Dance Links w/b Sunday March 4, 2012

Links – Sunday March 4, 2012

Review - Mark Morris Dance Group, A Choral Fantasy, Four Saints in Three Acts, NY:

Tobi Tobias,
Arts Journal

Gia Kourlas,
New York Times

Review - Ballet Black, mixed bill, London:

Luke Jennings,
The Observer

Jenny Gilbert,
The Independent

Review - Richard Alston, mixed bill: Jenny Gilbert, The Independent

Reviews - La La La Human Steps and Les Ballets de Monte Carlo, NY: Leigh Witchel, Danceview Times

Review - Northern Ballet, Madame Butterfly: Jeffrey Taylor, Sunday Express

Review - Sarah Michelson, Devotion Study #1—The American Dancer, Whitney Museum, NY: Deborah Jowitt, Arts Journal

Preview - Ratmansky’s Firebird for ABT (and Misty Copeland): Diane Haithman, Los Angeles Times

Preview - Batsheva Dance Company, Hora, NY: Brian Schaefer, New York Times

Photo gallery - Richard Alston Dance Company, A Ceremony of Carols: Dave Morgan, DanceTabs

Photo gallery - Ballet Black, Storyville: Dave Morgan, DanceTabs

Review - hipsync (Diane Reid), Dance Interrogations, Adelaide: Simon Eales, Australian Stage

Review - Grupo Corpo, Onqoto and Parabelo, Perth: Julia Hern, Australian Stage

Review - Ballet San Jose, mixed bill: Rita Felciano, Contra Costa Times

Q&A - San Francisco Ballet Principal Dancer Joanna Berman: Geri Jeter, California Literary Review

Preview - Danza Contemporanea de Cuba, Birmingham: Diane Parkes, Birmingham Post

Sergei Polunin and ‘key-man risk’: Salamander Davoudi, Financial Times

Links – Monday March 5, 2012

Review - Russian Ballet Icons Gala: Celebrating Anna Pavlova, London: Ismene Brown, The Arts Desk

Review - Mark Morris Dance Group, A Choral Fantasy, NY: Apollinaire Scherr, Financial Times

Review - Los Angeles Ballet, Swan Lake: Victoria Looseleaf, LA Times

Review - Joffrey Ballet, mixed bill (Forsythe, Wheeldon, Liang): Natasha Gauthier, Ottawa Citizen

Review - Keigwin + Company, mixed bill: Sarah Kaufman, Washington Post

Review - NY City Center Flamenco Festival: Brian Seibert, NY Times

Review - Ballet San Jose, mixed bill: Steven Winn, San Francisco Chronicle

Cinemas open their screens to opera and ballet: Vanessa Thorpe, The Observer

Preview - Universal Ballet of Korea, Swan Lake, Johannesburg: Lynley Main, joburg.org

Links – Tuesday March 6, 2012

Review - Anna Pavlova Gala, London:

Sarah Crompton,
Telegraph

Clifford Bishop,
Evening Standard

Review - Dutch National Ballet, Present/s, Amsterdam: Rosyln Sulcas, New York Times

Review - Boston Ballet, Play with Fire: Keith Powers, Patriot Ledger

Review - Ballet Black, mixed bill:

Jann Parry,
DanceTabs

Clifford Bishop,
Evening Standard

Review - Los Angeles Ballet, Swan Lake: Laura Bleiberg, LA Weekly

Review - Northern Ballet, Madame Butterfly: Kevin Berry, The Stage

ENB’s residency at Tate Britain: Louise Levene, Telegraph

Review - Elektro Kif, hip hop, London:

3 stars, Judith Mackrell,
The Guardian

3 stars, Zoe Anderson,
Independent

Review - Compañía Rafaela Carrasco, NY Flamenco Festival 2012: Brian Seibert, New York Times

Liam Scarlett returns (to Miami): Ben Crandell, Sun Sentinel. MCB's 2012/13 schedule.

Interview - Pam Tanowitz, choreographer: Gia Kourlas, Time Out NY

Interview - Carlos Fittante, dancer: Zachary Whittenburg, Time Out Chicago

Serge Lifar and the Ballets Russes sale in Geneva: Colin Gleadell, The Telegraph, photo gallery

Six reasons why more men should attend the ballet: Carrie Seidman, Arts Sarasota

That Miami City Ballet programme is to drool for - Villela is certainly bowing out in wonderful style!

Now that we know San Francisco Ballet is making a return vist to the UK, would it be too much to hope that MCB might do the same with this particular programme?

In today's Telegraph, Serge Lifar's private collection of Ballets Russes material is about to be sold: http://www.telegraph...#?frame=2158787

Also, the Evening Standard on ENB's Tate Britain residency and Emerging Dancer competition: http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/arts/theatre/picasso-and-modern-british-art-enb-tate-britain--review-7541638.html?origin=internalSearch

Edited by alison

That Miami City Ballet programme is to drool for - Villela is certainly bowing out in wonderful style!

Now that we know San Francisco Ballet is making a return vist to the UK, would it be too much to hope that MCB might do the same with this particular programme?

I've emailed them and they would love to come especially as they've never danced in London - just a little matter of funding. Any millionaires about?

'...>especially as they've never danced in London...<'.

John, I'm pretty sure it was MCB I saw dance an all-Balanchine programme here in London in the early 1990s, and I'm pretty sure they were totally electrifying - young, sleek, fast and fresh - a revelation. I think it was the first time I had seen 'Theme and Variations' - I'll try to dig the programme out later.

Please don't tell me I dreamt all this....

Links – Wednesday March 7, 2012

Review - Nederlands Dans Theater 2, London: Judith Flanders, The Arts Desk

NDT2 and Paul Lightfoot: Rosyln Sulcas, New York Times

Review - Mark Morris Dance Group, Choral Fantasy, Four Saints in Three Acts: Robert Gottlieb, New York Observer

Review - Boston Ballet, Play with Fire (Elo, Kylian, Bruce): Alan Helms, DanceTabs

Review - Sarah Michelson, Devotion Study #1 – The American Dancer, New York:

Apollinaire Scherr,
Financial Times

Brian Seibert,
NY Times

Review - ENB Emerging Dancer Award 2010: Graham Watts, London Dance

Review - ENB at the Tate Gallery and ENB Emerging Dancer Competition: Clifford Bishop, Evening Standard

Review - Nina Haft and Company and Facing East Dance and Music: Rita Felciano, San Francisco Bay Guardian

Eating disorders in ballet: Matthew Lawrence, Dancing Times

Sergei Polunin: I'll give up ballet by 26: Alex Needham, The Guardian

Baryshnikov as an (inadvertent) business mentor: Nelson Davis, Huffington Post

Links – Thursday March 8, 2012

Review - Nederlands Dans Theater 2, mixed bill, London:

2 stars, Clement Crisp,
Financial Times

4 stars, Clifford Bishop,
Evening Standard

3 stars, Judith Mackrell,
The Guardian

Review - San Francisco Ballet, Romeo and Juliet:

Mary Ellen Hunt,
San Francisco Chronicle

Paul Parish,
Bay Area Reporter

Review - Mark Morris Dance Group, Choral Fantasy, Four Saints in Three Acts: Deborah Jowitt, The Arts Journal

Review - Birmingham Royal Ballet, Daphnis and Chloe, The Two Pigeons: David Bellan, Oxford Times

Review - Stephen Petronio, mixed bill, NY: Gia Kourlas, New York Times

Review - Gabriel Missé and Analia Centurión, Milongas, NY: Alastair Macaulay, New York Times

Review - Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, mixed bill, LA: Jean Lenihan, Los Angeles Times

Review - Rafaela Carrasco, New York City Center’s Flamenco Festival 2012: Jocelyn Noveck, Boston Globe

Review - City Ballet of San Diego, Balanchine bill: Krist Eitland, SanDiego.com

Review - Vancouver International Dance Festival: Kaija Pepper, Globe and Mail

Liam Scarlett, A Cherubic Choreographer: Julie Kavanagh, The Economist

Lin Hwai-min of Cloud Gate Dance Theatre: Jane Albert, The Australian

Review - Russian State Ballet of Siberia, La Fille mal gardée, Edinburgh: Kelly Apter, The Scotsman

Preview - Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre, Neumeier’s A Streetcar Named Desire: Mark Kanny, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Sergei Polunin, the James Dean of the ballet world: Sarah Crompton, The Telegraph

Salt Lake City's Ballet West will star in reality TV show: Scott D. Pierce, Salt Lake Tribune

Diamonds are the Royal Ballet of Flanders’ best friend: Claire Adler, Financial Times

NYCB Spring Gala with a French twist: Melena Ryzik, New York Times

When I saw Miami City Ballet some years ago I thought they were terrific.

I'm very glad that you and others like them so much. Each year on my way back to Europe I make a quick stop in Florida primarily to see them. This year I saw Liam Scarlett's "Viscera" (Great!) and they have another of his works planned for next year. Much of this must be credited to Edward Villella (founder and Director), I believe. They also performed Jerome Robbins' "In the Night" and George Balanchine's "Ballet Imperial". Those who saw the Mariinsky perform these two works last summer in London would have seen a wonderful contrast. I think that both companies' "Ballet Imperial"s were equally fine.

Last summer MCB was in Paris and was very well received. I believe that they have been invited back for the summer of 2014.

Edited by Buddy

Links – Friday March 9, 2012

Review - San Francisco Ballet, Romeo and Juliet:

Rita Felciano,
Danceview Times

Sean Martinfield,
Huffington Post

Review - Batsheva Dance Company, Hora: Alastair Macaulay, New York Times

Review - Nederlands Dans Theater 2, mixed bill, London:

Sarah Crompton,
Telegraph

Neil Norman,
The Stage

Review - Hofesh Schechter, Political Mother, New Zealand: Jennifer Shennan, Dominion Post

Review - Russian Ballet Icons Gala, London: Graham Watts, Londondance.com

Review - Northern Ballet, Madame Butterfly: Jayne Dawson, Yorkshire Evening Post

Review - Royal Winnipeg Ballet, Giselle: Alison Mayes, Winnipeg Free Press

Review - Pia Meuthen (Panama Pictures), Skin, London: Zoe Anderson, The Independent

New Work From Michael Clark Company in Barbican 2012/13 Season: DanceTabs

New York City Ballet Spring Gala to feature Natalie Portman: Broadway World

Links – Saturday March 10, 2012

Review - Stephen Petronio, The Architecture of Loss, NY:

Deborah Jowitt,
Arts Journal

Apollinaire Scherr,
Financial Times

Leigh Witchel,
New York Post

Review - Russian Ballet Icons, Anna Pavlova Gala, London: Jann Parry, DanceTabs

Review - Houston Ballet, mixed bill: Brittanie Shey, Houston Press

Review - Northern Ballet, Madame Butterfly, Leeds: Charles Hutchinson, York Press

Review - Pam Tanowitz Dance, The Blue Ballet, NY:

Alastair Macaulay,
New York Times

Mary Cargill,
Danceview Times

Review - Pennsylvania Ballet, Messiah, Pittsburgh: Ellen Dunkel, Philadelphia Inquirer

Review - Ballet Hispanico, Boston: Jeffery Gantz, Boston Globe

Reivew - North Carolina Dance Theatre, Sleeping Beauty: Steven Brown, Charlotte Observer

Review - Jodi Melnick, solos, NY: Gia Kourlas, New York Times

Review - Same Planet, mixed bill, Chicago: Zachary Whittenburg, Time Out Chicago

Review - Russian State Ballet of Siberia, Swan Lake, Edinburgh: Josie Balfour, The Scotsman

Review - Ballet British Columbia, mixed bill, Vancouver: Kaija Pepper, The Globe and Mail

Review - Showqueen Productions, Fat Swan: Simonne Michelle-Wells, Australian Stage

Talking - Iain Webb and Jean Weidner, Sarasota Ballet: Carrie Seidman, Arts Sarasota

Kathryn Morgan (NYCB) gets Mobile: Thomas B. Harrison, Press-Register

This week’s new dance (London), BRB, Shobana Jeyasingh: Judith Mackrell, The Guardian