Dance on terrestrial TV

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tuned in by chance yesterday to The Big Painting Challenge on BBC1. I generally try to avoid these types of programmes and this one seemed to be no exception, in that it contained just about every cliché known to the genre. However, this episode was about capturing the human body in motion. The challenge was to produce a painting of a live solo dancer and then a group of dancers. Interpretation of the action was up to the painters.

The results differed hugely, as one might expect. Some showed an eye for the subject, some none at all. Anyway, my question, if anyone who may have watched the episode, is who were the dancers? Their names flashed by in the credits which I have tried to rewatch on my tablet but it refuses to pause at the right moment, so I can read them.

They were from the London Ballet Company, Jacqueline. I hadn't heard of them before, but their website says: 'The London Ballet Company brings the highest quality dance performances to intimate theatres, venues, and bespoke engagements'. I think the task was near impossinle, bearing in mind that they did not have the dancers in front of them for much of the time. I wonder why they didn't have two groups of dancers that could pose and rest in turn.

Edited by cavycapers
  • Like 1

They were from the London Ballet Company, Jacqueline. I hadn't heard of them before, but their website says: 'The London Ballet Company brings the highest quality dance performances to intimate theatres, venues, and bespoke engagements'. I think the task was near impossinle, bearing in mind that they did not have the dancers in front of them for much of the time. I wonder why they didn't have two groups of dancers that could pose and rest in turn.

Many thanks for that info. I also thought the task was near impossible. I think I heard the presenters say the painters had just two hours to come up with something representative of the dancers and their movements or stillness. No wonder there were so many disjointed limbs and odd splodges of colour. I did quite like the one by the blonde haired woman whose name I can't remember. It was more of a suggestion of shape, colours and movement, than an attempt to paint real body shape and could make a good poster or greetings card. The picture of the three dancers en pointe made them look like they all needed the loo!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On Sunday April 2nd at 8 pm BBC4 is showing a 1-hour programme called Giselle: Belle of the Ballet, in which Tamara Rojo uses ENB's two productions as a basis for an examination of "the cultural and social background to the ballet's genesis in 1840s Paris, and the spiritual themes that have fuelled its success over the last 175 years."

There's a clip showing the first 3 minutes of the programme here

• Like 6

On Sunday April 2nd at 8 pm BBC4 is showing a 1-hour programme called Giselle: Belle of the Ballet, in which Tamara Rojo uses ENB's two productions as a basis for an examination of "the cultural and social background to the ballet's genesis in 1840s Paris, and the spiritual themes that have fuelled its success over the last 175 years."

Sounds great! (How does TR do it all??!!).

• Like 2

Thank you for that great clip, Jane.  Will look forward to the programme.

• Like 2

On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 17:27, Jane S said:

Thought I'd better bump this, because what with the software upgrade many people may not have registered that it was posted.

• 3 weeks later...

BBC-2    Saturday 23 April, 7:55 am    Film "That's Entertainment!" (1974)

Compilation of highlights from MGM musicals. Among the cast: Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Cyd Charisse, Gene Kelly, not to mention dozens of other stars.

Edit: Complete credited cast   http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072272/

Edited by Amelia
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Amelia said:

BBC-2    Saturday 23 April, 7:55 am    Film "That's Entertainment!" (1974)

Compilation of highlights from MGM musicals. Among the cast: Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Cyd Charisse, Gene Kelly, not to mention dozens of other stars.

Edit: Complete credited cast   http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072272/

This is the first and the best of four superb compilations mainly from MGM musicals - TE1, 2, and 3 plus That's Dancing. To quote Frank Sinatra in TE1 - “You can wait around and hope but you’ll never see the likes of these again”.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, David said:

This is the first and the best of four superb compilations mainly from MGM musicals - TE1, 2, and 3 plus That's Dancing. To quote Frank Sinatra in TE1 - “You can wait around and hope but you’ll never see the likes of these again”.

And it's given me "That's Entertainment" as an earworm. 

• Like 2

BBC TWO   6 June 06:25 am  That's Entertainment! III
More classic excerpts from MGM musicals, starring Judy Garland and Fred Astaire.

BBC TWO   6 June   09:05 am   Silk Stockings
Cyd Charisse stars as a Soviet agent who falls in love with Fred Astaire. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amelia said:

BBC TWO   6 June 06:25 am  That's Entertainment! III
More classic excerpts from MGM musicals, starring Judy Garland and Fred Astaire.

BBC TWO   6 June   09:05 am   Silk Stockings
Cyd Charisse stars as a Soviet agent who falls in love with Fred Astaire. 

It is next Saturday 6th May, not June, that these are on.

On 29/04/2017 at 13:00, alison said:

Borrowed from the Crystal Pite/Betroffenheit thread:

Unmissable, in my opinion.

Just a reminder for people to set their recorders for Sunday night, if they feel so inclined :)  BBC4, I think at 9 pm, but do check.

I will clearly be in a minority of one, if not actually up for lynching, and I know that the Betroffenheit back story was terribly tragic, which makes a negative reaction that much more difficult, but I found it selfconscious, unintelligible, overlong and I was so frozen with boredom that I could barely make it through to the end. It was, by the way, very much liked by a certain Exeunt contributor.

• 5 weeks later...

Has anyone recorded “Pride and Prejudice” (1940 film) which was shown on BBC2 last Sunday?

A friend of mine who is doing research on social dance in films asked me to record it. I dutifully set up recording but after 2 hours noticed that recording lasted only 30 min. My old Sony does it sometimes. Such a bad luck!
I shall be very grateful if someone, who recorded it, can share it with me. I can offer something interesting in exchange.

5 hours ago, Amelia said:

Has anyone recorded “Pride and Prejudice” (1940 film) which was shown on BBC2 last Sunday?

A friend of mine who is doing research on social dance in films asked me to record it. I dutifully set up recording but after 2 hours noticed that recording lasted only 30 min. My old Sony does it sometimes. Such a bad luck!
I shall be very grateful if someone, who recorded it, can share it with me. I can offer something interesting in exchange.

Here it is (for under the cost of what Amazon would ask for just postage!):-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pride-and-Prejudice-Greer-Garson-Laurence-Olivier-Romance-1940-/222523766409?hash=item33cf733689:g:VhQAAOSwfRdZMGZf

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Geoff said:

I've only just seen this post but I recorded it too - luckily with more success so I can burn it to DVD for my collection. Much as I admire Colin Firth's interpretation I still think Olivier's resolutely charmless Darcy is brilliantly successful.  Though it's a pity the costumes are of the Victorian era, rather than the more appropriate Regency.

I've noticed that the dear old Beeb has been showing a lot of classics lately and they tend to be uncut and, of course, without those dratted ads.   But if you want to buy commercial DVDs of 20th Century classics you can find them in all sorts of odd places.  The Edinburgh Wool Factory shop, for example, found in many Wyevale garden centres, always has a very good selection of these lovely old movies and all for a few pounds.

Linda

Incidentally I'm happy to help anyone who would appreciate access to my old movies collection.

Edited by loveclassics
P.S.
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Amelia said:

Well, you can find it online here

Something interesting? 

• Like 1