, although Alison's suggestion sounds like a good one. Thanks also to you and to thequays for your kind welcome.