Dance on terrestrial TV

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A number of new BBC ballet programmes have been announced. 

Thank you Bluebird. I wonder which RB Nutcracker will be aired? I suppose it's too much to hope that it might be the current version going out on live cinema relay on 8th December?

• Like 1

Thank you Bluebird. I wonder which RB Nutcracker will be aired? I suppose it's too much to hope that it might be the current version going out on live cinema relay on 8th December?

I think that it is just a behind the scenes documentary - not an actual performance.

Do Sky Arts ever bother *showing* any dance any more? :(

it usually comes in bursts, so perhaps they are keeping their powder dry until the festive season. Maybe

or until they run out Andre Rieu (or whatever his name is) things to show....

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

The Balletboyz film, Young Men, is still available on iPlayer for another couple of weeks. Details here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0834qvd/balletboyz-young-men

I felt sure there had been a specific reference here to this but couldn't find it. Perhaps a casualty of the earlier forum problems ? 

This is a radical revision of the stage work, now firmly set in the First World War, trimmed to a running time of 60 minutes. It was filmed in France, with plenty of mud. It is very much worth a look. 

Elizabeth McGorian and Oxana Panchenko appear as women caught up in the effects of the trauma. 

I think that it is just a behind the scenes documentary - not an actual performance.

Initial releases on the BBC Xmas schedule are now suggesting that the Documentary Tribute to Sir Peter Wright's birthday will be on BBC4 as previously noted but that BBC2 will also be screening The Nutcracker tho I haven't been able to discover which recording as yet - tho I'm guessing it will be the 2009 version again?

• Like 1

Perhaps it'll be a new one?  It's not as if they don't have plenty of options to choose from!

Which was the 2009 one?  Is it the one with Ansanelli?  I'm not sure I've seen it on terrestrial - some of them went to Sky.

Which was the 2009 one? 

Cast

Miyako Yoshida (The Sugar Plum Fairy)

Steven McRae (The Prince)

Gary Avis (Herr Drosselmeyer)

Iohna Loots (Clara)

Ricardo Cervera (Nephew / Nutcracker)

The Orchestra of the Royal Opera House; Koen Kessels

Edited by David
  • Like 2

It's good to see the BBC celebrating Sir Peter Wright's special birthday and the seasonal Nutcraker with new documentaries. Whereas Sky Arts can only muster the occasional ballet themed day repeatedly screening a small selection of performances.

If th BBC show a performance of Nutcracker at Christmas, I would love to see a screening of the BRB version for a change -easily superior to Wright's Covent Garden production. There was a recording made of a performance many years ago and it made it to DVD so it must be possible to screen it again.

• Like 5

Xmas without the BRB Nutcracker would be unthinkable. I'm just off to B'ham for the first night of this season's run and I've just booked my ticket for next season's first night on 24th Nov 2017 (!!!!) as general booking opened yest. It's amazing how far you have to book ahead to get the tickets you want!

• Like 3

If th BBC show a performance of Nutcracker at Christmas, I would love to see a screening of the BRB version for a change -easily superior to Wright's Covent Garden production. There was a recording made of a performance many years ago and it made it to DVD so it must be possible to screen it again.

It's currently available on Amazon - used - only £267.79!!

• Like 1

So now it's looking like three documentaries but no performance! Oh well - we'll know soon. Thank you Geoff.

A few weeks ago the Covent Garden box office rang me to ask if I minded changing my seat at the matinee on 29 November as the BBC wanted to film it. I imagine I wasn't the only one. 

I agreed but perhaps I should have asked searching questions in order to report back on this topic! I assume it's intended to include footage of the performance in one of the documentaries.

• Like 2

Yes I think she was Clara. Irek Mukhamedov guested as the Prince and Miyako Yoshida was the Sugar Plum Fairy.

Edited to add I hang on to my video - so many wonderful (if grainy) productions and documentaries that have disappeared from general viewing.

Edited by Odyssey

A few weeks ago the Covent Garden box office rang me to ask if I minded changing my seat at the matinee on 29 November as the BBC wanted to film it. I imagine I wasn't the only one.

I agreed but perhaps I should have asked searching questions in order to report back on this topic! I assume it's intended to include footage of the performance in one of the documentaries.

BBC have been filming behind the scenes at White Lodge and Royal Ballet, the rehearsals and preparations that go into producing The Nutcracker aswell as interviewing students/professionals. They are filming the performance on the 29th as part of this programme so some but definitely not all of the show will be in it.

I am very biased as my DD is one of the lucky White Lodgers who will be in it as a party girl this year so I can't wait to see it!! She says it has been fun although they did laugh when they wanted them to be filmed on the coach going up to ROH and looking out the window at the sights of London - they are usually only ever looking at their phones!!!!

• Like 17

I cannot imagine that Darcey's programme on Fonteyn will tell us anything we don't know or will equal the South Bank special of a few years ago. I suspect that the programme on Sir Peter will be far more interesting but not so 'box office', hence the move to the more recherchè BBC 4.

Incidentally I do wish there could be an updated recording of the BRB Nutcracker. As I remember it the filming of the original cast + Mukhamedov was very dark in places and the glorious transformation scene really did not come over anything like as well as it should have,

• Like 3

Edited to add I hang on to my video - so many wonderful (if grainy) productions and documentaries that have disappeared from general viewing.

Me too, Odyssey - although what state my videos will be in when I finally get them out of storage I dread to think! :(

I cannot imagine that Darcey's programme on Fonteyn will tell us anything we don't know or will equal the South Bank special of a few years ago.

I rather think the same, if recent form is anything to go by, the programme will be mostly about Darcey. But hopefully there will be lots of footage of Margot in lovely action. Almost anything is better than nothing.

• Like 3

I cannot imagine that Darcey's programme on Fonteyn will tell us anything we don't know or will equal the South Bank special of a few years ago.

I rather think the same, if recent form is anything to go by, the programme will be mostly about Darcey. But hopefully there will be lots of footage of Margot in lovely action. Almost anything is better than nothing.

You know after that comprehensive documentary 'Margot' ... I really do wish the BBC would concentrate on doing one on another Royal Ballet leader who is sill with us - and who might indeed be able to present just such a programme themselves.  Of female dancers I would love to see an in depth programme on, say, Sibley, Seymour or Beryl Grey (with the latter two crossing over given their LFB/ENB involvements). .... Still, I suppose these would not be as attractive to international sales markets ... and that is obviously key in the minds of current BBC commissioning editors fighting for their jobs.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 10

I just caught a few seconds preview of the Sir Peter Wright doc. as part of a montage of forthcoming programmes on BBC 4. It was a clip from the RB production including the curtain call which appeared to show Francesca in the Sugar Plum fairy costume ( the wig is always off putting). If the BBC has gone to the trouble and expense of filming these sequences,setting the lighting and camera positions etc, surely it follows that it is cost effective to have filmed/edited the whole production for a future transmission. Or am I being blissfully ignorant of the economics/politics of broadcasting performances?

• 2 months later...