RBS junior associates auditions

happy days

I don't think they would've contacted us even if they wanted to invite my dd down for a WL audition as I had a long chat with a lady at RBS about the politics of only ticking the mids box and how much we didn't want our DD to go to WL. They were very clear on our feelings on that before the mids audition!!

Anyway we have left the topic slightly so will leave it there!!

Edited by eloise_please

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My DD was a very young year 4 when she started JAs being just 7 when she did the audition. She coped fine with the classes but was always ravenous by the end of class and we both found 3 years of early morning classes having to leave home before 6.30 with hair tortured into crossed plaits a big commitment.

My DD was a very young year 4 when she started JAs being just 7 when she did the audition. She coped fine with the classes but was always ravenous by the end of class and we both found 3 years of early morning classes having to leave home before 6.30 with hair tortured into crossed plaits a big commitment.[/quote)

Gosh celb I had forgotten how young they actually were when they did the audition.

It is a very big commitment especially when it also involved our dc's missing a lot of Fridays at school.After 3 years my younger dd only made SWL for a mids place and my elder dd didn't even get that although she was only there for yr6 .

Some will be lucky enough to go all the way into upper school but the majority never will .

All said it was lovely to have been part of the RBS associates and was a big part of MY life for 4 years ,I have also made some lovely friends through it.

Edited by HAIRBELLES
  • Like 6

It always makes me so nostalgic when I read about the upcoming JA auditions ... My dd was also accepted for year 4, which is now a good few years (and speed bumps) ago, but she does have a birthday very early in the academic year so will have been quite a bit older than most year 4s. Good luck everyone ... It still seems like only yesterday and I can still remember the day she opened that very first letter, she just screamed!

• Like 1

Hello,

I posted on here about a year ago about JAs and everyone was very friendly and helpful. We decided to leave auditioning until

this year, and yesterday DDs ballet teacher spent ages helping us get the photos right. So the form will be going in the post this week (fortunately we are wanting a London audition as the other centres' deadline has passed!) I was very grateful to her teacher for her attention to detail in the photos, ensuring the correct line, posture etc. My dd got a bit worried as she found holding a couple of the poses hard but her teacher reassured her that they don't normally have to stay that still when dancing! So now we just have to wait and see! I think I know really that she won't get in - but what fun to say she auditioned for the RBS JAs! Even just being brave enough to try deserves admiration in my book! Maybe we'll see some of you in London? :)

• Like 8

Hi Katycustard Like you I didnt know what to expect it was a bit like stepping into the unknown and much the same with my dd, her attitude was to enjoy herself and the experience of attending an audition something that she had never done before.  You never know the outcome and for us it was a really big surprise even to her teacher!

Ax

Hi katycustard, good luck to your dd,my dd has been a ja at london since yr 5, the classes are excellent.my dd has thoroughly enjoyed her time as a ja and made friends.she is now looking forward to starting at white lodge in sept! My advice for the audition is smile & for your dd to show them how much she enjoys ballet.x

• Like 2

My dd auditioned and was accepted for a year 4 place which she is enjoying so much. I too, heard that not many year 4 spaces are offered so really just took her for the experience which she really enjoyed.

In her current class there are 7 year 4's and 9 year 5's so I guess age isn't the most important factor.

Good luck to all auditioning - remember to smile and enjoy the experience. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - my first post on the forum.....my DD has just turned 10 and we are suddenly immersed in auditions and summer school applications.  DD will be auditioning for RBS JAs and Elmhurst JAs next month.  She has got through to the final auditions for NYB in a couple of weeks time, but just got a "no" letter for RBS Summer School which was very disappointing for her.  

I'm really hoping that she will get a place as an RBS JA - does anyone know what the class times are for Birmingham JAs?

Any wise words gratefully received from a nervous newbie DM!

Last year RBS JA's  Birmingham were on Saturday afternoons and Elmhurst JA's Birmingham were Saturday mornings. I can't remember the exact times sorry.They may be different this year. Best of luck to you and DD. It will be very exciting auditioning, try to keep positive and help her enjoy it as much as possible.x

Hi good luck to your dd in her ja audition, the best advice i can offer is for your dd to try to relax, smile and really listen & concentrate on what the teacher is saying. It is also a good idea to practice flexibility exercises, perhaps ask your local dance teacher about this, as dd had to do box splits & froggy leg in her ja auditions.x

• Like 1

Thank you Peach3 and balletjack - Saturday afternoons would be perfect for us as my DD has a class at her local dance school that she would ideally like to carry on with so fingers crossed.

DD has great flexibility - has 3 flat splits - but it's the smile that's the problem! :)  She loves to dance but doesn't always remember to show it on her face, especially when she's nervous or concentrating.  Having said that, I'm sure she'll be determined to shine after not getting a place for RBS Summer School.

Spannerandpony, thanks for the welcome - I must admit I've been reading posts for some time now and find the forum to be really valuable for information especially when you're new to the ballet world! 

• Like 1

My dd auditioned last year and she said they did very basic dancing, skipping, ports de bras, etc., barre work then centre work (line by line), followed by flexibility exercises, box splits, cobra, frogs (lying down). They made it fun and enjoyable for the children and put them at ease, my dd loved it.